ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

In disgusie opening for the Stones with Billy Preston
© 1973 London Features International
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: UK Channel 4 Top 100 albums Return to archive Page: 1 2
April 18th, 2005 10:45 PM
Soldatti RADIOHEAD BEAT BEATLES AND STONES IN BEST ALBUM POLL

British rockers RADIOHEAD are the surprise winners of a Best Album survey with their 1998 record OK COMPUTER.

The PARANOID ANDROID stars beat music legends THE BEATLES, THE ROLLING STONES and MICHAEL JACKSON in the poll conducted by British television network CHANNEL 4.

Half a million people were consulted on their personal favourites in Channel 4's quest to find the 100 greatest albums in music history.

U2 came second with 1987 album THE JOSHUA TREE, and NIRVANA are third from the top with 1991's NEVERMIND.

REM star MICHAEL STIPE agreed with the poll, saying, "OK Computer really stretched and pushed the boundaries of what Radiohead think they're capable of doing. It is a classic and brilliant record."

THE SMITHS guitarist JOHNNY MARR adds, "OK Computer is pretty much a landmark record."

The Top 100 Albums are:

1. RADIOHEAD - OK Computer
2. U2 - The Joshua Tree
3. NIRVANA - Nevermind
4. MICHAEL JACKSON - Thriller
5. PINK FLOYD - Dark Side of the Moon
6. OASIS - Definitely Maybe
7. THE BEATLES - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
8. MADONNA - Like a Prayer
9. GUNS N' ROSES - Appetite For Destruction
10. THE BEATLES - Revolver
11. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
12. THE BEATLES - The White Album
13. QUEEN - A Night at the Opera
14. COLDPLAY - Parachutes
15. OASIS - (What's the Story) Morning Glory
16. ALANIS MORISSETTE - Jagged Little Pill
17. LED ZEPPELIN - Led Zeppelin IV
18. THE VERVE - Urban Hymns
19. JIMI HENDRIX - Are you Experienced
20. THE SMITHS - The Queen Is Dead
21. JOHN LENNON - Imagine
22. RADIOHEAD - The Bends
23. BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS - Exodus
24. THE STONE ROSES - The Stone Roses
25. SIMON AND GARFUNKEL - Bridge Over Troubled Water
26. BJORK - Debut
27. THE DOORS - The Doors
28. ABBA - Arrival
29. MICHAEL JACKSON - Off the Wall
30. DURAN DURAN - Rio
31. SEX PISTOLS - Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols
32. DAVID BOWIE - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
33. THE BEACH BOYS - Pet Sounds
34. JOY DIVISION - Closer
35. THE ROLLING STONES - Let It Bleed
36. BLUR - Parklife
37. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Born to Run
38. BILLIE HOLIDAY - Lady Sings the Blues
39. THE WHITE STRIPES - Elephant
40. BLACK SABBATH - Paranoid
41. THE SPECIALS - Specials
42. THE ROLLING STONES - Exile on Main Street
43. FRANK SINATRA - Songs for Swingin' Lovers!
44. THE CLASH - London Calling
45. THE PRODIGY - The Fat of the Land
46. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND - The Velvet Underground and Nico
47. DIRE STRAITS - Brothers in Arms
48. PIXIES - Doolittle
49. ARETHA FRANKLIN - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
50. THE LIBERTINES - The Libertines
51. HAPPY MONDAYS - Pills 'N' Thrills and Bellyaches
52. PATTI SMITH - Horses
53. THE WHO - Tommy
54. LOU REED - Transformer
55. BOB DYLAN - Blood on the Tracks
56. PRINCE - Sign 'o' the Times
57. DIDO - No Angel
58. AIR - Moon Safari
59. ELTON JOHN - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
60. THE JAM - All Mod Cons
61. JEFF BUCKLEY - Grace
62. FLEETWOOD MAC - Rumours
63. MOBY - Play
64. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
65. THE POLICE - Synchronicity
66. JONI MITCHELL - Blue
67. CURTIS MAYFIELD - Superfly
68. ELVIS PRESLEY - The Sun Sessions
69. OUTKAST - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
70. PULP - Different Class
71. KRAFTWERK - Trans-Europe Express
72. MASSIVE ATTACK - Blue Lines
73. BECK - Odelay
74. STEVIE WONDER - Songs in the Key of Life
75. KATE BUSH - Hounds of Love
76. TALKING HEADS - Fear of Music
77. EMINEM - The Marshall Mathers LP
78. MARVIN GAYE - What's Going On
79. GEORGE MICHAEL - Faith
80. SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER - The Original Movie Soundtrack
81. PRIMAL SCREAM - Screamadelica
82. JOHN COLTRANE - A Love Supreme
83. LOVE - Forever Changes
84. PAUL SIMON - Graceland
85. NICK DRAKE - Five Leaves Left
86. MEAT LOAF - Bat Out of Hell
87. DUSTY SPRINGFIELD - Dusty in Memphis
88. DE LA SOUL - 3 Feet High and Rising
89. THE STROKES - Is this It
90. MADNESS - One Step Beyond...
91. ROBBIE WILLIAMS - I've Been Expecting You
92. NEIL YOUNG - After the Gold Rush
93. PUBLIC ENEMY - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
94. BLONDIE - Parallel Lines
95. THE EAGLES - Hotel California
96. JAMES BROWN - Sex Machine
97. THE STREETS - A Grand Don't Come for Free
98. DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
99. ROD STEWART - Every Picture Tells a Story
100. The HUMAN LEAGUE - Dare!

17/04/2005 21:33
April 18th, 2005 10:54 PM
Brainbell Jangler I own 57 of those albums (the good ones, mostly).
April 18th, 2005 10:58 PM
MrPleasant Rubbish.
April 19th, 2005 06:13 AM
Doxa Wow, the Brits just don't disappoint the expectations: they love more Abba and Duran Duran than the Stones! (I know Radiohead, U2 and Nirvana; Beatles etc. would beat them anytime, but those two first mentioned...)

Please can anyone explain me why the Stones really are so underestimated nowadays in their homeland? They seem to be a worth of shit to Brits. And please, not excuses about the weakness of the voting system, etc.

- Doxa
[Edited by Doxa]
April 19th, 2005 08:37 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Rubbish.

Most of those albums are pretty good. It's the order that's probably rubbish. There are some missing notables such as.....Sticky Fingers,
2. Machine Head - Deep Purple
3. Abraxys - Santana
4. Band of Gypsies - Hendrix
5. Wheels of Fire - Cream

etc. etc. etc..............

.....There must be a ton of others that aren't on that list but should be.
April 19th, 2005 09:05 AM
Gazza
quote:
Doxa wrote:
Wow, the Brits just don't disappoint the expectations: they love more Abba and Duran Duran than the Stones! (I know Radiohead, U2 and Nirvana; Beatles etc. would beat them anytime, but those two first mentioned...)

Please can anyone explain me why the Stones really are so underestimated nowadays in their homeland? They seem to be a worth of shit to Brits. And please, not excuses about the weakness of the voting system, etc.

- Doxa
[Edited by Doxa]

who fucking cares? does anyone think a Stones album would be in the top 10 or 20 anywhere else? I sure as hell dont.

The Stones havent made a 'classic' album in three decades. Which is before probably most of the people who were asked were even born.

These days, how the fuck is a 20 year old supposed to know about anything that happened more than five years ago?

The general public have little or no taste and prefer middle of the road pop acts for their listening pleasure. Take a look at the RIAA figures for album sales in the US and you'll see the high end of it dominated by crap like Garth Brooks, Celine Dion and Elton John. Pointless crying about the fact that 'rock' music isnt the most popular genre of music in the world. Its the same in your country too, I bet. I'm amazed that Robbie Williams didnt feature higher and if anything its more outrageous that Bob Dylan wasnt in the top 50 than the Stones.

And yeah, we hate the Stones as a nation. Thats why almost 200,000 of us bought the highest priced tickets in history to see them on their last tour. How many tickets do you think Duran Duran would sell?
[Edited by Gazza]
April 19th, 2005 09:17 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The general public have little or no taste and prefer middle of the road pop acts for their listening pleasure.

For sure. Just look at the calbir of the politicians that get elected every year.
April 19th, 2005 10:10 AM
Doxa
quote:
Gazza wrote:

who fucking cares? does anyone think a Stones album would be in the top 10 or 20 anywhere else? I sure as hell dont.

The Stones havent made a 'classic' album in three decades. Which is before probably most of the people who were asked were even born.

These days, how the fuck is a 20 year old supposed to know about anything that happened more than five years ago?

The general public have little or no taste and prefer middle of the road pop acts for their listening pleasure. Take a look at the RIAA figures for album sales in the US and you'll see the high end of it dominated by crap like Garth Brooks, Celine Dion and Elton John. Pointless crying about the fact that 'rock' music isnt the most popular genre of music in the world. Its the same in your country too, I bet. I'm amazed that Robbie Williams didnt feature higher and if anything its more outrageous that Bob Dylan wasnt in the top 50 than the Stones.

And yeah, we hate the Stones as a nation. Thats why almost 200,000 of us bought the highest priced tickets in history to see them on their last tour. How many tickets do you think Duran Duran would sell?
[Edited by Gazza]

I knew I will get a reaction from you Gazza Well, my intention wasn't really blaming Brits but more like wondering the situation. And yes, as you said, the very same phenomenon happens in the other countries as well, mine included.

For much to my own big disappointment I have wittnessed the true respect for the Stones, for their music and legacy, decreasing in those 24 years I've been following the band. I came along when they had a strong peak, world tour 1981/82, "Start Me Up", and I think they were at the time admired the coolest band in the world with almost mythical history. But it's been downhill ever since. Of course, there have been some peaks (the hype of come back of 1989/90) and so on, but I think their constant touring for some 15 years now, without any fresh musical contribution, had somehow juiced out the coolness, glamour and even magic the band used to have. To most people they are a just a constantly touring nostalgic band doing the same set of 30 year old hits every night. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are publicly seen more like comedians from the past, playing the same old roles for which they are about 30 years too old. I think that image of the band and that ridiculous attitude of "we don't stop until we drop, that is, until everything from our past is milked out" is destroying or at least shadowing their great musical past and heritage. People just seem to be tired of having them always around with nothing to say. And somehow I understand them.

And I am not comparing the Stones to the 'contemporary' pop or even rock scene (U2, Radiohead, Nirvana, The Smiths) but to the artists of their own 60/70's rock generation. Why is it that kids of today who are interested in good ol' rock music, seem to much more appreciate Jimi Hendrix, Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc. than the "greatest rock and roll band in the world". I suppose The Stones represent to the rock fans of today the same as Elvis ("King of Rock and Roll") to the rock fans back in 1976. Those who choose to die 'young' (that is, quit the whole thing when or before the creativity runs out) seem to do better in a long run.

Sorry my negative sounding reflection, but this underestimation and neglection of the Stones in poles like above someway makes me sad. And I seek for explanations.

Lastly, to give a token: in 2003, when I went to see the Stones in Glasgow (a great concert anyway!), one guy said, after having asked where do I go: "Isn't that interesting to go see the Stones when any given time any of them might die on the stage". I wasn't very amused.

- Doxa
[Edited by Doxa]
April 19th, 2005 10:16 AM
Gazza >Why is it that kids of today who are interested in good ol' rock music, seem to much more appreciate Jimi Hendrix, Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc. than the "greatest rock and roll band in the world". I suppose The Stones represent to the rock fans of today the same as Elvis ("King of Rock and Roll") to the rock fans back in 1976. Those who choose to die 'young' (that is, quit the whole thing when or before the creativity runs out) seem to do better in a long run.

thats the answer in a nutshell. And it's the same in other forms of entertainment too, such as the movie industry. Dying or quitting young makes you an 'icon'.

April 19th, 2005 10:19 AM
Joey " 6. OASIS - Definitely Maybe "

< ---------- {{{{ ***** WTF ?!?! ***** }}}}}
April 19th, 2005 10:37 AM
Gazza great album. any rock n roll fan who doesnt agree is tone-deaf, me boy
[Edited by Gazza]
April 19th, 2005 11:11 AM
Zeeta YEah there's a load of shite in this poll but to be honest I've seen worse!

