ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

In disgusie opening for the Stones with Billy Preston
© 1973 London Features International
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What are your New Album plans Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 19th, 2005 06:50 PM
Some Guy Do you rush out at midnight and buy it?
Stay up all night jamming!
Lay out the next day?
Lay in front of the speakers and keep playing that one tune over and over?
April 19th, 2005 07:00 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Let's just hope for now that there'll be tracks on there that give us the urge to do that.
April 19th, 2005 07:06 PM
Snappy McJack WHAT album?
April 19th, 2005 07:34 PM
Poplar
Some Guy!!!! Good to hear from you. Your threads always do it for me.

Whether it's new U2, Stones, local bands, whatever... my usual gig is as follows: Buy it the day (forget the midnight stuff) it's out. Then, I let it sit in the wrapper while I'm at work, allowing my anticipation to build... maybe checking out some online reviews so i have some other reactions swirling in my head. After work, gotta warm up with a few cocktails. Then, once the buzz is starting to percolate, it's home to the stereo for a good blasting. Repeat as necessary.
April 19th, 2005 07:36 PM
glencar I play it in the car over & over. I figure out what tunes are great although that is subject to change in later years.
April 19th, 2005 09:08 PM
Bob Tamp I'll just be psyched to hear the fucking thing. Once I get the rush over, then I will listen to it more objectively.
April 19th, 2005 09:19 PM
Gimme Shelter Buy it the day it comes out and then get psyched up for the tour.
April 19th, 2005 09:22 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Do you rush out at midnight and buy it?
Stay up all night jamming!
Lay out the next day?

1- No
2- No
3- Maybe
4- Sure, for a week or two.
April 19th, 2005 10:50 PM
corgi37 Download it for nothing.

Kidding. Salivate at work all day, then buy it straight after. Open it up while driving home, and at every red light (well, the ones i dont ignore) i check out the lyrics, pics and general info.

Then bolt in to home, slam it in the player, sit back and go
"What a load of shit. Keith singing lounge again! Not another reggae track. Oh, this is woeful".

Well, thats what i'm expecting. As i said, hoping for Exile, probably get Dirty Work.
April 19th, 2005 11:08 PM
time is on my side I'll buy it the first day it's released. Normally, I take off during my lunch break and head strait for the record store. Once it's been bought, it goes straight into the CD player so I can listen to a few tunes while I head back to work. Since I'm fortunate to have a CD player in my computer at work, I'll take the Stones CD out of the CD player in the car and bring it with me to work. On an important day like this, all incoming messages will be put on hold and my co-workers will not hear from me the rest of the day. For many hours, it will be just me and the Stones. From this process, will soon come a realization on whether or not we have good product or average product (if it's only average, I may emerge and say hello to a co-worker or two).
April 19th, 2005 11:44 PM
MrPleasant I'll restraint myself from hearing any new single until the album effectively comes out. Then, I'll give the disc at least three chances in a row.

If it sucks, I'll put the bottle or beer can down for a moment and play some "Ya-Ya's" instead.
April 20th, 2005 12:45 AM
CraigP Rush out when the record store opens. Play it over and over again as a whole and listen intensely. After all it is my favorite band
April 20th, 2005 01:32 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! I've always bought it the day it comes out. Then grab some brews, put it the stereo, turn up very loud and just sit back and listen, for usually two or three times right off the bat. Some albums I've had to warm up to, like Undercover as I thought it was not very good on the first listen and then it grew on me pretty quick. Others I thought were great from the first to last track the very first time that I checked it out. So my plans will be the same this time as well, I just hope it's one of those that I love the first take.
April 20th, 2005 01:49 AM
Bloozehound I've taken a beat from the Star Wars geeks, I'm already camped outside my local Best Buy so I can be the first one to buy it when it comes out

I've also brought along a can of gas & a lighter, so if it sucks I'm gonna douse myself in gas and flick the bic, cd in hand

I strongly encourage all of you to do it too, we'll show'em we ain't fuckin' around this time
April 20th, 2005 02:28 AM
MrPleasant Yeah. Who says we're obsessive?
April 20th, 2005 03:27 AM
IanBillen
How you listen to an album the first time is often how you remember it years down the road.

I go get the first day. It is the first thing on the agenda list that day and certainly the record store is the first place I go after I shower and leave the house. I know whats up with that as soon as I wake.

Next
A car ride with the entire album played from start to finish.

After that....who knows.

Ian

April 20th, 2005 04:43 AM
wisertime
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

How you listen to an album the first time is often how you remember it years down the road.

I go get the first day. It is the first thing on the agenda list that day and certainly the record store is the first place I go after I shower and leave the house. I know whats up with that as soon as I wake.

Next
A car ride with the entire album played from start to finish.

After that....who knows.

Ian

Yes, that's the thing to do : Go to the store the day the album is released and to follow with a car ride listening to the album. Thanks IanBillen, that's what I'll do !!
April 20th, 2005 05:32 AM
Gazza then drive the car over the edge of a cliff if the album is shit!

Ian, with the amount of worrying and stressing you've done in recent months over this album, I would not recommend you be behind the wheel of a car within 24-48 hours before or after it's release.
[Edited by Gazza]
April 20th, 2005 06:30 AM
marko i´ll buy the damn things,and then,me and my mates over here.Are going to have a STONES BARBEQUE DAY,at our house.
Lots of boose bills and music.
April 20th, 2005 07:02 AM
SirMuddy First I skip work
No work that day
it's a stone day
then roll a big one
and smoke it on my way
then go get the thing
get back home
roll another one
and played it damn loud
and over and over again
Bad or good doesn't matter
It's the Stones
Maybe the last one
Anyway, we are lucky
look at the Beatles
surely gonna cry
as sure as I'm gonna laugh
and roll another one
for the sun
April 20th, 2005 08:22 AM
Madafaka I'll buy the new album and I'll play it over and over again, in the car, in the work, in my house, in my friends' house, etc.
April 20th, 2005 11:37 AM
FPM C10 My ritual is similar to Corgi's. Buy it the day it comes out, and drive with my knees while I rip off the shrink wrap and read the credits, occasionally glancing up to avoid oncoming traffic. I don't have a CD player in my car so I won't hear it until I get home. Once home I will catch a buzz, tell everyone not to bother me for an hour, close the doors to my editing room, turn out the lights, and listen to the whole thing from beginning to end. Maybe listen to a few tracks again to make sure they're as great as I think they are. Then, geek that I am, I'll probably get online and post my review.

I'll never forget the release of Some Girls - I was in a frat house at the University of Pennsylvania (remember the movie Blow? Well I'm pretty sure the character Johnny Depp played was there that night)and we were all getting geared up for the Stones show at JFK Stadium the next day. I had bought the album on my way there and I played it at least a dozen times that night so I would know the songs when they played them.

That was a horrible show, as it turned out, but my memories of it are still sort of fun.

This album WILL be great. I can feel it in my bones.

April 20th, 2005 06:32 PM
Some Guy I am very proud to be a member of this board! Truly inspirational!
April 20th, 2005 06:40 PM
Dan I am a poor bastard right now, I will have to at least hear some of it before I decide whether or not its worth buying at all. I dont go around buying new albums unheard anymore. Might wait for it to turn up used.

The only new album I bought in 2005 was the Judas Priest album. Only listened to it a few times but the anticipation was much higher. At least it came with a DVD though.
April 20th, 2005 08:51 PM
corgi37 The Stones are the only band whose cd i will buy unheard. Mind you, that doesnt mean i bought Live Licks. Never will either. But, as for studio stuff, i have bought every new release the day it came out, since Emotional Rescue.

I cant be bothered buying cd's any more. I usually just download old stuff. I just dont like music anymore.

I prefer to make my own.
April 20th, 2005 10:03 PM
Bob Tamp The initial rush from hearing it will be great. I always get goose bumps listening to new Stones. By the 3rd spin I will know if this is something I like or a piece of shit.
Most of their albums take at least a few spins to really get into.
April 22nd, 2005 05:27 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:
then drive the car over the edge of a cliff if the album is shit!

Ian, with the amount of worrying and stressing you've done in recent months over this album, I would not recommend you be behind the wheel of a car within 24-48 hours before or after it's release.

Well of coarse. I hadn't overlooked that. I've been planning ahead. I already bought a pair of shackles and a straight jacket incase it isn't up to snuff.

Ian
April 22nd, 2005 05:29 AM
IanBillen
Wisertime wrote:

"Yes, that's the thing to do : Go to the store the day the album is released and to follow with a car ride listening to the album. Thanks IanBillen, that's what I'll do !!"
_____________________________________________________________________________________

And Don't forget to check the tires!

Ian
April 22nd, 2005 08:43 AM
Some Guy It's getting closer. I can feel it!
April 22nd, 2005 08:50 AM
exile what month is the release date?
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour