ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Doris Richards Funeral - 1 May 2007
© Matrix with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Last Really Great Stones Song Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
26th April 2007 02:20 AM
Fadeout_Freedom Look What The Cat Dragged Infamy
26th April 2007 07:24 AM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves OOC
26th April 2007 11:36 AM
nanatod Hang Fire.

Or else, maybe, Respectable or the Just My Imagination cover.
26th April 2007 11:42 AM
BILL PERKS ROUGH JUSTICE
26th April 2007 11:43 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
ROUGH JUSTICE, AGAIN

26th April 2007 11:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
What was the last Stones song to reach #1
???????????

possibly the re-release of Paint it Black in Holland in 1990. Released to coincide with the TV show "Tour of Duty" and the European tour which opened in Holland that May. I'm pretty sure it got to #1.

in the US - Miss You
in the UK - Honky Tonk Women, believe it or not

Last great song - Laugh I Nearly Died.
26th April 2007 12:15 PM
glencar Brown Sugar didn't top the charts? SMU did reach #1 on the Cashbox chart which was a competitor of Billboard back then.
26th April 2007 04:20 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Brown Sugar didn't top the charts?

Not in Britain, although like the US, there were various charts back then. In the chart used by the BBC which was the most widely recognised one, it got to #2, as did 'Angie', I think. 'Miss You' got to #3.

All eight of the Stones number one singles in the UK were in the 60's -

Its All Over Now, Little Red Rooster, The Last Time, Satisfaction, Get Off of My Cloud, Paint it Black, Jumpin' Jack Flash and Honky Tonk Women.

But for the idiotic decision by EMI to release 40 Licks in the same week as the Elvis "Number 1's" album, they would have been the only act in history to have topped the album charts in five different decades ("Emotional Rescue" and "Voodoo Lounge" were number 1 albums). ABB just missed out on topping the charts by a few dozen copies to James Blunt. The closest margin ever I think.
26th April 2007 04:28 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

possibly the re-release of Paint it Black in Holland in 1990. Released to coincide with the TV show "Tour of Duty" and the European tour which opened in Holland that May. I'm pretty sure it got to #1.

in the US - Miss You
in the UK - Honky Tonk Women, believe it or not

Last great song - Laugh I Nearly Died.

you can't be serious about LIND??
its pretensious to the max!! plus no good guitar bits, its Jagger solo more or less.
Almost Hear You Sigh has to be the last Stones song which has any originality to it
26th April 2007 04:41 PM
Mathijs The last ever truly great Stones song for me is How Can I Stop.

Paint it Black indeed was nmber one in Holland in 1991, mainly due to Tour of Duty, but also due to the hugely popular Flashpoint (I am not kidding, that album was really popular in Holland in 1991).

Mathijs
26th April 2007 04:44 PM
Saint Sway the last great Stones song I've heard was called "Sting Me"
26th April 2007 06:07 PM
real wild child
Great songs to me is when you hear a song and it rocks in the studio version and in the live version...and if it`s much better live that means the song is awesome!!! Also it`s great when u play it in different tours...One Hit,Mixed Emotions or Love is Strong are good songs but when the Stones played them live is like what a fuck!!! awful...so,the last GREAT song was Start me Up...but You Got me Rocking is the best in the last 15 years and Saint of Me and Out of Control are in the same level but It`s sad the boys don`t play them more often
26th April 2007 07:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
plus no good guitar bits, its Jagger solo more or less.

why should either of the above disqualify a song from being 'great'? There's no set 'formula'. 'Moonlight Mile' for example has no 'good guitar bits' and Keith doesnt even play on it. Those factors didnt stop IT being a great song...

quote:
Almost Hear You Sigh has to be the last Stones song which has any originality to it

originality isnt the question, in fairness. Its a fantastic song and a personal favourite of mine, but there are other songs on that record and on subsequent ones with as much if not more 'originality'
26th April 2007 07:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
Brown Sugar didn't top the charts? SMU did reach #1 on the Cashbox chart which was a competitor of Billboard back then.

During the 60's, 70's and 80's a lot of different charts were around both in UK or US. The most popular ones were Music Week and N.M.E in UK and Billboard, Cashbox and Record World in US. The "official" charts since mid-80's are Music Week (UK) and Billboard (US).

Almost ALL of the Stones chart positions were different in all those charts.

Here some big differences:

- 19th Nervous Breakdown reached #1 on NME, Cashbox and Record World but only #2 on Music Week and Billboard.

- Aftermath was #2 on Billboard but #1 on Cashbox and Record World.

- Dandelion was a #14 hit on Billboard, #6 on Cashbox.

- She's a Rainbow reached #10 on Cashbox, only #25 on Billboard.

- Jumpin' Jack Flash reached #3 on Billboard but #1 on Cashbox and Record World.

- Street Fighting Man only reached #48 on Billboard but #30 on Cashbox.

- Brown Sugar was #1 during 2 weeks on NME, in Music Week was #2 during 3 weeks.

- Wild Horses reached #28 on Billboard, #18 on Cashbox.

- Exile was #1 during 8 weeks on Record World, only 4 weeks at #1 on Billboard.

- All Down The Line reached #77 on Cashbox as b-side but it didn't chart at all on Billboard.

- Angie was #2 on NME, #5 on Music Week.

- Heartbreaker was #15 on Billboard but #10 on Cashbox.

- Get Stoned (UK compilation) peaked at #8 on Music Week, only #13 on NME.

- Start Me Up was #7 on Music Week but #4 on NME, in US it reached #2 on Billboard during 3 weeks, #4 on Cashbox and #1 on Record World for 1 week.

- Tattoo You was #1 in NME during 2 weeks, only #2 on Music Week.

- Still Life reached #2 on NME, only #4 on Music Week.

- Undercover went to #1 for a week in NME but only #3 on Music Week.

- Undercover of The Night was #11 on Music Week but it went to #8 on NME.

- Harlem Shuffle reached #13 on Music Week but it was a top 10 hit in NME peaking at #7.

- Steel Wheels was #3 on Billboard but #1 during 2 weeks on Cashbox.
26th April 2007 07:26 PM
Soldatti
quote:
What was the last Stones song to reach #1
???????????

Streets Of Love in Spain.

All the UK singles, Saint Of Me, Out Of Control, SOL/RJ, Rain Fall Down and Biggest Mistakes were #1 on the vinyl chart, about 70% of the total sales for those singles were in vinyl and 30% on CD singles according to Music Week.
26th April 2007 07:30 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
ABB just missed out on topping the charts by a few dozen copies to James Blunt. The closest margin ever I think.

"Looking to register their 11th number one album, and extend their span of chart-toppers to more than 40 years, the Rolling Stones’ A Bigger Bang held a small but significant lead over James Blunt’s Back To Bedlam on the midweek sales flashes but Blunt eventually prevailed, with his album winning the race for chart honors by a mere 11 sales. The Stones’ album sold 43,466 copies, and Back To Bedlam 43,477. The Stones actually sold 825 copies more in Great Britain but Blunt trounce them 1,381 sales to 545 in Northern Ireland"

Music Week, September 12, 2005.
26th April 2007 11:25 PM
icetea How about Outta Tears? Good from start to finish.
26th April 2007 11:28 PM
Throwaway
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the last great Stones song I've heard was called "Sting Me"

*By Your Side
27th April 2007 02:11 AM
pdog maybe they've got one good one left...
27th April 2007 04:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

"Looking to register their 11th number one album, and extend their span of chart-toppers to more than 40 years, the Rolling Stones’ A Bigger Bang held a small but significant lead over James Blunt’s Back To Bedlam on the midweek sales flashes but Blunt eventually prevailed, with his album winning the race for chart honors by a mere 11 sales. The Stones’ album sold 43,466 copies, and Back To Bedlam 43,477. The Stones actually sold 825 copies more in Great Britain but Blunt trounce them 1,381 sales to 545 in Northern Ireland"

Music Week, September 12, 2005.

I knew you'd reprint that. Bastardo.

Its an irrelevant statistic anyway. You could find that in a race that close that there were lots of regions within the UK where one outsold the other instead of cherrypicking one that consists of about 2 or 3 % of the total market..
[Edited by Gazza]
27th April 2007 12:05 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Throwaway wrote:

*By Your Side

agreed
27th April 2007 02:33 PM
jholcomb Last Great One: Jump On Top of Me

Should have been on Voodoo Lounge instead of a B-side.

I love "Love Is Strong" on disc but it has never become a good live tune. Any ideas why? Is the intro too close to HTW? Is there any other Stones song as good as that one that has sucked onstage?
27th April 2007 08:12 PM
gotdablouse "Saint of Me" : it has it all, melody, lyrics, superb guitar by Waddy. On par with "Tumbling Dice".

"Wandering Spirit" but that's just MJ.

Best stones song ever : Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler

I also remember being stunned by ONNYA on May 10th 2005, but the final version doesn't quite gel...low ;-)
27th April 2007 11:07 PM
Let It Bleed Claudine
28th April 2007 06:32 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Call me crazy....I'm gonna say "Out of Control". "Saint of Me" is right up there too. Especially live. Those two were barnburners on the B2B/No Security tours.

And those two songs are why I say B2B is a far superior record to ABB. Nothing on ABB comes anywhere even close to approaching either of those songs.

I agree that ABB probably doesn't have a song as good as Out Of Control. ABB is more consistent as a whole though. B2B is very ups and downs for me.

Last great song: Back of My Hand.
28th April 2007 08:48 AM
fireontheplatter
quote:
pdog wrote:
maybe they've got one good one left...

yeah....its in the vault and they're not releasing it for some reason.
28th April 2007 11:09 AM
tumbling dice
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Call me crazy....I'm gonna say "Out of Control". "Saint of Me" is right up there too. Especially live. Those two were barnburners on the B2B/No Security tours.

And those two songs are why I say B2B is a far superior record to ABB. Nothing on ABB comes anywhere even close to approaching either of those songs.

I agree.
28th April 2007 02:38 PM
Lethargy
quote:
I'd say "You Got Me Rocking."

If you mean the version on Voodoo BREW, then I agree!!
28th April 2007 02:42 PM
Taptrick
I'm with the Laugh I Nearly Died folks. If I thought the last great song was 30+ years ago and I wouldn't see the point of checking a board like this more than once.

28th April 2007 02:52 PM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

No song that the Stones have written in the last 25 years has worked as brilliantly in concert as those two do. Especially Out of Control. They were absolute showstoppers and both are great on 'No Security'

I took great pleasure on the BTB tour of seeing and hearing sceptics who thought that the Stones were just an oldies act being blown away by how good some brand new Stones songs could be when played live.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)