ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Doris Richards Funeral - 1 May 2007
© Matrix with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A blind guy named Miles flies from London to Sydney Return to archive
30th April 2007 04:12 PM
tumbled This morning I woke up with the thought MILES STANDOFFISH in my head. and I am going, wtf am I thinking about this word for:?? just out of the clear blue sky. then I turned on the news and this story was on the tv:]

cue theme of twilight zone

Blind Pilot Flies From London to Sydney
The Associated Press
Monday, April 30, 2007; 9:24 AM

SYDNEY, Australia -- A blind British adventurer touched down in Sydney Monday to end an epic 13,500-mile flight by microlight aircraft from London.

Miles Hilton-Barber braved snowstorms, freezing temperatures and torrential downpours during his 54-day journey under the supervision of sighted co-pilot Richard Meredith-Hardy.

Blind microlight pilot Miles Hilton-Barber of Great Britain reacts after landing at Sydney's Bankstown Airport after completing his flight from England to Australia, Monday April 30, 2007. Hilton-Barber, 58, who has been blind for 25 years, and his co-pilot Richard Meredith-Hardy left London on March 7 on their 13,200 miles journey to Australia. (AP Photo/Mark Baker) (Mark Baker - AP)

"It's the fulfillment of an amazing dream," Hilton-Barber, 58, told reporters at Sydney's Bankstown airport. "I've wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid. Now I'm totally blind and I've had the privilege of flying more than halfway around the world."

Hilton-Barber, who lost his eyesight to a hereditary condition about 20 years ago, is hoping the trip will raise $2 million for the charity Seeing is Believing, which works for the prevention of blindness in developing countries.

He took to the skies from Biggin Hill air base in south London on March 7 in a microlight aircraft, which looks like a cross between a tricycle and a motorized hang-glider, with the aid of an audio device that reads out navigational information such as air speed and altitude.

Hilton-Barber also has conquered Mount Kilimanjaro and Mont Blanc, run marathons in the Sahara and Gobi deserts, and even attempted to reach the South Pole, hauling a sledge over 250 miles of Antarctic ice.

Miles Hilton-Barber's blog: http://www.mileshilton-barber.com/blog

Seeing is Believing: http://www.seeingisbelieving.org.uk

[Edited by tumbled]
[Edited by tumbled]
30th April 2007 04:14 PM
Joey

Hello tumbled :

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30th April 2007 04:31 PM
MrPleasant Blind

30th April 2007 04:38 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Blind

omg did she ever fuck up...
you're fired.
30th April 2007 04:40 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
tumbled wrote:
This morning I woke up with the thought MILES STANDOFFISH in my head. and I am going, wtf am I thinking about this word for:?? just out of the clear blue sky. then I turned on the news and this story was on the tv:]

cue theme of twilight zone

Blind Pilot Flies From London to Sydney
The Associated Press
Monday, April 30, 2007; 9:24 AM

SYDNEY, Australia -- A blind British adventurer touched down in Sydney Monday to end an epic 13,500-mile flight by microlight aircraft from London.

Miles Hilton-Barber braved snowstorms, freezing temperatures and torrential downpours during his 54-day journey under the supervision of sighted co-pilot Richard Meredith-Hardy.

Blind microlight pilot Miles Hilton-Barber of Great Britain reacts after landing at Sydney's Bankstown Airport after completing his flight from England to Australia, Monday April 30, 2007. Hilton-Barber, 58, who has been blind for 25 years, and his co-pilot Richard Meredith-Hardy left London on March 7 on their 13,200 miles journey to Australia. (AP Photo/Mark Baker) (Mark Baker - AP)

"It's the fulfillment of an amazing dream," Hilton-Barber, 58, told reporters at Sydney's Bankstown airport. "I've wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid. Now I'm totally blind and I've had the privilege of flying more than halfway around the world."

Hilton-Barber, who lost his eyesight to a hereditary condition about 20 years ago, is hoping the trip will raise $2 million for the charity Seeing is Believing, which works for the prevention of blindness in developing countries.

He took to the skies from Biggin Hill air base in south London on March 7 in a microlight aircraft, which looks like a cross between a tricycle and a motorized hang-glider, with the aid of an audio device that reads out navigational information such as air speed and altitude.

Hilton-Barber also has conquered Mount Kilimanjaro and Mont Blanc, run marathons in the Sahara and Gobi deserts, and even attempted to reach the South Pole, hauling a sledge over 250 miles of Antarctic ice.

Miles Hilton-Barber's blog: http://www.mileshilton-barber.com/blog

Seeing is Believing: http://www.seeingisbelieving.org.uk

[Edited by tumbled]
[Edited by tumbled]

this is incredible...
i wouldn't want to be in that plane tho....unless the piolet washed his hands
30th April 2007 04:42 PM
tumbled Does your kitty really have those green eyes or is he wearing fake color contacts?

In other news:

Oxford Street goes mad for Moss
Last updated at 21:05pm on 30th April 2007

Kate Moss has delighted crowds by posing in the window at Oxford Street's Topshop store for the eagerly awaited launch of her collection.

Thousands of photographers and members of the public waited hours outside the shop's main window for a glimpse of the style icon - and she did not disappoint!
Kate posing in the Topshop window to excited crowds in Oxford Street tonight

London College of Fashion student Theo Regisford, 21, from east London, said: "I am a big fan of Kate Moss. She is an icon of our generation, a true style icon.

"There are about 1,000 people queuing so I don't think that's worth my while. It's just a good opportunity to see her."
The mannequin in the window is Kate

Gallery: Kate Moss' Topshop collection is launched
Topshop braced for Moss collection rush
Kate Moss to join mannequins in TopShop window for clothing launch
When Kate met Philip: Green reveals the story behind Moss' Topshop deal

First in line outside the chain's Oxford Street store was Yasmin Kidd, 16, who queued up for a chance up to snap up jeans, shirts and dresses designed by Moss.

"I want to get first pick," said Kidd, who was accompanied by her mother.

"I'm a fan of Kate Moss and I usually shop at Topshop."

Scroll down for more...

The lady in red: Kate in the Oxford Street Topshop store with the chain's boss Sir Philip Green

Kate leaving home this afternoon in London

By 6.30pm hundreds of shoppers had joined a queue alongside the store.

Members of staff handed out wristbands to people in the queue which will allow them in after doors open at 8pm.

Batches of shoppers will be let in to browse the Kate Moss designs for a maximum 20 minutes during the four-hour evening launch.

Topshop will limit purchases to five pieces per person during the four-hour launch.

Scroll down for more...

A sneak peek of the model's Topshop range

Green ahead of Kate Moss' launch

Moss wearing her collection which is set to break records

Shoppers may try on a maximum eight garments and buy only five pieces per person to prevent the clothes being quickly sold off on eBay, Topshop said.

The same purchase rules will apply when the Kate Moss collection launches in 225 stores nationwide tomorrow.

The Croydon-born supermodel was reportedly paid £3 million to create the fashion range.

It is made up of 50 designs priced from £12 for a vest top to £150 for a cropped leather jacket.

Other items in the collection include skinny jeans, one-shoulder mini dresses and T-shirts with the letter K woven into their designs.

The collection has been criticised by media in the U.S., with the New York Post describing the designs as: ".. like Kate copying a lot of other people's stuff Kate's worn before."

But Topshop has ordered huge quantities of the clothes in anticipation of high customer demand.

A spokeswoman for the chain said: "New drops will go into stores every few weeks. If we do experience massive sales there may be some things that sell out but most of the things have been bought in large volumes.

"The idea is that there will be drops all the time so that the excitement factor is always there."

Laura Weir, senior reporter for fashion industry bible Drapers, predicted Tuesday's national launch would cause a "shopper frenzy" on UK high streets.

[Edited by tumbled]
[Edited by tumbled]
[Edited by tumbled]
30th April 2007 04:44 PM
pdog A jew, a puerto rican and a indian walk into a bar.....
30th April 2007 05:08 PM
Joey " Does your kitty really have those green eyes or is he wearing fake color contacts? "

Them's Green Baby !!!!!! .....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30th April 2007 05:08 PM
tumbled Miles' famous last words (after his flight):

Thought for the day: Babe Ruth hit more home runs than anyone; he also struck out more often than anyone.

The greatest enemy of creativity is not the lack of talent but the fear of being criticized.

Don't be afraid of living those dreams of yours my friend- make a decision as you read this now to do something about it- it may take you a while, like my flight to Australia, but, with friends to encourage you and your own determination not to give up when things don't work out straight away, you will actually live them…

As the quote above says, don't be afraid of criticism- just do it…

30th April 2007 06:04 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
tumbled wrote:
Miles' famous last words (after his flight):

Thought for the day: Babe Ruth hit more home runs than anyone; he also struck out more often than anyone.

The greatest enemy of creativity is not the lack of talent but the fear of being criticized.

Don't be afraid of living those dreams of yours my friend- make a decision as you read this now to do something about it- it may take you a while, like my flight to Australia, but, with friends to encourage you and your own determination not to give up when things don't work out straight away, you will actually live them…

As the quote above says, don't be afraid of criticism- just do it…

good words......
30th April 2007 06:04 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
pdog wrote:
A jew, a puerto rican and a indian walk into a bar.....

ok....
punchline?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)