ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1964 - Dezo Hoffman
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Virus could halt Toronto shows Return to archive
04-25-03 09:57 PM
Lazy Bones Virus could halt Toronto shows

Coldplay will play their June concert in the city
The Sars virus may mean the cancellation of several forthcoming major concerts in the Canadian city of Toronto as promoters grow wary over health fears.

The city has already suffered 16 Sars deaths since the disease was identified a month ago.

It follows cancellations in Asia by top acts such as the Rolling Stones, Moby and Carlos Santana since the outbreak.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has already recommended against non-essential travel to Toronto.

Now agents for several artists supposed to play in Toronto are expressing their wariness about going ahead with the dates.

"We're in the process of trying to finalize their tours and confirm dates and we'll run it past our clients and take into account the latest developments and try to help them evaluate the risks themselves," said Rob Prinz of United Talent Agency.

The agency represents bands such as Blur and Placebo.

"If there's an outbreak of a disease in a particular part of the world and going to that part of the world might put our clients at risk," said Prinz.

He said it was natural to evaluate the situation constantly until the outbreak cleared up.

Lisa-Marie Presley already cancelled a promotional visit to the city on 10 April because of fears about the pneumonia-like virus.

A concert featuring Sir Elton John and US artist Billy Joel scheduled for next Monday at the Air Canada Centre was still on, said Riley O'Connor, senior vice president for House of Blues Concerts Canada.

'Business as usual'

Other major acts supposed to play in the near future include the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Queens of the Stones Age, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Earle and Coldplay.

A spokeswoman for Coldplay's label EMI told BBC News Online on Friday that it was "business as usual" and the band planned to play the show on 11 June at the city's Molson Amphitheatre.

The reaction by international agencies to the Toronto outbreak has upset local concert promoters.

Mick Jagger
Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones are touring the world

"There's been no direct fallout on our business per se, but I can say one thing quite categorically as a person who lives and works in Toronto, the reaction by the media and the WHO travel advisory is totally out of proportion to reality," O'Connor said.
04-25-03 10:02 PM
Lazy Bones Now, my 2 cents...

What a load of bullshit! Ask anyone in Toronto about it. Brenda..? Talk about implementing fear and crushing a city. Just more media-induced misrepresentation of reality.
04-26-03 10:04 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Other major acts supposed to play in the near future include the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Queens of the Stones Age, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Earle and Coldplay.

Queens of the Stones Age??? ROTFL!! It is a more appropiate name in this board, I admit, but...
You'd think editors check pieces before it's published, wouldn't ya?
04-26-03 10:19 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Now, my 2 cents...

What a load of bullshit! Ask anyone in Toronto about it. Brenda..? Talk about implementing fear and crushing a city. Just more media-induced misrepresentation of reality.

I'm curious....LB.......is this REALLY being totally blown out of proportion??

I'm in Buffalo and they're warning us to stay out of Canada!! Shit.....they're talking about putting CDC officials at the Peace Bridge and Niagara Falls Bridges to screen all incoming cars!!

Scary stuff!!

LadyJ.

04-26-03 11:49 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I'm curious....LB.......is this REALLY being totally blown out of proportion??

Without a doubt! I did a simple search for "Health Canada", the very first news flash/update - "2 in US may have SARS after trip to Canada". Now, you don't here about the thousands of tourists visiting Toronto, let alone Canada, every day that are fine, do you? Nor will you ever hear about the status of these 2 Americans if thery're cleared, will you?! The public and media are never interested in the healthy - only the sick!! There's approx 3 million people in Toronto alone (not including the GTA - Greater Toronto Area) that still pack malls, public transit, theatres, sporting events, concerts...you get the point.

Here are the numbers from Report #39 via Health Canada (these have been processed and released on a regular basis since 16 March).

Latest Canadian Numbers on SARS

As of April 25, 2003, Health Canada has received reports of 341 probable or suspect cases of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in Canada. There have been 18 deaths in Canada. To date, transmission has been limited to specific transmission settings such as households, hospitals and specific community settings. The information contained in this update is based on the information available to Health Canada at this time.

The details of the cases to date are as follows:

* Ontario is reporting 138 probable and 127 suspect cases.
* British Columbia is reporting 4 probable and 60 suspect cases.
* New Brunswick is reporting 2 suspect cases.
* Saskatchewan is reporting 1 suspect case.
* Alberta is reporting 5 suspect cases.
* Prince Edward Island is reporting 4 suspect cases.

Total # of probables discharged: 75
Total # of probables recovering at home: 2
Total # of suspects discharged: 85
Total # of suspects recovering at home: 69

These numbers are accurate as of 1:00 pm. Eastern Daylight Saving Time, April 25, 2003. For specific information on the provincial numbers, please contact the appropriate provincial health department.

Here are questions and answers provided by HC relating to SARS. Note question 7, as it will elimate myths to who is at risk.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/protection/warnings/sars/sars_questions.html

04-26-03 12:48 PM
Lazy Bones How ironic, as Elton would have a greater chance of getting AIDS while in Toronto.

Elton, Billy bail out on ACC show
Cancellation cites WHO advisory
By LAURA BOBAK
Toronto Sun

Like a candle in the wind, Monday's concert by Elton John and Billy Joel has been snuffed out by SARS.

Producers announced late yesterday that the highly anticipated show at the Air Canada Centre by the two piano virtuosos will be a non-starter.

"Elton John and Billy Joel are both deeply disappointed that the show cannot proceed on Monday and plans are under way to attempt to reschedule the Face to Face Toronto engagement," said a statement on Elton John's official Web site (www.eltonjohn.com).

According to John's site, producers are blaming the decision on a controversial travel advisory from the World Health Organization.

"Tour insurers have been advised against the show taking place in the interest of public safety in Toronto and other concert stops by the EJ/BJ tour, potentially jeopardizing the remainder of the tour," the Web site said.

About 100 musicians and crew from around the world travel on the tour. They are due to return to their homes in the mid-May, after completing the remaining six shows in North America.

Ticket holders will be able to obtain refunds at place of purchase as of Monday.

Riley O'Connor, the senior vice-president for House of Blues Concerts Canada, told Reuters he had been updating both John and Joel daily about SARS.

"I update them with releases from Health Canada, the Toronto Board of Health and the Centers for Disease Control," O'Connor said.

"There's been no direct fallout on our business per se, but I can say one thing quite categorically as a person who lives and works in Toronto, the reaction by the media and the WHO travel advisory is totally out of proportion to reality."

He said the next big show at the ACC is Matchbox Twenty on May 7.

A spokesman for the group's label, Atlantic, said the band was still planning to perform.

BOOKINGS UNCERTAIN

SARS has already caused rock stars The Rolling Stones and Santana to cancel concerts in Asia. Before the WHO warning, Lisa Marie Presley cancelled an April 10 promotional visit to Toronto.

Talent agents are reconsidering booking shows here and in Asia.

"There's an outbreak of a disease in a particular part of the world and going to that part of the world might put our clients at risk," said Rob Prinz, of United Talent Agency, which represents such artists as rapper Nelly and British bands Blur and Placebo. "I think it's only natural to evaluate the logic of going there until things clear up."

Prinz said several of his artists who were planning to perform in Toronto in July are now not sure.

"We're in the process of trying to finalize their tours and confirm dates and we'll run it past our clients and take into account the latest developments and try to help them evaluate the risks themselves," Prinz said.

Yesterday the ACC said all other events remain on their originally scheduled dates, including tonight's Toronto Rock lacrosse game as well as the balance of concerts set for the month of May.
04-26-03 12:51 PM
Miss U. Hi LB....

Yes there are tons of people still doing their daily activities, shopping, using subways etc with no masks on. Very rare to see anyone wearing a mask.
I think I heard on the news they are counting 20 days (without any new cases of SARS) before determining it's no longer epidemic...and it's been about 10 days now in Toronto since no new cases.
I'll admit this thing scared me, esp since my immune system is deprived so I can potentially catch anything out there...been washing my hands alot!!!
Would be great to see Coldplay, F Mac, RHCP.
04-26-03 01:27 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
Hi LB....

Yes there are tons of people still doing their daily activities, shopping, using subways etc with no masks on. Very rare to see anyone wearing a mask.
I think I heard on the news they are counting 20 days (without any new cases of SARS) before determining it's no longer epidemic...and it's been about 10 days now in Toronto since no new cases.
I'll admit this thing scared me, esp since my immune system is deprived so I can potentially catch anything out there...been washing my hands alot!!!
Would be great to see Coldplay, F Mac, RHCP.

Thanks for you're imput, Miss U. I just hope that SARS doesn't jeopardize the fate of the Neil Young and Allman Brothers shows in Toronto . If only these cancelling acts could talk to the let-down fans that have to actually live in the city - most, without fear.

Two days ago, Major League Baseball (MLB) advised visiting clubs to Toronto to not use public transit.

Btw, Miss U., did you see Mel Lastman (Toronto's mayor) on CNN the other night? I was flipping through the channels and saw Mel being interviewed by Aaron (I think it's Aaron - the late night anchorman).

Oh, and further more, I like your avatar, Miss U! It's a great pic. Makes me smile when I see it.
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
04-26-03 05:58 PM
Angiegirl I heard a few doctors say on tv (on CNN and on Dutch news) that those masks don't work at all, because of the nature of the disease and the way that flu is being transmitted (very close contact with a contaminated person etc)??
Hell, I don't know anything, no cases here in Holland yet, so...
04-28-03 02:49 PM
Miss U. Thx LB!!
04-28-03 03:24 PM
Callie I am in Toronto too and the media is blowing this so out of proportion!
I travel the subway regularly and trust me it is still packed as ever.
Bars are still busy, the restuarant I work at has been doing great business.
Personally I have felt no effects from it at all. I've seen one person wearing a mask.

As far as cancelling shows go, I think it's ridiculous. But in the mean time I will still be going out
and supporting local acts instead. There are some great original bands in this town and also there's a
thing called Classic Albums Live which is a group of local musician reproducing classic albums "note for note,
cut for cut". I caught the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon show last month at the Phoenix and it was amazing!
In May (22 I think) they are doing Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and in June it's Exile on Main St.
You can find out more on the website Classicalbumslive.com
I will be going to both of those shows and out to other bars same as always.

Callie
04-28-03 05:53 PM
polytoxic SARS is definitely being blown out of proportion, but headline news coverage will do that. The SARS thing was going on here for about three weeks to a month before CNN and the rest really ran with the story.
When it first came to light here, everyone was freaked out. For a few days. But then it became obvious that it was only in a couple of hospitals and not out "on the street". After you've taken the subway at rush hour crammed like sardines for a couple of weeks and you realise no-one (and I mean no one) has gotten sick you ease back. Also, people here know that most (like about 90%) of the people who got sick got 100% better on their own. Basically, the type of person who thinks they'll show up here and get SARS are the same people who think that if you swim on a Florida beach, you'll be attacked by a shark, or if you go to New York City you'll be mugged. It's that same kind of hype. And I really can't help but notice the folks who cancelled are, well, pussies. notice there isn't a real rock'n'roller in the bunch. This is not to belittle the people who have had their lives turned upside down, either by missing work due to quarintine, losing access to valuable medical procedures as a result of the hospital shutdown. (Three people died last week because their liver transplant surgeries were postponed), or, in the worst case, people that lost loved ones. It has been a big, big drag, but some pespective has been lost along the way.
04-28-03 06:23 PM
polytoxic Oh man, I'm ROTFLMAO.
Just saw a clip from the Daily Show that really nailed it.

On the concern of SARS here:

"If you are in your 80's and have a history of respiratory problems, I'd make my peace with the Lord before licking any door handles"
04-28-03 07:55 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Callie wrote:
I caught the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon show last month at the Phoenix and it was amazing!
In May (22 I think) they are doing Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and in June it's Exile on Main St.
You can find out more on the website Classicalbumslive.com
I will be going to both of those shows and out to other bars same as always.
Callie

Callie, firstly, welcome to the board!

The Phoenix date for Exile On Main St. is 19th June. Midnight Ramblers will be the performers. They're fantasic! I saw them last year as they played the night of Stones Places' grand opening. Craig Martin (MR's lead singer) is instrumental with this series, particularly the Dark Side Of The Moon performance. I'll be there.

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.
June 19, 2003

Ticket Info:
$12 advance
$15 at the door

TICKETMASTER:
online @ ticketmaster.ca
By phone: 416-870-8000
Doors open @ 9pm 19+ ID Required.

04-30-03 12:07 PM
Lazy Bones World Health 0rganization lifts Toronto travel advisory, maintains advice for areas of China

30 April 2003 | GENEVA -- Effective today, the World Health Organization (WHO) is lifting the travel advisory for Toronto, Canada. The advisory recommended considering postponing non-essential travel to Toronto, and was issued as a precautionary measure one week ago in order to minimize the international spread of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). WHO is lifting this advisory as the situation in Toronto has now improved.

Travel advisories are issued following consideration of several factors, including the magnitude of probable SARS cases, the last dates of cases of community transmission, and the last dates of export of cases.

In Toronto, the magnitude of probable SARS cases has decreased; twenty days have now passed since the last cases of community transmission; and, no new confirmed exportation of cases has occurred.

�We are lifting the travel advice for Toronto, Canada, effective Wednesday, 30 April.� stated Dr Gro Harlem Brundtland, Director-General of the WHO. �However, due to continued recent transmission in the hospital setting, Toronto still has an outbreak of SARS, and the lifting of this travel advice does not change Toronto�s status as an "affected" area.

The WHO issued exit screening advice for SARS-affected areas on 27 March. The WHO welcomes the report from Canadian officials that exit screening for SARS will be improved.

�To minimize the risk of the export of SARS, we ask that all affected areas implement the recommended pro-active screening measures � by interviewing passengers at the airport check-in,� said Dr Brundtland.

The WHO has also reviewed the travel advisories for areas of China, including Beijing, Guangdong province, Shanxi province and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. The WHO advisories to consider postponing non-essential travel to these areas, remain in place. The WHO reviews travel advisories regularly.
04-30-03 01:02 PM
Callie Thanks LB!

I understand the musicians involved will change for every
album but Craig is the producer of the whole project. I know
one of the guitar players on the Fleetwood Mac concert and he's
amazing. Can't wait to see the show!

Callie

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003