ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Nicky Hopkins' "Edward": Three versions Return to archive
24th April 2006 05:25 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Recently I posted this on the SW5 list and also at BdP ( http://rocksoff.org/foro ).

Because of the nice comments in the last one, I felt compelled to share it with you and post it here too.

When Nicky moved to California in 1968 to join Quicksilver Messenger Service as a member, he composed a song “Edward, the Mad Shirt Grinder”; Edward was Nicky’s nickname known mainly by the Stones members as Brian gave this one to Nicky during studio sessions at Olympic Studios. The song was later released in the album “Shady Grove” in 1969.

This was a real masterpiece since the beginning; the original version was longer than 9 minutes. Later in 1973 Nicky made a different, shorter version and even shorter in name as now the song was entitled “Edward” only, and it was released in his second album “The Tin Man Was a Dreamer”

Then two years before Nicky passed away, he made some gigs with Mick Taylor and Bobby Keys in Florida, early 1992. “Edward was included in the sets with great arrangements by Mick and Bobby.

So here you have the three versions for your delight, download and play them loud. Three different guitar players and styles on each: John Cipollina, George Harrison and Mick Taylor.

1.- “Edward, the Mad Shirt Grinder” performed by Quicksilver Messenger Service, from the album “Shady Grove” released in 1969.

Line up:

• Nicky Hopkins - Keyboards
  • John Cipollina - Guitar
  • Gary Duncan - Bass
  • Greg Elmore - Drums
  • David Freiberg - Viola, Guitar

2.- “Edward” by Nicky Hopkins, from the album “The Tin Man Was A Dreamer” released in 1973.

Line up:

• Nicky Hopkins - Keyboards
  • George Harrison - Guitar
  • Bobby Keys - Sax
  • Klaus Voormann - Bass
  • Prairie Prince - Drums
  • Ray Cooper - Percussions, Congas

3.- “Edward” by “Tumbling Dice”, unreleased, recorded live at Charcoals in Kendall, Florida on April 29, 1992.

Line up:

• Nicky Hopkins – Keyboards
  • Mick Taylor – Guitar
  • Bobby Keys – Sax
  • Fussy Samuels – Bass
  • Unidentified John - Drums

To download click HERE
24th April 2006 07:36 PM
mac_daddy edward is also the tune that he played each night with the jerry band, when he was with them during the second half of 1975. anyway, each one of those readings is a bit different, too.
24th April 2006 09:09 PM
gotdablouse Thanks.
Looking forward to lisetening in. I remember being rather disappointed when I listened to the CD "Tin Man was a Dreamer", Nicky had a way with they keys, but not really with songwrighting IMHO. Like Mick Taylor, his ideas were put into shape by Mick it seems, "Time waits for no one" being a good example I think of Mick bringing out the best in these two ace musicians.
24th April 2006 09:30 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
edward is also the tune that he played each night with the jerry band, when he was with them during the second half of 1975. anyway, each one of those readings is a bit different, too.

I think it was "Refugee Blues" also composed by Nicky Hopkins

This is the studio version: http://rocksoff.org/nicky-hopkins-refugeeblues-complete.mp3
24th April 2006 09:54 PM
mac_daddy pig's boogie and lady sleeps are the others that i see in the set lists alot. he was with jerry from august 5 to nye. the full lineup was...

Jerry Garcia Band (8-5-1975 to 12-31-1975)

* Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals
* John Kahn - bass
* Nicky Hopkins - keyboards, vocals
* Ron Tutt - drums

in case any of the couchies are reading this, this is the same ron tut that played with elvis (it is elvis week @ the couch)... you can check the known setlists here...

i seeded all of those jgb w/ nicky gigs via bit torrent several years ago...
25th April 2006 05:02 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
pig's boogie and lady sleeps are the others that i see in the set lists alot. he was with jerry from august 5 to nye. the full lineup was...

Jerry Garcia Band (8-5-1975 to 12-31-1975)

* Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals
* John Kahn - bass
* Nicky Hopkins - keyboards, vocals
* Ron Tutt - drums

Here's Nicky's "Pig's Boogie" and also the New Year's Countdown by Nicky

http://download.yousendit.com/FAE280816864C789
25th April 2006 05:04 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
i seeded all of those jgb w/ nicky gigs via bit torrent several years ago...

Wow, so thank you daddy, it was my source for the NYE 1975 recording, so the source for the "Pig's Boogie" file I uploaded (here as MP3)
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)