ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: where's Hang Fire? Return to archive
25th April 2006 07:03 PM
Saint Sway They rehearsed the shit out of this dandy in Toronto.... yet it still hasnt made its debut on the tour.....
25th April 2006 07:11 PM
Gazza Doubt they'll play it

Mick's probably too afraid to try it as he most likely thinks its an obscure song and no one would know it - after all, it was only the 3rd single from an album that sold about 8 millon copies
25th April 2006 07:13 PM
Saint Sway you're right. But it would be fitting if they played it in London.
25th April 2006 07:15 PM
Gazza are you trying to suggest that we're all lazy bastards over here and nothing works or ever gets done??

I strongly resent....oh wait, you're fucking right

Do carry on.
25th April 2006 08:58 PM
Spru I agree with Saint Sway. I was thinking this same question to myself the other day. The Rolling Stone mag article about them rehearsing before the tour begins with how they were rehearsing this song, emphasizing that it hadn't been played live since '82. Hopefully it doesn't remain that way.
[Edited by Spru]
26th April 2006 01:16 AM
pdog It will substitute for She's So Cold, if the haven't forgotten about it, or decide to play it safe.
26th April 2006 03:28 AM
ListenToTheLion Hope they don't play it at all. The worst song of Tattoo You.
My suggestion: Slave.
[Edited by ListenToTheLion]
26th April 2006 03:57 AM
Zack No way is Hang Fire the worst song on TY. Both Heaven and NYIC are worse, although they both contribute to side two being among the best 20 minutes of music to shag to in history.

I agree Slave would be better. HF sounded too much like Whip on stage back in 81-82.
26th April 2006 07:32 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Doubt they'll play it

Mick's probably too afraid to try it as he most likely thinks its an obscure song and no one would know it - after all, it was only the 3rd single from an album that sold about 8 millon copies

Remind me again how many Top 40 singles were left off "40 Licks"?
26th April 2006 07:43 AM
corgi37 Eh, its just a song. Good replacement for YGMR.

Fucking anything is!

26th April 2006 09:13 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Think you missed my sarcasm

A few actually. I can even think of a classic number one that was omitted - probably because they didnt write it and it would have deprived the poor dears from some songwriting royalties
26th April 2006 09:28 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Think you missed my sarcasm

A few actually. I can even think of a classic number one that was omitted - probably because they didnt write it and it would have deprived the poor dears from some songwriting royalties

I got the sarcasm - and was trying to add to it

I was just pointing out that, why should we be surprised that they'd ignore a relative hit like "Hang Fire" when they omitted quite a few from their "definitive" anthology?
26th April 2006 09:44 AM
Reptile Hang Fire is a better song then She's So Cold. So it would definetly be an improvement. They need to relax with She's So Cold.. it's such a laid back song on the album. They play it so fucking agressive on stage.. it's too loud.
26th April 2006 09:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I got the sarcasm - and was trying to add to it

I was just pointing out that, why should we be surprised that they'd ignore a relative hit like "Hang Fire" when they omitted quite a few from their "definitive" anthology?

Ah. Indeed. Sorry I missed the point...LOL
26th April 2006 10:42 AM
gimmekeef Slave would we a good choice to add...and another obscure gem I like.."Send Her To Me".....
26th April 2006 07:16 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

About 25-30 singles, including #1 singles (Little Red Rooster) and many top 10's (Time Is on My Side, As Tears Go By, We Love You, Harlem Shuffle).
26th April 2006 07:31 PM
speedfreakjive Hang Fire? would be welcome, but i can think of at least ten other songs i would rather hear, including She's So Cold
26th April 2006 07:36 PM
Soldatti
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Hang Fire? would be welcome, but i can think of at least ten other songs i would rather hear, including She's So Cold

At least they played SSC many times this tour. I think that Hang Fire is not easy to do, they got troubles rehearsing it if you see the Rolling Stone interview from last year.
26th April 2006 07:46 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

At least they played SSC many times this tour. I think that Hang Fire is not easy to do, they got troubles rehearsing it if you see the Rolling Stone interview from last year.

yes, its got an odd chord structure, but no harder than say Heartbreaker IMO, which wasn't particulary 'butchered' on Licks, again IMHO
26th April 2006 08:08 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

About 25-30 singles, including #1 singles (Little Red Rooster) and many top 10's (Time Is on My Side, As Tears Go By, We Love You, Harlem Shuffle).

They left *off* 25-30 Top 40 singles? That's pretty damn astonishing when you think about it. I guess it makes sense when you consider all the 90s stuff and the four new ones didn't make Top 40 at all...
26th April 2006 11:53 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

They left *off* 25-30 Top 40 singles? That's pretty damn astonishing when you think about it. I guess it makes sense when you consider all the 90s stuff and the four new ones didn't make Top 40 at all...

Don't Stop made the top 40 in UK (#36) in December 2002.

Here a list of top 40 hits, not included on 40 licks:
1. Come On (UK #21)
2. I Wanna Be Your Man (UK #12)
3. Tell Me (US #24)
4. Time Is On My Side (US #6)
5. Little Red Rooster (UK #1)
6. Heart Of Stone (US #19)
7. As Tears Go By (US #6)
8. Lady Jane (US #24)
9. We love You (UK #8)
10. Dandelion (US #14)
11. She's a Rainbow (US #25)
12. Heartbreaker (US #15)
13. Ain't Too Proud To Beg (US #17)
14. Respectable (UK #23)
15. She's So Cold (UK #33/US #26)
16. Waiting On A Friend (US #13)
17. Hang Fire (US #20)
18. Going To A Go-Go (UK #26/US #25)
19. Harlem Shuffle (UK #13/US #5)
20. One Hit (US #28)
21. Rock and a Hard Place (US #23)
22. Almost Hear You Sigh (UK #31)
23. Highwire (UK #29)
24. Out Of Tears (UK #36)
25. I Go Wild (UK #29)
26. LARS (UK #12)
27. Saint Of Me (UK #26)

[Edited by Soldatti]
27th April 2006 01:13 AM
mmdog
She's So Cold has been fucking great on this tour. I would love to hear some other chestnuts from that era, including Hang Fire.
27th April 2006 04:50 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Don't Stop made the top 40 in UK (#36) in December 2002.

Here a list of top 40 hits, not included on 40 licks:
1. Come On (UK #21)
2. I Wanna Be Your Man (UK #12)
3. Tell Me (US #24)
4. Time Is On My Side (US #6)
5. Little Red Rooster (UK #1)
6. Heart Of Stone (US #19)
7. As Tears Go By (US #6)
8. Lady Jane (US #24)
9. We love You (UK #8)
10. Dandelion (US #14)
11. She's a Rainbow (US #25)
12. Heartbreaker (US #15)
13. Ain't Too Proud To Beg (US #17)
14. Respectable (UK #23)
15. She's So Cold (UK #33/US #26)
16. Waiting On A Friend (US #13)
17. Hang Fire (US #20)
18. Going To A Go-Go (UK #26/US #25)
19. Harlem Shuffle (UK #13/US #5)
20. One Hit (US #28)
21. Rock and a Hard Place (US #23)
22. Almost Hear You Sigh (UK #31)
23. Highwire (UK #29)
24. Out Of Tears (UK #36)
25. I Go Wild (UK #29)
26. LARS (UK #12)
27. Saint Of Me (UK #26)

Dont let Jagger and Cohl see that or we'll get "40 Licks Part 2" next!
27th April 2006 04:55 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
mmdog wrote:

She's So Cold has been fucking great on this tour. I would love to hear some other chestnuts from that era, including Hang Fire.

Good point.
"Let me go",from their best record , needs another chance!
27th April 2006 04:59 AM
Angiegirl Let me go? Nah, they could never handle the tempo...
27th April 2006 05:01 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Let me go? Nah, they could never handle the tempo...

Sad but true my tall princess!
27th April 2006 05:07 AM
Gazza if they played it like the original they might

The 1981-82 version was just a noisy thrash. as was Shes so Cold, which is much better THIS tour
27th April 2006 05:49 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The 1981-82 version was just a noisy thrash. as was Shes so Cold, which is much better THIS tour

Im ashamed to say I really LOVE the way they used to play these songs in 81/82.
god bless cocaine!!
27th April 2006 06:17 AM
Mathijs If you want to hear Hang Fire live check out one of the 30 soundboards we have of the 1981 tour. The Stones will never ever sound again like this. And frankly, as fine as it is to hope on some forgotten songs, the way the Stones play this tour it all is one big dissapointment. We've been waiting for Sway since 1971, and every version on this tour just sounds plain horrible. I would even go as far as to say: stick to the warhorses, and don't spoil the brilliance of many original versions. The Stones have become a Vegas band, enjoy the as they are, but I am not hoping on any old forgotten songs. Please leave these songs alone.

Mathijs
27th April 2006 06:21 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
If you want to hear Hang Fire live check out one of the 30 soundboards we have of the 1981 tour. The Stones will never ever sound again like this. And frankly, as fine as it is to hope on some forgotten songs, the way the Stones play this tour it all is one big dissapointment. We've been waiting for Sway since 1971, and every version on this tour just sounds plain horrible. I would even go as far as to say: stick to the warhorses, and don't spoil the brilliance of many original versions. The Stones have become a Vegas band, enjoy the as they are, but I am not hoping on any old forgotten songs. Please leave these songs alone.

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs!!
nice to read you again
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)