ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

In disgusie opening for the Stones with Billy Preston
© 1973 London Features International
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Johnson's Funeral Return to archive
April 21st, 2005 01:47 PM
HellsRollingThunder Tomorrow is the funeral of Johnny Johnson longtime friend of
Chuck Berry and musician. It will be held at the Jefferson Barracks
National Cemetery in St Louis Missouri at 2 00PM. A Huge crowd
of musicians from all over the world are expected from what I
understand. I am going to try and go with Chuck Berry's bass
player's brother Calvin. If we go and anyone happens to be
interested I will be glad to share information. Jimmy and Calvin's
mother passed this past Sunday at the age of 85 so I hope Cal is
up to it. So just passing this along in case anyone might be
interested. Thanks just the same.
April 21st, 2005 02:09 PM
gimmekeef Please take the spirit of Stones fans from all over the world with you.....No Johnny Johnson....perhaps no Stones...He was a wonderful pianist who seldom got his due IMHO.Drink of Tanqueray with Keith is a great tune....I hope Keith can make it to honor Johnny's memory....
April 21st, 2005 02:48 PM
gimmekeef Probably overstated my case about no Johnny perhaps no Stones...major influence nontheless......
April 21st, 2005 02:55 PM
muddy Chuck Berry is having a tribute concert to honor Johnnie and raise funds for his family.

April 29th at The Pageant in St. Louis

http://www.chuckberry.com/viewheadline.php?id=3117
April 21st, 2005 06:32 PM
HellsRollingThunder FLASH!! I JUST FOUND OUT THAT KEITH RICHARDS AND
ERIC CLAPTON WILL BE AT THE FUNERAL TOMORROW FOR
JOHNNIE JOHNSON!!

I don't know who else will be there, but it will probably be a mess
trying to get into the cemetary. The funeral home is up in North
St Louis and is going all the way down south to the Veterans
Administration Cemetary which by the way is a beautiful place.
I think those heavy duty rockers will fly in and fly right out again.
I am still trying to talk Calvin into going. They announced these
names on the television just a few minutes ago so every Rolling
Stones fan and rock fan will show up just to see their favorite
rock star. I can just imagine how many people will be there,
I bet at LEAST 1500 if not a whole lot more. And they will not
be at the Pageant either just at the funeral. Or maybe just at the
funeral home only. Oh well should be interesting. Thanks for the
support.
April 21st, 2005 07:46 PM
glencar Would real fans invade a funeral just to catch a glimpse of KR? Give him some space, folks. I remember one person was crushed that she didn't make Chuch McGee's funeral back in Michigan a few years back.
April 21st, 2005 08:01 PM
Taptrick

Johnny must be a veteran,

April 21st, 2005 08:57 PM
LadyJane
quote:
glencar wrote:
Would real fans invade a funeral just to catch a glimpse of KR? Give him some space, folks.

Worse yet....said maniacal "fan(s)" attacks KR for the "murder" of Brian Jones.

Very, very sad...and creepy.

LJ.

April 21st, 2005 09:48 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
Would real fans invade a funeral just to catch a glimpse of KR? Give him some space, folks. I remember one person was crushed that she didn't make Chuch McGee's funeral back in Michigan a few years back.

I don't think so.
April 22nd, 2005 12:35 AM
Rolling1 Today artists local & national came to pay their repect for the legendary pianist, and they did it by having a day-long musical celebration. Musicians Bob Wier (Gratefull Dead, Ratdog) Richard Young (Kentucky Headhunters) were among many who jammed all day. Condolenced were received from Atlantic Records, Keith Richards, Eric Claption, Aerosmith, Bonnie Raitt. Frances Johnson (wife) was moved by the outpouring of love for her husband, saying she knew he was loved but todays outpouring really moved her.

article - http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=78396

http://www.kmov.com/localnews/stories/kmov_localnews_050421_johnsonfuneral.1fd19ea8c.html

Next friday the 29th Chuck Berry is having a benefit show for Johnnie's family at the pageant here in st louis. Line up is Chuck Berry, Henry Townsend, Johnnie Johnson Band, Bennie Smith, Silvercloud, Barbara Carr, Billy Peek, Larry Thurston, Mae Wheeler, Rich McDonough Band, Marsha Evans, Uvee Hayes, Rondos Blues Deluxe, Stacy Johnson, Kim Massie, Beau Shelby, Jimmie Lee & River City Blues, Oliver Johnson, JR Reed, Daryl Davis - tickets go on sale this friday 22nd at 5:00pm thru ticketmaster, cost $10.00 (have mercy). Pageant holds 1500 and is great place for a concert. Show will sell out in mins.. It will be interesting to see if any big names drop in for this show. I'll be there.
April 22nd, 2005 02:45 AM
UGot2Rollme very cool that they're having a big jam session - Bob Weir chartering a plane and flying his whole band into town for it - that's the way to honor this legend who never got enough credit for his contributions.

Rest in Peace, Johnnie!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour