ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Charlie's good tonight... and everynight!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Led Zeppelin Legends To Perform Together Return to archive Page: 1 2
27th April 2006 12:46 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Led Zeppelin Legends To Perform Together
In June...
by Scott Colothan on 4/27/2006

Led Zeppelin legends Robert Plant and Jimmy Page are set to perform together in June.

The show takes place at the Montreux Jazz Festival and is a tribute to Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Artegun.

Also on the bill on the June 30 bash are Jeff Beck, Solomon Burke and Ben E King.

Just how good were Led Zeppelin?

Rock Gods! - ?
Heavily overrated - ?
I prefer Wolfmother- ?

If you want to "vote", here's the link.
http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=16397
27th April 2006 01:12 PM
nanatod Just like Entwistle was the soul of the Who, John Paul Jones is the soul of Led Zep.

As far as heavy music, I prefer Deep Purple, UFO, and Rainbow to Led Zep; I also prefer III (especially Nightflight, Immigrant Song, and Tangerine) and Physical Graffiti (especially Boogie with Stu and Houses of the Holy) to Zoso (overplayed by radio).
27th April 2006 01:15 PM
TampabayStone [quote]nanatod wrote:
Just like Entwistle was the soul of the Who, John Paul Jones is the soul of Led Zep.

Yeah but Jones is still alive. How come they never include him? They don't want to do a three way split?
27th April 2006 01:19 PM
Reptile Ahh yes.. Led Zeppelin. I've never been too fond of them myself. They're just not my style. They're doing what every 60's/70's band is doing now, so it was kind of predictable.
27th April 2006 01:29 PM
Throwaway
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Just like Entwistle was the soul of the Who, John Paul Jones is the soul of Led Zep.

As far as heavy music, I prefer Deep Purple, UFO, and Rainbow to Led Zep; I also prefer III (especially Nightflight, Immigrant Song, and Tangerine) and Physical Graffiti (especially Boogie with Stu and Houses of the Holy) to Zoso (overplayed by radio).

NightFlight is actually on PG, but you are right..Zoso aka IV is prehaps the most overrated album ever..its amazing when people say its the best ever or the best of the 70's. Their first album was their best, after that they went downhill. Anyway it'll still be nice to see Page/Plant perform, as long as its not something like Kashmir.
27th April 2006 01:48 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Throwaway wrote:

Anyway it'll still be nice to see Page/Plant perform, as long as its not something like Kashmir.

You can bet your ass that's exactly what it will be.
Plant has really been off in fantasy land since the early 90s, even more so than his middle earth obsession during LZ. Kashmir seems like the only thing he'd still want to do. Walking into Clarksdale or whatever it is called is one of the worst albums i ever had to sit through, and i dont think a lot has changed since they did that.
27th April 2006 02:01 PM
Throwaway LOL yea some of Plant's solo stuff is..lets say "questionable." But its a shame that he'll want to play something as annoying and overplayed as Kashmir, because I'm sure they could bring the house down with a hot performance of something like Good Times, Bad Times or the Wanton Song.
[Edited by Throwaway]
27th April 2006 02:03 PM
Tom
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
The show takes place at the Montreux Jazz Festival and is a tribute to Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Artegun.

A typo on the article it's Ahmet Ertegun
27th April 2006 02:51 PM
Joey

Kids Music ....
27th April 2006 02:54 PM
time is on my side Always been a big Zep fan & thought they made some incredible albums during the course of their career. They were always more of an album oriented type band as opposed to putting out singles. So for me, they would be rock gods.

Unlike some, I really like Led Zeppelin IV (Zoso) even though some of the songs have obviously been overplayed on the radio over the years. Far from being overrated, I find it a classic rock album in every true sense of the word.

My favorite album would be Physical Graffiti & thought they recently put out an excellent live album, How The West Was Won. I was fortunate to see them live a couple of times & can attest to the kind of live shows they put on. They were great!!!

[Edited by time is on my side]
27th April 2006 05:06 PM
Nellcote It is criminal to exclude John Paul Jones from any Led Zepp performance
27th April 2006 05:13 PM
MRD8 You can say whatever you want about Led Zeppelin but you have to admire the fact that they have never reformed the band with a new drummer and cashed in on the HUGE payday their reunion would be!
27th April 2006 05:26 PM
pdog
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
It is criminal to exclude John Paul Jones from any Led Zepp performance

He excludes himself.
27th April 2006 06:35 PM
Lethargy
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Led Zeppelin Legends To Perform Together
In June...
by Scott Colothan on 4/27/2006

Led Zeppelin legends Robert Plant and Jimmy Page are set to perform together in June.

Also on the bill on the June 30 bash are Jeff Beck, Solomon Burke and Ben E King.

Just how good were Led Zeppelin?

Rock Gods! - ?
Heavily overrated - ?
I prefer Wolfmother- ?

If you want to "vote", here's the link.
http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=16397

Led Zeppelin were ok, but everything since (and including) In And The Out Door put out by any Zep members were dreadful, with the sole exception of the Black Crowes / Page Live Album compilation, which doesn't really count since it's more of a Black Crowes album than a Page album. By the way, get this album if you don't already own it. It rocks.
27th April 2006 06:46 PM
Dan Death Wish 2 soundtrack had some good music
27th April 2006 07:37 PM
theanchorman I'm shocked how many on this board trash Zeppelin...

It's one thing to say you don't care for them - it's another to trash what is one of the best collection of musicians of all time....

Name me another band with as good a drummer, guitar player/producer/arranger & bass player/keyboard player/arranger???

Bonzo was from another Universe all together and Page came up with some of the most incredible riffs of all time - let alone his songwriting prowess.

It's hard NOT to believe Page didn't sell his soul for what Zeppelin achieved in the 70's...

I'm just as big a Stones fan - but only the 1972/3 version of the band can even come close to being mentioned in the same breath as Zeppelin in terms of live performances...

I won't even comment on studio work...

That being said - Exile is still my favorite album of all time.

Peace...

27th April 2006 07:54 PM
Riffhard Bonzo was one of the most ham fisted drummers to ever pick up a pair of sticks! Listen to Moby Dick again and tell me he's great. That shit is rank amature drumming at best. Charlie is fifty times the drummer that John Bonham ever was.

As for Page. Yes he was a great songwriter and could really produce some great stuff,but live he is reknowned as one of the sloppiest players ever. I saw Zep live in 1977 and the show was a damned trainwreck!

The best musician in the band was John Paul Jones as far as I'm concerned. And don't even get me started about Plant. Jagger is the greatest frontman ever. Period. The end.

Having said all that I still find listening to Zep to be fun on occassion,but they are not in the same league as the Stones. They never were.

Riffy
27th April 2006 07:56 PM
Nellcote Riffy, I looked for you at the Wonder Bar Monday night, as I saw The Boss. I saw the van out front, but did not see you? I took one of those last minute road trips...
27th April 2006 08:11 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Bonzo was one of the most ham fisted drummers to ever pick up a pair of sticks! Listen to Moby Dick again and tell me he's great. That shit is rank amature drumming at best. Charlie is fifty times the drummer that John Bonham ever was.

As for Page. Yes he was a great songwriter and could really produce some great stuff,but live he is reknowned as one of the sloppiest players ever. I saw Zep live in 1977 and the show was a damned trainwreck!

Obviously you know nothing about drumming...

Also - In 77 Page was a total Junkie...
27th April 2006 08:35 PM
Riffhard
quote:
theanchorman wrote:

Obviously you know nothing about drumming...

Also - In 77 Page was a total Junkie...

I know nothing about drumming? LOL! Yeah ok. I know enough to know that I can play Moby Dick lick for lick and it's basic as hell. Charlie has a touch that Bonham could never come close to immidating on his best day.

In 77 Page was a junkie? Big deal. So was Keith. What's your point? I saw Page with The Firm in 1986 and he was sloppy as ever. Saw him several times with Plant as well,and he was,ahem,sloppy. He was great in the studio I will not begrudge him that,but I only saw him shine once and that was with the Black Crowes. That night he played like a man posessed.

Riffy
27th April 2006 08:39 PM
Dan Kinda funny a "Riffhard" with a Keith avatar would comment on someone's sloppy guitar playing.
27th April 2006 08:52 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Dan wrote:
Kinda funny a "Riffhard" with a Keith avatar would comment on someone's sloppy guitar playing.

Keith's sloppiness is well known. Hell,it's part of his charm. He's got a cool sloppy touch. Although he has admittedly lost some of that touch with age. He stil wrote some of the most regognizable riffs in music history. That's not my point. Keith is the riffmaster.

Led Zep fans always point to Page as some guitar god when he could never hold a candle to a player like say,Jeff Beck. Led Zep is a band that I have outgrown quite frankly. I've got nothing against them mind you. But I'm not going to pretend that Page was some kind of zen master on guitar. He is a great great player no doubt,but he's not the end all be all of guitar players. SRV could play circles around him. Clapton,in his prime,was a much better player than Page. Same goes for Duane Allman. Page's brilliance was in the studio. On that level he was among the best.

Riffy
27th April 2006 09:09 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

I know nothing about drumming? LOL! Yeah ok. I know enough to know that I can play Moby Dick lick for lick and it's basic as hell. Charlie has a touch that Bonham could never come close to immidating on his best day.

In 77 Page was a junkie? Big deal. So was Keith. What's your point?
Riffy

Richards doesn't play lead guityar (typically) In terms of Page - please see anything between 69 and 75..after t
In regard to Bonham's drumming capabilities - it's not even worth arguing - you're being retarded about it.
27th April 2006 09:12 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Riffy, I looked for you at the Wonder Bar Monday night, as I saw The Boss. I saw the van out front, but did not see you? I took one of those last minute road trips...

Shit had I known you were going to the show I would have come and met you for a beer after the show! Let me know whenever you get another wild hair for araod trip! Hell I'd a bought you a beer or three!

Riffy
27th April 2006 09:23 PM
pdog
quote:
theanchorman wrote:

In regard to Bonham's drumming capabilities - it's not even worth arguing - you're being retarded about it.

he plays like a guerilla let loose from the zoo.
Keith Moon, now that was a drummer, Charlie watts, a incredible drummer. Bonham, he hit them hard. And drum solos, the lamest thing ever...
27th April 2006 09:28 PM
Riffhard
quote:
theanchorman wrote:

Richards doesn't play lead guityar (typically) In terms of Page - please see anything between 69 and 75..after t

LOL! You say it's not worth arguing about and then you say I'm being retarded about it! I know many many great drummers and not one of them would ever claim that Bonham was the insanly great drummer that you hold him up as. Hell even Keith,who was good friend of Bonzo,has joked about his ability! Rmember his quote about Bonzo's double bass drums? "Hell mate if ya can't play it on with one bass a second one sure ain't gonna help you out." Which is a very strange thing to say considering that Bonham rarely ever played with two bass drums!

Look I think he was a good drummer,but Zep fans seem to think that every member of the band was the greatest player ever. They weren't. They were all good. Perhaps even very good,but they were not the best players on the scene. Carl Palmer was fucking brilliant drummer for example. Buddy Rich was a goddamned legend on the kit. Hell,even Neil Pert from that shite band Rush is one hell of good drummer.

Riffy
27th April 2006 09:28 PM
theanchorman
quote:
pdog wrote:

Keith Moon, now that was a drummer, Charlie watts, a incredible drummer. Bonham, he hit them hard. And drum solos, the lamest thing ever...

you guys are all friggin' nuts - go play with your star wars figures...
27th April 2006 09:32 PM
Riffhard
quote:
pdog wrote:

Fuck yes! Moon was ten times the drummer that Bonzo was! He hit them hard,but he never missed,and his drum rolls were so fucking intricate. He was just an amazing drummer. Prolly my second favorite behind Chaz.

Riffy
27th April 2006 09:56 PM
Scottfree
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Fuck yes! Moon was ten times the drummer that Bonzo was! He hit them hard,but he never missed,and his drum rolls were so fucking intricate. He was just an amazing drummer. Prolly my second favorite behind Chaz.

Riffy

Thanks for saying Chaz and being a fine conservative....
27th April 2006 09:59 PM
theanchorman
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

LOL! You say it's not worth arguing about and then you say I'm being retarded about it! I know many many great drummers and not one of them would ever claim that Bonham was the insanly great drummer that you hold him up as. Hell even Keith,who was good friend of Bonzo,has joked about his ability! Rmember his quote about Bonzo's double bass drums? "Hell mate if ya can't play it on with one bass a second one sure ain't gonna help you out." Which is a very strange thing to say considering that Bonham rarely ever played with two bass drums!

You meatball - Bonham was the one that started that whole double bass drum style with just a single bass drum and a snare...

Go back to school, newbie...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)