ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Blimp - with thanks a very good and special friend! :)
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: On This Date 4/23/71 Return to archive
04-23-02 03:46 PM
Nellcote Sticky Fingers was released.

I recall the hypnotic guitar of Can't You Hear Me Knockin
was breakthru at the time.

The lyrics of Brown Sugar were more in a long line of controversial Stones songs.

Many a high school girl would melt over Wild Horses

The true kick was Bitch.

If around at that period, post your memory of the album.

PS: Name the song from this album that appeared as a
promo stunt in June of 75

Nellcote
04-23-02 04:45 PM
Gazza answer : Brown sugar...performed on a flatbed truck on New York's 5th Avenue as the band announced the concert dates for the 1975 Tour of The Americas...technically speaking,Woody's first "live" appearance with the Stones!

(it was 1st May actually...the tour started in Baton Rouge on 1st June..)
04-23-02 05:04 PM
Nellcote Yes, it was May. I had a crs moment on that one.
Hopefully, some type of similar tour announcement
will come our way in May this year!

Nellcote
04-23-02 05:18 PM
Gazza 1st May again would be nice..so we can get this excitement over with! - so many different dates rumoured (2nd, 14th..) although latest I'm hearing now is the 7th May with Boston as the opening shows in the first week of September....anyone got anything reliable?

A post on UC digest today suggests this date plus a "reliable" story that they'll be announcing the full world tour dates in New York,not just the North American ones...

London for August 2003 it also says (presumably thats around the end of the tour..)
04-23-02 05:42 PM
Joey "If around at that period, post your memory of the album. "

Ahhhhhh Yes , May 1971 .................

It was kinda cool that spring day in Saigon , only 98 Degress with a low Dew Point of 88 . The B-52's had long since stopped pounding the countryside and the little Viet Congs were roaming around freely .....like Joey in a Mexican Whorehouse . I was in base camp , sucking pot smoke from a M - 16 rifle when all of a sudden out wafts " Brown Sugar " over the radio . Man , I went nuts ....dancing around like a wee little Joey in his infancy , throwing my hands up and shaking all around , and then getting so excited that I decided to shoot my pistol up in the air . As I began firing away , the entire NVA ( North Vietnamese Army ) began to shoot back at us from their secret trenches they had surreptitiously dug in the hillsides around the city . Hell , before you could cry out " Mick Taylor " , all of Saigon was up in flames with RPG's flying around everywhere and Generals screaming out " Broken Arrow !!! " " Broken Arrow !!!! " ( Code for Massive Air Support ) . Damn , I thought , I guess this means I will have to wait a bit longer to hear some more tracks off of the album .

What are your memories.............................?

The Joey

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.