ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

In disgusie opening for the Stones with Billy Preston
© 1973 London Features International
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "The Stones" book by Philip Norman Return to archive
April 21st, 2005 11:11 PM
Vinyl kills Is this book worth a reading??? It'a a fat one!

Thanks for your time.
April 21st, 2005 11:20 PM
stonedinaustralia yes worth reading imo

it's not fantastic or great or anything but worth a read

as with nearly all stones books there are some factual inaccuracies (i'm sure others, e.g. gazza, can provide specifics on this point)but as stones' histories go it's ok

it's been twenty years since i read it but from memory norman was relatively balanced in his assesments - although i do suspect at heart he's no huge fan of the band or their music

April 22nd, 2005 04:43 AM
Gazza Its a mediocre book. Tells you nothing you didnt already know.

Very skimpy on the post-1960's period. Every time the Stones do a tour, Norman seems to cash in on it by adding a new chapter which must have taken about two minutes to write and which, going by the factual errors, was researched by a chipmunk.

He's endlessly championed in the British press (especially by the Daily Mail) as 'the' authority on the Stones, but anything I've read from him in recent years has been tiresome and he's barely been capable of a positive comment on the band in the last couple of decades.

His Beatles biography that preceded this one ("Shout!") was very good, but this is just basically a cut and paste hack job that actually gets worse with each new "updated" version.
April 22nd, 2005 08:55 AM
Vinyl kills Thanks fellas!

Could you recommend atleast 5 or more top books on them?

April 22nd, 2005 09:17 AM
Gazza depends what kind of books you're looking for

do you mean the biographical kind of books, first hand accounts etc?

For books restricted to a specific time frame :

Journey through America - Robert Greenfield's account of the '72 tour

True adventures of the rolling stones - stanley booth's eye witness account of the '69 tour

Lipstick, Powders and Chemicals (I think thats the right name) - by Chet Flippo. First hand stories of the Stones on the road through the mid to late 70's

For biographies :

Keith Richards by Victor Bockris is a good read. It's a bit flawed in many ways, but still a fascinating glimpse.

Most of the Mick biographies vary from mediocre to awful.

theres several to avoid, such as "Old Gods almost dead", which is so full of factual innaccuracies its hard to take the readable parts of it seriously.

the more recent large-size official books such as "According to the rolling stones" and "a life on the road" are both excellent.
April 23rd, 2005 11:51 PM
rogerriffin Thanks gazza for your counsels, Phillip Norman LOS ROLLING STONES spanish version was my first book of my life that did read fully, i´m in searching of that you tell us .
April 24th, 2005 07:32 AM
keith_tif For me the best book on STONES was written by François BON, a french writter. It's more a study on the band than another stones' history. It's not slim, about 600 pages. He made this book during 10 years. The Title is THE ROLLING STONES. it is was published in 2003 but i don't know if there a english translation.
I read Norman's book but i don't remind this book, i liked it but i was young at this period!
April 24th, 2005 08:03 AM
HomerJRichards I've just finished reading Alan Clayson's Keith biography & i quite enjoyed it once i got past all the dramatic imagery & big words he likes to use. I've just started reading Clayson's biography on Charlie and that also so far is quite good. According to the Clayson nobody else has written a biography on Charlie - anyone know if this is correct. Can't wait to read his biographies on the rest of the band members.
April 24th, 2005 08:48 AM
glimmertwin50 Actually, Clayson has released books on Mick J., Brian and Charlie in addition to Keith.
April 24th, 2005 02:47 PM
Surround Sister Thanks for Charlie-bio info, Homer.
Agree with Gazza btw on Bockris.

Anyone read the 2004 biography on Keef?
(Dont remember authors name at the moment,
but the book´s size is about the same as Bockris´s)
[Edited by Surround Sister]
April 24th, 2005 03:10 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Clayson's books are supposed to be part of a 6 book collection on the Stones.

Another book to avoid: Christopher Sandford's "Keith Richards: Satisfaction". Full of mistakes and makes it seem as if the other Stones had nothing to do with the band's success.
April 24th, 2005 07:55 PM
tumbling dice
Tony sanches Up and Down is the book about the stones,STP by Robert Greenfield and Stanley Booth´s A Journey Through America are excellent .
April 25th, 2005 08:26 AM
HomerJRichards yeah i knew about Clayson writing the bios on Mick, Keith, Charlie, Bill & Brian. I've been told Ronnie & Mick T ones are also in the pipeline. Gotta have em all
April 25th, 2005 08:05 PM
Surround Sister I liked Sandford´s Keith-book.
I guess it depends on what you´re after.
If your since long gone well into this, you can distinct facts from opinions. Well, he raises Keef up in the skies;
but too many others are doing the opposite.
April 25th, 2005 11:16 PM
BILL PERKS CHRISTOPHER ANDERSON'S MICK JAGGER BOOK IS AWFUL..AS IS CLAYSON'S CHARLIE WATTS BOOK
MUST READS
KEITH RICHARDS-BOCKRIS
TRUE ADVENTURES-BOOTH
UP AND DOWN-SANCHEZ
A JOURNEY THROUGH AMERICA-GREENFIELD
ALL THE RAGE-IAN MCGLAGAN
DIARY OF A STUDIO OWNER-GIL MARKLE(INTERNET)
ROLLING STONES-ROBERT PALMER
April 26th, 2005 06:57 AM
Surround Sister "CHRISTOPHER ANDERSON'S MICK JAGGER BOOK IS AWFUL"

YES. IT IS. I fully agree.
April 26th, 2005 11:03 AM
HellsRollingThunder Alan Crayson's book on Brian Jones is excellent.
Bill Wyman's two books are excellent.
Have Laura Jackson's book, According to the Rolling Stones is
very excellent as well. I have always been advised by other
Stone book readers that many of the books out on the band are
horrible and of course as we all know just out for a fast moolah.
Alan Crayson from what I understand is the best biographical
author for the band. Good Luck.
April 26th, 2005 11:10 AM
christijanus
True adventures of the rolling stones - stanley booth's eye witness account of the '69 tour

Journey through America - Robert Greenfield's account of the '72 tour

The first one is the best one ever imo, very readable, second also very good
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour