ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Doris Richards Funeral - 1 May 2007
© Matrix with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Old / new bands with a Stonsey sound? Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th April 2007 03:42 PM
buckster Hi there. Im a frequent lurker and first-time poster here to get some help. I am currently in a rut finding new music, as so much of it is just crap nowadays. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had some ideas on new bands out there that have a Stonesy type sound.

I have been listening to The Deadstring Brothers a lot lately, and they are wonderful. Very Exile-esque country rock. I suggest all of you check em out.

But other than that, I havent found anything really good recently. Id be up for suggestions regarding older bands from the Stones own era as well. Ive been listening to a lot of Dickey Betts lately and thats been great. But in general, I guess I've been gravitating towards a Parsons-esque country-rock style lately. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
17th April 2007 03:54 PM
ExileIzzy Louis XIV
Leroy Justice
Soledad Brothers
The Black Keys
Kings Of Leon
Wolfmother
Jet
Mooney Suzuki
17th April 2007 03:56 PM
mrhipfl Nic Armstrong and the Thieves.
18th April 2007 10:22 AM
polytoxic There's a big Stones influence on Primal Scream's most recent disc, Riot City Blues. In particular, check out the track Nitty Gritty. Very Stonesey.
18th April 2007 10:28 AM
FotiniD
quote:
ExileIzzy wrote:
Wolfmother

Wolfmother? More Zeppelinesque, I'd say.
18th April 2007 11:29 AM
Sir Stonesalot Didn't we just do this thread last week?

I don't have enough energy to repost what I posted then.

Just go buy the Novaks CD and thank me later.
18th April 2007 11:46 AM
Saint Sway just stay away from Beatle cover bands
18th April 2007 11:57 AM
Throwaway
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Didn't we just do this thread last week?

I don't have enough energy to repost what I posted then.

Just go buy the Novaks CD and thank me later.

You're from central, PA right? I wanna see the Izzys at Small's in Harrisburg on Saturday...you know if a 20-y/o ROer would be let in?? TIA
18th April 2007 01:08 PM
ExileIzzy
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

You are right, I was just naming bands
18th April 2007 01:34 PM
LastChild
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

personally, id say more black sabbath-esque than anything. but i can see where youd get some zeppelin out of it.
18th April 2007 05:52 PM
Dan Urban Maniacs

You can listen for free here. Easily the best thing I have heard all year.

http://www.myspace.com/urbanmaniacs
18th April 2007 05:57 PM
fireontheplatter check out kenny wayne shepherd blue on black the acoustic version you will find in you tube. that should help yopu out for a couple of days until you fid what you're looking for.
after that check out stevie ray vaughns texas flood.....that'll cure what ails you.
18th April 2007 06:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot Throwaway...don't even try. They are concert nazis in the Burg.

If you ain't 21 you won't get in. Sorry.
18th April 2007 07:22 PM
Throwaway ahh. Thanks for the reply though, SS.

Anyway I don't know too many recent bands but from what I've heard:

Deadstring Brothers---yes the Exile era comparisons are valid
The Novaks---the album is the real deal, it'll make ya feel good
Izzys---wish they would come a lil further south, but ask somebody like Sway how they are live..the album is great, stonesy with a touch of country, a personal favorite is "Lonely"
18th April 2007 07:29 PM
Throwaway For modern artists that attack blues, and though he doesnt sound like the stones (more aggressive-blues playing..think a bluesy Hendrix), check out Melvin Taylor.
18th April 2007 08:13 PM
guitarman53 In the 60's, The Chocolate watch Band, copied The Stones to a tee, & there was The Ugly Ducklings from Toronto, who opened for them in '66 at The Maple Leaf Gardens.
19th April 2007 02:38 AM
Freejack
Stereoblasters are the best.
the Milkman

Add to My Profile | More Videos
19th April 2007 02:48 AM
Freejack check out the Stereoblasters from San Francisco. My new favorite band.They are very Stones influenced.
www.myspace.com/stereoblasters
the Milkman

Add to My Profile | More Videos
19th April 2007 12:41 PM
nanatod
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
For modern artists that attack blues, and though he doesnt sound like the stones (more aggressive-blues playing..think a bluesy Hendrix), check out Melvin Taylor.

I respectfully dissent. I had to sit through Melvin Taylor and the Slack Band a couple of years ago when he was opening for more established acts at the Chicago Blues Festival. It was one of the most over-slick performances I have ever seen, and at the same time, it was boring to boot.

Growing up in Chicago, I've been listening to blues music and going to blues shows almost as long as I've been listening to the Stones. Taylor is among the worst, if not the worst homegrown blues artist we've got.

The late Eddie Taylor(no relation), however, was a different story.
19th April 2007 12:49 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
nanatod wrote:

see also: Hound Dog Taylor.... Koko Taylor... Otis Taylor... Mick Taylor.. and Jerry Rice's former sidekick, John Taylor.
19th April 2007 02:03 PM
Throwaway
quote:
nanatod wrote:

I respectfully dissent. I had to sit through Melvin Taylor and the Slack Band a couple of years ago when he was opening for more established acts at the Chicago Blues Festival. It was one of the most over-slick performances I have ever seen, and at the same time, it was boring to boot.

Growing up in Chicago, I've been listening to blues music and going to blues shows almost as long as I've been listening to the Stones. Taylor is among the worst, if not the worst homegrown blues artist we've got.

Thats cool..I only know his studio work, so I could see why you feel that way...unfortunately some good musicians turn into wankers live.
Oh, and if somehow you haven't heard of this guy..please take a motherfucking listen(coming to the UK this year!!)
19th April 2007 10:45 PM
BrianGotHisRocksOff I love the Brian Jonestown Massacre, even though the lead singer is a giant douche
21st April 2007 08:46 PM
Lord Homosex BJMassacre is not bad at all. The Satanic album is great.
There is another band out there that kicks major ass called Living Things with a singer who's got the Jagger vibe happenin in a good way. Song "New Year" rocks!
My favorite newly discovered band that really I am surprised is not way bigger is the Music.
21st April 2007 08:59 PM
Dan Brian Jonestown Massacre still ranks as one of the worst bands I have ever seen (out of hundreds, or even thousands).
21st April 2007 09:09 PM
ExileIzzy Anybody like Robert Randolph
22nd April 2007 03:44 AM
Homercles We have a band here in Australia called The Beasts of Bourbon - they have been around for quite some time and are very good. They have just released a new album which has been described by reviewers as being very Stonesy. Having said that they are a unique, and very good Australian pub rock band. My fave Bourbon's song is 'Pyscho' - which is about well ummm a pyschopath. The Bourbon's vocalist - Tex Perkins is also lead vocalist in another great Australian band called the Cruel Sea which I also recommend to you. The Cruel Sea incidentally was the opening act on the Australian leg of the Stones Voodoo Lounge tour. If you go to this website there is a link to the Bourbon's live version of Cocksucker Blues. http://www.spookyrecords.com/Beasts.html

Finally, here is what Tex Perkins had to say in an interview about the Bourbon's latest album which is called Little Animals:

"We've always referenced the classics," says Tex. "AC/DC, Rolling Stones. But I think this record, how it's arranged and mixed, really has that '70s classic rock approach to it. Everything's up there. The solos are up. The arrangements are bang-bang-bang. It's our '70s radio album."

Recorded in just three days in Melbourne last May, the album is typical to their no bullsh*t rock theory: ten songs max - no fat, no filler.

Just pure Beast grunt."

Hope this helps.

23rd April 2007 09:36 AM
Lord Homosex Robert Randolph started off with a bang. Had to say eh was the best thing I'd seen in years. I think he has one of those problems that can be the death sentence for some rtists if they don't find a solution: they don't seem to be able to write that well.
Either find someone who can write, or devise a way to cover w/o being a coverband.
23rd April 2007 01:00 PM
Dan
quote:
Homercles wrote:
We have a band here in Australia called The Beasts of Bourbon - they have been around for quite some time and are very good. They have just released a new album which has been described by reviewers as being very Stonesy. Having said that they are a unique, and very good Australian pub rock band. My fave Bourbon's song is 'Pyscho' - which is about well ummm a pyschopath. The Bourbon's vocalist - Tex Perkins is also lead vocalist in another great Australian band called the Cruel Sea which I also recommend to you. The Cruel Sea incidentally was the opening act on the Australian leg of the Stones Voodoo Lounge tour. If you go to this website there is a link to the Bourbon's live version of Cocksucker Blues. http://www.spookyrecords.com/Beasts.html

Finally, here is what Tex Perkins had to say in an interview about the Bourbon's latest album which is called Little Animals:

"We've always referenced the classics," says Tex. "AC/DC, Rolling Stones. But I think this record, how it's arranged and mixed, really has that '70s classic rock approach to it. Everything's up there. The solos are up. The arrangements are bang-bang-bang. It's our '70s radio album."

Recorded in just three days in Melbourne last May, the album is typical to their no bullsh*t rock theory: ten songs max - no fat, no filler.

Just pure Beast grunt."

Hope this helps.

Is "Little Animals" even going to be released in the U.S.?

"The Axeman's Jazz" is one of my all time favorite records. It's been on my turntable almost nonstop the last ten years since a friend gave it to me.

Last month was a dream come true when they played the Troubadour in Hollywood on their way to SXSW. Great show even though I only knew a few songs. The only disappointment was bringing about $80 in merch money and not being able to buy a single thing.

There is a killer FM broadcast on Dime right now where they play 7 new songs live in the studio and follow it with a long interview.
23rd April 2007 01:01 PM
Dan Faster Pussycat. They got lumped in with the whole hair band scene but there is a lot of sleaze in their music. Probably my favorite band out of the genre, they should have been as big as Poison or Motley Crue. "Bathroom Wall" (video directed by Russ Meyers) should have been a massive hit. They have also covered Starfucker, Honky Tonk Women and IORR in the past.
24th April 2007 08:36 AM
Homercles "Is "Little Animals" even going to be released in the U.S.?"

Hope so - it can be purchased online anyway.
I just found this review on it by a bloke called Bob Gordon who writes pretty reliable album reviews here in Australia:

"Just when you think that the beast has laid down and died, or perhaps just passed out, it rises again. While Tex Perkins swaggers along, busy from one entity or project to the next, The Beasts Of Bourbon have always remained in the background. Mind you, in the 10 years since their last studio reckoning, Gone, no one would have reasonably proposed that in 2007 they would surface with a new offering, released through AC/DC’s spiritual home Alberts, via Sony-BMG.
It seems rudimentary to point out that there’s a Stones-ish quality to this album, however there does seem to be more groove in that pile-driving guitar sound (courtesy of Jones/Owen) than ever, as single, I Don’t Care About Nothing Anymore, the predatory-yet-oddly-affectionate Master And Slave, Too Much Too Late and Sleepwalker indicate. This is, after all, a band that has always jumped from one form of Exile to another.
That said, the title track is a fairly delightful, smoky, bar ballad (in spite of its threatening tone) and The Beast I Came To Be recalls the more Stooges-aligned side of the Beasts. It all ends with Thanks, a hats-off to friends who have been friendly with ‘recreationals’, sung in a manner that indicates no lack of research.
The boots are more battered than ever, but they do fit oh, so well.

_ BOB GORDON
Posted on April 18, 2007 10:15 AM"
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)