Agree 100% with you Gazza some quality posts...
April 19th, 2005 11:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
I own 57 of those albums (the good ones, mostly).

oddly enough. So do I. LOL.
April 19th, 2005 11:58 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
6. OASIS - Definitely Maybe
15. OASIS - (What's the Story) Morning Glory

Oasis has two albums into TOP 15? WTF?
April 19th, 2005 12:32 PM
Bloozehound 1. RADIOHEAD - OK Computer

I've never understood the big fascination with this group
April 19th, 2005 09:05 PM
Soldatti The average of voters are people between 18-30 years old.
April 19th, 2005 11:44 PM
Madafaka Ok, I understand a little more now.
April 20th, 2005 12:37 AM
MrPleasant "Most people wouldn't know good music if it bit them
on the ass." - F. Zappa.
April 20th, 2005 07:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
"Most people wouldn't know good music if it bit them
on the ass." - F. Zappa.

Great quote.
April 21st, 2005 12:42 PM
goatshead A one hit wonder band like Dexy's Midnight Runners made the list and Sticky Fingers didn't. That should tell us enough for what to make of this list.
April 21st, 2005 01:17 PM
Factory Girl No Stooges or Iggy-grave error.

I was happy to see the Libertines, but was surprised that the 2nd cd was chosen over the slightly superior "Up the Bracket."
April 21st, 2005 02:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
No Stooges or Iggy-grave error.

Not really IMO.

1) Most people dont know Iggy or the Stooges
2) even for Iggy fans, to call any of his albums "the greatest record of all time" would be stretching it a bit.
At his best he's magnificent, but his work is pretty uneven.

You're asking people to pick ONE favourite album, remember. When thats the criteria, then the final results are going to be somewhat middle of the road by comparison.
[Edited by Gazza]
April 21st, 2005 02:55 PM
Gazza
quote:
goatshead wrote:
A one hit wonder band like Dexy's Midnight Runners made the list and Sticky Fingers didn't. That should tell us enough for what to make of this list.

more or less a case of repeating what I said above. If youre asking people to pick ONE album, then its going to penalise acts who have made SEVERAL great records because their fans have more to choose from

If you'd asked 100 people from this site to vote for their favourite record, I guarantee you you still wouldnt get a Stones album in the top ten, because so many different people have different favourites. It splits the vote, if you like.

Thats why you get a relatively lower showing for the 'best' album from the Stones, Dylan, Bowie and even the Beatles that what would have been expected.

Nirvana, Oasis and Radiohead have only each made a couple of albums that would be broadly seen as theur best work. So their fans have less to choose from.

These lists are always pointless and the way the questions are loaded are going to produce bizarre results. It always amazes me how people take them so seriously or as some kind of personal affront to their own taste.

April 21st, 2005 03:01 PM
Jumping Jack Where's Who's Next?

No Clapton on the list?

SAD, SAD, SAD!!!
April 21st, 2005 03:10 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Where's Who's Next?

No Clapton on the list?

SAD, SAD, SAD!!!

MESSAGE FROM JB:

"On the top 100 Uk, tell Gazza I said, as usual, the British detest the Stones-shameful!"
April 21st, 2005 05:53 PM
Gazza MESSAGE FROM GAZZA:

FUCK ALL LURKERS
April 21st, 2005 05:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Where's Who's Next?

No Clapton on the list?

SAD, SAD, SAD!!!

Which Clapton album would YOU describe as "the greatest album of all time" then?
April 21st, 2005 09:40 PM
Soldatti The power of this lists in incredible. It seems that OK Computer will enter again in the British chart, straight at Top 20 while many others titles from the list are expected on the Top 75.
April 21st, 2005 10:45 PM
Egbert Dido - WTF?
April 22nd, 2005 05:50 AM
Jumping Jack Gazza,

Hard to pick just one, so I'll go with The Cream of EC:
1 I Feel Free - (with Cream)
2 Sunshine Of Your Love - (with Cream)
3 White Room - (with Cream)
4 Crossroads - (with Cream)
5 Badge - (with Cream)
6 Presence Of The Lord - (with Blind Faith)
7 Blues Power
8 After Midnight
9 Let It Rain
10 Bell Bottom Blues - (with Derek & The Dominos)
11 Layla - (with Derek & The Dominos)
12 I Shot The Sheriff
13 Let It Grow
14 Knockin' On Heaven's Door
15 Hello Old Friend
16 Cocaine
17 Wonderful Tonight
18 Promises
19 I Can't Stand It
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour