ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

In disgusie opening for the Stones with Billy Preston
© 1973 London Features International
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chuck Leavell's team seeks to plant trees in record time (nsc) Return to archive
April 22nd, 2005 09:19 AM
moy Team seeks to plant trees in record time
By STACY SHELTON
Cox News Service
Friday, April 22, 2005

ATLANTA — When Rolling Stones keyboardist Chuck Leavell needs some quiet time during his world tours alongside Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, he walks through a park.

Walking through trees "helps keep me sane . . . It brings you closer to the earth, closer in a spiritual way to nature. In a way, that's my church," said Leavell, who lives on a 2,200-acre tree farm south of Macon, Ga.

KIMBERLY SMITH/Cox News Service
(enlarge photo)
Chuck Leavell in the midst of some young longleaf pines at Charlane Plantation in central Georgia.
Today — the 35th anniversary of Earth Day — the rock musician will spread the green gospel at a suburban Atlanta park. Leavell and 250 volunteers will plant more than 200 dogwood, Japanese persimmon, crabapple, nuttall oak and other trees between noon and 1 p.m. as part of a national effort to break the Guinness World Record for most trees planted in 60 minutes.

Groups in 10 cities are participating, from Charleston, S.C., to Seattle.

Their cumulative goal is 4,200 trees. That's 100 more than a group of British schoolchildren managed two years ago.

Leavell, 52, is working with Trees Atlanta, Keep Cobb Beautiful, the Cobb County Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs and local schools.

The Wood Promotion Network, a coalition of forest product companies, donated the trees valued at $8,500.

Atlanta Falcons running back T.J. Duckett will count down the clock for the team, made up largely of schoolchildren.

Trees Atlanta, which celebrates its 20th anniversary May 7, will add to its tree count in metro Atlanta.

The nonprofit organization has planted or distributed 64,000 trees in its effort to regreen the metropolis.

Today's event is "an opportunity to get the word out to plant trees and save the ones we've got," said Trees Atlanta executive director Marcia Bansley.

Ask her why trees are important in cities, and a litany begins:

"They help clean the air. They help trap dust and particulate matter that comes out of car exhaust and power plants . . . Unless [the soot] gets trapped it ends up in your lungs . . . Their leaves will slow down the water flow . . . We're a hot, Southern city, and the trees will transpire the water and cool the air around them.

Leavell is equally passionate.

"The importance of this material cannot be overstated," said Leavell. "I wouldn't have my piano to play; Charlie Watts wouldn't have his drums; Keith Richards wouldn't have his guitar."

Stacy Shelton writes for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. E-mail: [email protected]
April 22nd, 2005 10:55 AM
egon "The importance of this material cannot be overstated," said Leavell. "I wouldn't have my piano to play; Charlie Watts wouldn't have his drums; Keith Richards wouldn't have his guitar."

poetry!

April 22nd, 2005 11:25 AM
Pierre NOT a paino Chuck, a keyboard, big difference dude.

You will never be Stu or Nicky...
April 22nd, 2005 04:19 PM
luxury1 Ok, the important thing here is, Chuck, baby, are you gonna trim that mountain man beard of yours before the start of the tour??
April 22nd, 2005 07:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Pierre wrote:
NOT a paino Chuck, a keyboard, big difference dude.

You will never be Stu or Nicky...

He never will be the shade of both!
April 22nd, 2005 10:50 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
moy wrote:
Walking through trees "helps keep me sane

I tried that today. I need more ice to keep my face from swelling.
April 23rd, 2005 12:10 AM
BILL PERKS LISTEN TO CHUCK JAMMIN ON WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN ON LIVE LICKS AROUND 3:30...FANTASTIC SONG
April 26th, 2005 01:59 PM
steel driving hammer In this photo released by Trees Atlanta, Atlanta Falcons' T.J Duckett, center, and Rolling Stones keyboardist and avid forester Chuck Leavell, top right, help school children from Dowell and Nicholson Elementary schools plant more than 500 trees in one hour as part of an Earth Day effort to attempt to break the Guinness record, Friday, April 22, 2005, at Stout Park in Powder Springs, Ga. The Powder Springs effort was part of a 10-city effort to plant more than 4,100 trees in an hour. Other participating cities include Washington DC, Detroit and Seattle.

April 26th, 2005 02:43 PM
CraigP Chuck is such a TAURUS!!!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour