ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Doris Richards Funeral - 1 May 2007
© Matrix with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Aqualung [nsc] Return to archive
29th April 2007 09:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels How would you all rate this LP?
I'd put in the top twenty LPs ever made.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
29th April 2007 09:28 AM
Ten Thousand Motels From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqualung_(album)

Aqualung is the fourth studio album by the rock band Jethro Tull, released in 1971. The first side of the LP contains a series of six character sketches, including two sketches of people of questionable repute (title character Aqualung and Cross-Eyed Mary) and two autobiographical tracks including "Cheap Day Return", written by band leader Ian Anderson while returning from a visit to his critically ill father. The overall message of the lyrics on the second side is said to be "pro-God but anti-church", and makes the statement that organized religion can actually restrict a person's relationship with their God instead of enhancing it. Anderson always denied any attempt to create a concept album.

The album was one of the first albums to be recorded at the newly opened studios of Island Records in Basing Street, London. Led Zeppelin were mixing their untitled fourth album at the same time. In an interview on the 25th anniversary edition of the album, Anderson reportedly said that trying to record in their studio was very difficult. There were two recording studios at the location; Led Zeppelin worked in the smaller studio while Tull got the larger, which was probably the original chapel based on Anderson's description of its "orchestral" feeling.

The album's original cover art by Burton Silverman features a portrait of the title character, Aqualung, which many have considered to be inspired by Ian Anderson, though Anderson denies it. The rear cover shows a less-lecherous looking portrait of the same character sitting on a street-curb with a dog, a scene reminiscent of the band's photographic portrait with age make-up and a pack of dogs on their first album, This Was. The inner art on the fold-out cover showed portraits of the five band members in typical stage attire performing irreverent acts in a chapel--perhaps simultaneously depicting the theme of the second side of the LP while commemorating the band's recording-studio environment.

Aqualung peaked at #7 on the Billboard Music Charts' North American pop albums chart. The single "Hymn 43" hit #91 on Billboard's pop singles chart. In 2003, the album was ranked number 337 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

29th April 2007 09:31 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Hymn 43

Oh father high in heaven -- smile down upon your son
whose busy with his money games -- his women and his gun.
Oh Jesus save me!
And the unsung Western hero killed an Indian or three
and made his name in Hollywood
to set the white man free.
Oh Jesus save me!
If Jesus saves -- well, He'd better save Himself
from the gory glory seekers who use His name in death.
Oh Jesus save me!
I saw him in the city and on the mountains of the moon --
His cross was rather bloody --
He could hardly roll His stone.
Oh Jesus save me!

29th April 2007 09:54 AM
fireontheplatter are you kidding?
i grew up to this album.
29th April 2007 10:12 AM
mojoman i prefer thick as a brick or benefit more possibly because aqualung was the first lp i ever bought and i got sick of it.
29th April 2007 10:21 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mojoman wrote:
i prefer thick as a brick or benefit more possibly because aqualung was the first lp i ever bought and i got sick of it.

As Time Goes By"

music and words by Herman Hupfeld
Hear Dooley Wilson sing "As Time Goes By" (a .WAV file).

[This day and age we're living in
Gives cause for apprehension
With speed and new invention
And things like fourth dimension.
Yet we get a trifle weary
With Mr. Einstein's theory.
So we must get down to earth at times
Relax relieve the tension

And no matter what the progress
Or what may yet be proved
The simple facts of life are such
They cannot be removed.]

You must remember this
A kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh.
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by.

And when two lovers woo
They still say, "I love you."
On that you can rely
No matter what the future brings
As time goes by.

Moonlight and love songs
Never out of date.
Hearts full of passion
Jealousy and hate.
Woman needs man
And man must have his mate
That no one can deny.

It's still the same old story
A fight for love and glory
A case of do or die.
The world will always welcome lovers
As time goes by.

Oh yes, the world will always welcome lovers
As time goes by.

© 1931 Warner Bros. Music Corporation, ASCAP

29th April 2007 10:32 AM
GotToRollMe Oh yeah, this is a classic. The title tune, "Cross-Eyed Mary" and "Locomotive Breath" alone are worth the price of purchase.
29th April 2007 12:05 PM
charlotte 17/10/71 Coliseum Charlotte, NC. USA
8/11/71 Coliseum Greensboro, NC. USA

My God, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Thick As A Brick, Aqualung, To Cry You A Song, A New Day Yesterday, Cross-Eyed Mary, Up To Me, Tomorrow Was Today, Hymn 43, Nothing Is Easy, Wind-Up, Guitar Solo, Locomotive Breath, Wind-Up (reprise)

CLASSIC
29th April 2007 03:03 PM
gimmekeef Sorry....dont care much for bands with a lead flute....
29th April 2007 03:22 PM
mrhipfl I kinda blew them off the first time I heard Jethro Tull, but they have really grown on me during the last couple of years. Aqualung got many spins in my stereo.
29th April 2007 03:52 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Sorry....dont care much for bands with a lead flute....

the minstral of rock is good
when i saw him back in the spring of 97 at the civic center here in po town he was pretty amazing really....he has an acoustic guitar and a flute in front of him resting on stands and his magnificent voice.
one of the best shows i have seen come to think of it. he played all the hit including...farm on the freeway. he opend with song from jeffery...the one that opens rock and roll circus....
when i walked out of the show i was like....COOOOOOOOL MAN.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)