ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

In disgusie opening for the Stones with Billy Preston
© 1973 London Features International
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones for Israel in 2006 Return to archive
April 20th, 2005 05:22 AM
Gazza Good news for Leah and all the rest of RO's members in Israel :

Many thanks to Chris D on IORR who found this :

http://www.israel21c.org/bin/en.jsp?enDispWho=InThePress&enPage=BlankPage&enDisplay=view&enDispWhat=Zone&enZone=InThePress&Date=04/19/05

The Rolling Stones headed for Israel
Apr. 19 - Venerable rock legends The Rolling Stones announced that they will make their first-ever appearance in Israel during their world tour in 2006. According to a report on Israel Radio, the band's representatives cited a lowering of tension in the region and reduced insurance costs as reasons for making a concert in Israel viable. The Stones are the latest old-time name to jump on the Israel bandwagon in recent days, as German rockers The Scorpions and British rocker/crooner Phil Collins also announced tour dates in Israel - The Scorpions in July and Collins in November.

cue lots of "what have the Stones done for Israel today" type posts.....
[Edited by Gazza]
April 20th, 2005 06:27 AM
marko Looks like we´re getting interesting tour.These are the places we missed on the licks tour.
April 20th, 2005 08:24 AM
Madafaka Looks like a really WORLD tour this time!
April 20th, 2005 08:31 AM
Zack Colombo, Sri Lanka is next! I can feel it!
April 20th, 2005 08:43 AM
J.J.Flash Joey.......

what about your plans for this morning?!?

Developing!

J. Sobell!
April 20th, 2005 01:13 PM
glencar I am going there with Joshy in the spirit of Judeo-Christian friendship. I just hope no one bombs us whilst there!
April 20th, 2005 01:31 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
I am going there with Joshy in the spirit of Judeo-Christian friendship. I just hope no one bombs us whilst there!

joshy tells me that this may lift his self imposed international travel ban.
April 20th, 2005 02:21 PM
Surround Sister Thank you, Gazza.
Israel... Middle East... It´s gettin hot.
I suppose the gig wont take place in the Gaz(z)a strip.
April 20th, 2005 04:40 PM
egon
[Edited by egon]
April 20th, 2005 04:58 PM
J.J.Flash Mr. Vrugt......

the following thursday and friday are holiday down here.....
April 20th, 2005 05:09 PM
egon
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Mr. VAN DE Vrugt......

the following thursday and friday are holiday down here..... THIS IS GOOD NEWS. 2 DAYS OF BEER DRINKING;
PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO HAVE ONE ON ME. HELL, MAKE THAT 2!

April 20th, 2005 05:58 PM
rogerriffin This time a great WORLD TOUR----------->

CONGRATULATIONS TO ISRAEL.

April 20th, 2005 06:32 PM
Gazza from The Jersualem Post :

Rolling Stones to make Israel debut
By DAVID BRINN

For the first time, Israelis may finally get some satisfaction.

Venerable rock legends The Rolling Stones are adding a date here on their "farewell" tour slated to kick off in August and take them around the world into 2006.

Israel Radio reported that a lowering of tension in the region has enabled insurance companies to reduce the cost of insuring bands and equipment, prompting the Stones to make their first foray to Israel. The group has toured around the world many times since becoming international figures in 1964, but has never ventured to the Middle East.

"This is rumored to be their last tour, and they want to play in countries they've never been to," said Benny Dudkevitch, a pop music historian and Israel Radio's pop music correspondent. "The youngest member of the band is Ronnie Wood and he's 58."

He said that the Israel show has been confirmed for 2006, but promoter Shuki Weiss denied to The Jerusalem Post that he had been in contact with the Stones' management.

When Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 63, was diagnosed with throat cancer last summer, the future of the band was in question. But now as Watts has made a full recovery, the Stones, led by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, both 61, have planned the tour as well as recorded a new album, their first in eight years

The Stones are the latest old-time name to jump on the Israel bandwagon in recent days, as German rockers The Scorpions and British entertainer Phil Collins have also announced tour dates in Israel– The Scorpions in July and Collins in November.

Note : IORR lists the location for the rumoured show as Hayarkon Park, Tel Aviv.
April 20th, 2005 06:35 PM
Some Guy We'll see.
April 20th, 2005 07:33 PM
Soldatti It seems that we will get a BIG world tour in 2006.
April 20th, 2005 07:54 PM
Poplar
hell yeah! how bout shows at the Vatican and Mecca?
April 20th, 2005 08:33 PM
corgi37 So long as they come to Oz, they can play Timbuktu for all i care.
April 20th, 2005 10:38 PM
Soldatti So long as they come to Argentina, they can play Burkina Faso for all i care.
April 21st, 2005 04:48 AM
Gazza so long as they play in Belfast, they can play Bora Bora for all I care. And even America.
April 21st, 2005 05:26 AM
FotiniD If someone can clarify this for me, please do.
Who calls the shots when it comes to deciding tour dates?

Does the tour manager plan the cities and then come in contact with the local gig companies etc. or vice versa?

For instance, if the Stones miss Greece this time around (God forbid ), who do I kick in the a$$? Some stupid Greek or Michael Cohl?
April 21st, 2005 06:35 AM
marko I think,that they WON`T miss Greece this time around,just
because Israel is on the same way.....so i think,your chances getting a show,is good.
Btw,my cousin lives in Greece.About 150km north east from
Athens.
April 21st, 2005 06:37 AM
FotiniD
quote:
marko wrote:
I think,that they WON`T miss Greece this time around,just
because Israel is on the same way.....so i think,your chances getting a show,is good.
Btw,my cousin lives in Greece.About 150km north east from
Athens.

Yeah, Israel got my hopes up too
I didn't know your cousin lived in Greece
April 21st, 2005 07:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
If someone can clarify this for me, please do.
Who calls the shots when it comes to deciding tour dates?

Does the tour manager plan the cities and then come in contact with the local gig companies etc. or vice versa?

For instance, if the Stones miss Greece this time around (God forbid ), who do I kick in the a$$? Some stupid Greek or Michael Cohl?

I would imagine its a combination of the band wanting to play a certain place, the tour manager and promoter checking to see if it can fit into the tour itinerary (ie availability of the venue on the required date(s)), seeing if it's economically viable (ie how much will they get and what kind of local interest is there likely to be)

There's no way the Stones or anyone else would be booked to play somewhere where they specifically didnt want to go.

Personally speaking, if it doesnt come off, I'd kick the ass of BOTH the promoter and Michael Cohl. Just to be on the safe side.
April 21st, 2005 09:24 PM
Soldatti
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

I can't believe why they didn't play there during the last tour, they sold 80,000 tickets for a single show in 1998!
April 22nd, 2005 02:24 PM
Joey
quote:
rogerriffin wrote:
This time a great WORLD TOUR----------->

CONGRATULATIONS TO ISRAEL.

Yes , Congratulations Israel !

" The term "anti-Semite" was coined in Germany in 1879 by Wilhelm Marrih to refer to the anti-Jewish manifestations of the period and to give Jew-hatred a more scientific sounding name.1 "Anti-Semitism" has been accepted and understood to mean hatred of the Jewish people. Dictionaries define the term as: "Theory, action, or practice directed against the Jews" and "Hostility towards Jews as a religious or racial minority group, often accompanied by social, economic and political discrimination."2

The claim that Arabs as "Semites" cannot possibly be anti-Semitic is a semantic distortion that ignores the reality of Arab discrimination and hostility toward Jews. Arabs, like any other people, can indeed be anti-Semitic. "

April 22nd, 2005 03:03 PM
glencar I read elsewhere that this show is somewhat doubtful. It may've been shidobeeeee but all I know is Joshy took it in stride.
[Edited by glencar]
April 23rd, 2005 10:54 AM
egon really; F israel. Marseille is all i care about.
Twice this year please!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour