ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Doris Richards Funeral - 1 May 2007
© Matrix with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Classic rockers go a little bit country Return to archive
27th April 2007 05:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Classic rockers go a little bit country
By Nick Marino / Atlanta Journal-Constitution
04/26/2007

Classic rock doesn't go through much in the way of trends. It's a pretty simple genre: Established rock stars -- folks such as Jimmy Buffett and Mick Jagger -- tend to bank on classic hits until they're ready to hang up their margaritas and leather pants.

And yet, in recent years, several "heritage" rock acts have made a dramatic career move, marching en masse toward Nashville and the allure of country music.

Buffett teamed with a fleet of country stars for his 2004 album "License to Chill." John Mellencamp's two most recent hits broke through the country charts. Jewel co-hosted the most recent season of "Nashville Star." Jon Bon Jovi recorded a duet with Sugarland singer Jennifer Nettles, and in June he will release a country-tinged album called "Lost Highway."

Even pop culture stronghold "American Idol" caught the country music fire for last week's theme, and the country trio Rascal Flatts was set to appear on the show during its special two-hour fundraiser.

When classic rockers Johnny and Donnie Van Zant -- veteran band members of, respectively Lynyrd Skynyrd and .38 Special -- teamed up as Van Zant for a 2005 country album, they wound up with their first gold record as a duo.
"People ask us if we've gone country, I tell 'em, 'We ain't gone country, we were born country,' " Johnny says on the band's Web site.

Perhaps it has something to do with economics.

Last year was not the best for the record business. According to music sales tracker Nielsen SoundScan, album sales were down 4.9 percent. Certain genres, including R&B and rap, were down more than 18 percent from 2005 -- and 2005 wasn't so hot either.

Yet country album sales for 2006 were down less than 1 percent from 2005.

"I gotta believe that John Cougar 'Mellencamp' and Bon Jovi are spending time in Nashville because they realize that this is very fertile ground," says country radio executive Mark Richards.

Cathy Edwards thinks it's just fine when her beloved Jimmy Buffett goes country. Edwards, who's on the board of directors for the Atlanta Parrothead Club, observes that Buffett started out performing country music.

"The country music was no big surprise for us," she said. "We love the CD."

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
27th April 2007 06:57 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I never considered Jimmy Buffet or Bon Jovi "classic rockers." But I did like Nashville Skyline, which was a long time ago. So this is nothing new.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
27th April 2007 08:08 AM
Mel Belli There's an old knock against journalists that they're ready to cry "Trend!" if they can cobble together three examples of something. This writer's really reaching here...
27th April 2007 08:10 AM
corgi37 I dont find it surprising at all. Country music is now mostly rock, MOR. It's the last of the white mans music. The only other white music at the moment is EMO.

The other honkey stuff from recent years, the "retread" stuff ie: Jet, Hives, and the Strokes are more or less finished.

English stuff like Oasis never caught on in the U.S. in a major way. Robbie Williams, more pop than rock, was an utter failure in the U.S. Radiohead has gone quiet. Arctic Monkeys are nothing outside of U.K. The Darkness dissolved like i knew they would.

So, it makes sense. Now, stand by for a Aerosmith jug band album!

[Edited by corgi37]
27th April 2007 10:18 AM
glencar "Cathy Edwards thinks it's just fine when her beloved Jimmy Buffett goes country. Edwards, who's on the board of directors for the Atlanta Parrothead Club, observes that Buffett started out performing country music."

This woman sounds delusional. I'd check her house for any sort of "V-Tech" stuff.
27th April 2007 11:11 AM
M.O.W.A.T. The classics never go out of style:

27th April 2007 12:16 PM
Saint Sway "Strummin With the Devil" will eventually crack the Billboard 500 list and you will all rue the day!

27th April 2007 08:45 PM
MikeyC613 David Lee Roth IS your gay Uncle from San Diego
27th April 2007 09:21 PM
pdog I'm listening to Ryan Adams Peaceful Valley off Jacksonville City Nights, as I read this article, and was very pleased with myself and laughing at how badly out of touch people are, with music.
27th April 2007 10:21 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
"Strummin With the Devil" will eventually crack the Billboard 500 list and you will all rue the day!

Holy mother of God. First, the Boston Pops. Now this. What next will Sway unearth from the annals of Van Humiliation?!
28th April 2007 06:36 AM
corgi37 That was truly dreadful. It sounds like he's singing a karaoke version, and the band is playing a totally different song.

And i swear he looks ashamed.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)