ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Blimp - with thanks a very good and special friend! :)
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Old Gods Almost Dead" Return to archive Page: 1 2
04-16-02 12:48 PM
Martha Is anyone out there reading the bio on the Stones, "Old Gods Almost Dead? I have cracked it open and so far feel it is very in-depth. I've read the author's other rock bios ( Aerosmith/Zeppelin)and enjoy his work.

Any comments from the real Stones fans?
04-16-02 12:55 PM
sandrew There've been discussions on that book, and most on this board agree that it was sloppily researched: lots of (albeit minor) factual errors. But, for my part, I think Stephen Davis is very talented, even if he has a tendency to overwrite. He's at his best when writing about the Stones' early days, through to the early 70s. Then, it seems like he gets winded, sailing through the next 30 years unevenly...
04-16-02 01:31 PM
gypsy I am halfway through it, but I started reading "Hickory Wind" about Gram Parsons yesterday. But, I like "Old Gods" so far...I think I had read too many Stones books lately, and am slightly burned out...so, I had to take a bit of a break...it was like re-reading the same ol' stuff...
04-16-02 01:41 PM
Honky Tonker I agree with Gypsy that a lot of it was a re-hash(no pun intended) of old stuff. Some stuff I'd never read before though. Don't know how much was true.
04-16-02 04:38 PM
beardedhag I thought "Old Gods" was a well written summary of the past 40 years considering the amount of material to cover. It definitely soured my opinion of Bryan Jones. (The guy was a total asshole to his girlfriends) I used to feel sorry for him but now I see why he pissed off a lot of people.

Bearded Hag

04-16-02 05:16 PM
Joey 'But, for my part, I think Stephen Davis is very talented, even if he has a tendency to overwrite. He's at his best when writing about the Stones' early days, through to the early 70s. Then, it seems like he gets winded, sailing through the next 30 years unevenly...'

Agreed . " OLD GODS " is very well written with lots of fancy words for Joey to feast on . The book contains an extraordinarily large amount of factual errors , but really gives the reader some keen insights as to just what the tenor of the times really was ......JFK's assassination , the WATERSHED Presidency of LBJ , the " Great Society " coupled with a land war in Asia , Nixon's feeble attempt to find a way out of Vietnam , Watergate , and of course , the most profound development of the last one hundred years , Mick Taylor's ignominious departure from the Stones .

I have read " OLD GODS ALMOST DEAD " three times now and the book gets better and better with each read . Please buy it and thank young Joey later .

I currently treading water until April 25th when Robert Caro's latest book on LBJ hits the Stores . This will be titled " Master of the Senate " and explicitly details the shenanigans of LBJ from 1949-1963( JFK 's assassination )

P.S. Throughout LBJ's tenure as Vice President , he lived next door to J. Edgar Hoover . Hmmmmmmmmmmm ! Think Hard !

Bunny Joey , C9

04-16-02 05:23 PM
nankerphelge Are you suggesting that J. Edgar and El BJ were lovers Joey?
That's a visual that I really didn't need.
04-16-02 05:42 PM
Joey 'Are you suggesting that J. Edgar and LBJ were lovers Joey ? "

Nah , but LBJ wanted to be President in the WORST possible way . And Hoover was tired of Bobby Kennedy picking on the mob .

Hint !!!!
04-16-02 06:38 PM
JaggaRichards I read 'Old Gods' and found it a good read.
BUT-it was loaded with errors. I mean LOADED!! Davis needs a good fact-checker! Referring to '81 Tour sax palyer Ernie Watta as 'BLACK saxman Ernie Watts'---c'mon, do your homework!! I found plenty more, which I wont go into.
My advice? Wait 'til it comes out in paperback! save some bucks!
04-16-02 06:42 PM
JaggaRichards
[I currently treading water until April 25th when Robert Caro's latest book on LBJ hits the Stores . This will be titled " Master of the Senate " and explicitly details the shenanigans of LBJ from 1949-1963( JFK 's assassination )]

Thanks for the tip!! I've been waiting AGES for Caro's next LBJ book. The first 2 were excellent. Some call the two 'hatchet jobs' but I call them fascinating!
LBJ, what an evil putz......
[Edited by JaggaRichards]
04-16-02 06:57 PM
gypsy Joey, I've developed a slight crush on you...don't tell anyone!
04-16-02 08:36 PM
Jaxx my sister gave it to me for xmas. i was saving it for trashy summer reading. the pics are GREAT! check the archives of this board for more discussion on the tome.
04-16-02 09:12 PM
gypsy The photos in the book are great!
04-17-02 12:13 AM
Cardinal Ximinez Old Gods is an inaccurate pile of tripe. It's like reading an in depth National Enquirer bio...except it's about 400 pages longer, and isn't quite as well written. For "Gods" sake, I could have written that book, and got more right than Davis did. His quotes come from other sources, and it seems that he stole an entire chapters from Chet Flippo, and Victor Bokris...There is NOTHING new in this book. The text is a complete waste of time.

HOWEVER!

The 2 photos of Marianne, and Anita, are worth a look-see. Those dames was HOT, and those racks are REAL! Yeah! Anyone seen scans of those pics on the 'net anywhere?
04-17-02 12:34 AM
gypsy I've scanned the pic of Anita...do you want me to send you a copy?
04-17-02 10:39 AM
Joey 'Joey, I've developed a slight crush on you...don't tell anyone! '

It is our little secret my Princess .

I would like to nuzzle you .
04-17-02 10:51 AM
Joey "Thanks for the tip!! I've been waiting AGES for Caro's next LBJ book. The first 2 were excellent. Some call the two 'hatchet jobs' but I call them fascinating!
LBJ, what an evil putz...... "

[Edited by JaggaRichards]

Yes , I agree with you one hundred percent . I have read Caro's first two books on LBJ and I have come to understand why society is the way it is today .

To understand America , you have to understand LBJ and how he rose to power . He really was the history of this great nation , with all of its turmoil , bombast , and arrogance . When one thinks back to the United States of the mid- 60's , it really was a time when we all thought that we could do anything , here , there , anywhere . When LBJ succeeded , America succeeded . And when LBJ failed , America failed .

Lyndon really moved .....most of us go through life scratching our balls or the back of our heads , not Johnson .... man that guy got things done . Unbelievable .

Joey , C9

04-17-02 11:10 AM
Maxlugar LBJ and JFK were two of the most warped men to occupy the Oval Office.

The third being WJC.

JFK would eventually have been thrown from office.
LBJ wouldn't even seek reelection.

"Fuck an East German spy for me, Ronnie!"

Max Reagan, American Hero.
04-17-02 11:27 AM
Joey "LBJ and JFK were two of the most warped men to occupy the Oval Office. "

So ?????????????? What is wrong with being warped ??????

As for our former dear leader " Bill Clinton " , the American people will never ever forget how powerful the economy was in the mid to late 1990's . When one looks at and then thinks of Clinton , one recalls the booming economy he gave to all of us . With each passing day , that economy grows ever more distant as Baby Bush creates the same horrific economy that Papa Bush gave us.......very slow growth , dead - in -the -water stock market , soaring deficits , roaring health care costs , cut backs in services , and the states wondering where all the money went .

The Democrats will capture the house in 2002 and Al Gore will win 45 states in 2004 because Baby Bush is just like his father , he does not understand that all people care about is food , booze and coos .

LBJ said it best , " To be a successful politician , one must keep the population sated . "

Satiation is the key .......give me a lot of money and I will shut up .

Bunny Joey , C9

04-17-02 12:11 PM
Maxlugar "Satiation is the key .......give me a lot of money and I will shut up ."

Spoken like a true liberal.

04-17-02 06:37 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Joey wrote:
As for our former dear leader " Bill Clinton " , the American people will never ever forget how powerful the economy was in the mid to late 1990's . When one looks at and then thinks of Clinton , one recalls the booming economy he gave to all of us .

i can't believe that load of bs is coming out of your mouth. bill clinton did not give us the booming nineties. fiscal policy has about a 15 year trickle down cycle. do the math....yeah he took credit all right. now you know why nobody, politician or chairman, manager whatever plans for the long run. someone else ALWAYS takes credit for it. so we are stuck with the damage that short term planning brings. the quick fix instead of the real deal.

>>Satiation is the key .......give me a lot of money and I will shut up .
Bunny Joey , C9

that makes you sound almost republican
04-17-02 07:42 PM
Maxlugar Damn straight Jaxxy.

Why, if you were here right now, I would hold you tight to my bosom, chin resting on the top of your head....

I'd make you forget the monster Blowey and Piss U. have made me.

Maxy!
04-17-02 07:45 PM
gypsy There, there, maxi-pad...calm down...deep breaths...
04-17-02 10:47 PM
JaggaRichards You have to be warped in one way or the other to want to become POTUS.
It's one the ULTIMATE warpo ambition jobs to covet!
04-17-02 10:52 PM
Cardinal Ximinez I've always said...Anyone who actively seeks the Office of the President of the USA displays a character flaw that should automatically disqualify them from having the job. If you WANT to be the Prez, you are one sick puppy.
04-17-02 11:00 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Cardinal Ximinez wrote:
If you WANT to be the Prez, you are one sick puppy.

therefore one can logically follow that only sick puppies become president.....
04-17-02 11:04 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Exactly Jaxx...exactly.

I mean, just LOOK at our 20th century presidents...power hungry, ruthless, control freaks, all of them.
04-17-02 11:16 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Cardinal Ximinez wrote:
I mean, just LOOK at our 20th century presidents

shit. do i have to? its getting late!

...power hungry, ruthless, control freaks, all of them.

yeah. the common denominator you forgot is that they enjoy thinking with that head stuck in between their legs....
04-17-02 11:18 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Why, if you were here right now, I would hold you tight to my bosom, chin resting on the top of your head....

who would have thought all it would take was a rightwinged comment to get YOU all ready to rock and roll? just thinking about the "no spin zone" gets me weak in the kneees...
04-17-02 11:22 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Jaxx, thinking with the head between their legs doesn't make them nuts...it just makes them males.
Page: 1 2

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.