ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Strings attached Return to archive
23rd April 2006 04:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Sun, April 23, 2006

Strings attached
Think of the electric guitar as the Wright Brothers of music -- without it, rock would never have gotten off the ground

By JOHN KRYK
Toronto Sun

THE COOLEST INSTRUMENT

Pete Townshend used to regularly smash all his to bits.

Keith Richards once swung one at the head of a fan who rushed him on stage. And he likes to jam a lit cigarette into the ends of his.

Stevie Ray Vaughan abused his "Number One" so badly once at a Toronto club he stood on it, as if to surf it.

And Jimi Hendrix famously set one of his on fire during the Monterey Pop Festival.

And they say nothing is as precious to a rock guitar hero as his sacred "axe."

But it's true. "My guitars are my umbilical chord," Metallica's Kirk Hammett once said. "They're directly wired into my head."

How valuable has the electric guitar been to rock 'n' roll? Without it, rock might never have begun rolling in the first place. We might still all be swinging to the latest Tommy Dorsey-knockoff big band, or hot-diggity-dogging it to some aw-shucks neo-Como ditty.

Maybe rock music is rock music because of the electric guitar.

Over the past 50 years, if you're a teenager and you want to start a rock band, what do you have to have? Right: One electric-guitar player.

And who always winds up the coolest guy in the band? The guitarist, of course.

Who knew popular music would take such a dramatic left turn soon after the invention of electrified, solid-body guitars in the early 1950s? The instrument's urgent new sound -- hard, crisp and loud -- was unlike anything anyone had ever heard. Its sound was not only 'futuristic,' it was dangerous. The music played on an electric guitar just had to follow suit.

It did. The electric guitar's musical possibilities were quickly explored by the late '60s --a remarkably short period of time.

In 1955 Chuck Berry popularized the 'barre-chord' style of rock/blues playing, which later begat the Brit Invasion power-chord songs of the mid-'60s.

Those songs, in turn, gave way to the man who really turned up the volume knob, who dreamed up guitar solos that no one before --or since --has quite matched: Jimi Hendrix.

He effectively removed the "and roll" from rock. Credit him with adding the "hard" too.

Hendrix was the ultimate guitar hero.

"Sometimes you want to give up guitar, you'll hate the guitar," Jimi once said. "But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."

As long as you don't burn it or smash it.

---

PROFILES OF THE 'FOUR-MOST' ELECTRIC GUITARS

FENDER TELECASTER TELY

The original. Was the first mass-produced solid-body electric guitar, starting in 1950. Originally had only one single-coil pickup before adding a second. Has Fender's trademark angled headstock with the string tuners all in a row, rather than the traditional three-per-side look.

SOUND: "Bright, metallic cutting tone and a plangent, twangy string sound," according to Eyewitness Companions Guitar book.

QUOTE: "Obviously the Fender Telecaster is a favourite, but I love Gibsons too ... They are all great, particular sounds for particular songs." -- Keith Richards

FAMOUS PLAYERS: Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, Muddy Waters, Chrissie Hynde, Andy Summers, Albert Lee

FENDER STRATOCASTER STRAT

The most famous electric guitar in the world. Introduced in 1954. Has three single-coil pick-ups. The built-in tremolo bar is ideal for soloists wanting to bend or vibrate notes.

SOUND: "Bright tone, ringing sustain, lively string sound, tremendous clarity," according to Eyewitness Companions Guitar book. Introduction in 1959 of a dark rosewood fingerboard, as opposed to the original light maple fingerboard, provided a warmer, smoother sound.

QUOTE: "All the Strats have personalities of their own and feel completely different." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

FAMOUS PLAYERS: Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton ('70s-'90s), David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore, Mark Knopfler, Eddie Van Halen, Chuck Berry

GIBSON LES PAUL

The classic. Debuted in 1952. A much heavier, more carefully constructed and more expensive instrument than the Fenders. Amazingly, went out of vogue by the end of the '50s, but Eric Clapton and then Keith Richards revived interest in Les Pauls when they were reintroduced by Gibson in 1968.

SOUND: "Has tremendous sustain and a distinctive smooth tone (owing largely to the heavy mahogany and maple woods used), with high output from the pickups that makes it ideal for overdriven and distorted guitar solos and riffs," according to Eyewitness Companions Guitar book.

QUOTE: "I wanted something very dense, something that would sustain long and more pieces of wood that would be soft, sweet, for more of a mellow sound." -- Les Paul

FAMOUS PLAYERS: Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton (late '60s), Ace Frehley, Duane Allman, Joe Walsh, Joe Perry, Slash

GIBSON SG

Debuted in 1961, a year after Gibson discontinued (for eight years) the Les Paul line. Its incurved "horns" allowed a soloist greater access to the upper-fret notes. Had a tremolo bar to match Fender's Strat, something the Les Pauls didn't have.

SOUND: "Lively yet balanced tonal response, and is ideal as a stage instrument," according to Eyewitness Companions Guitar book.

SOUND: "I'd always wanted an SG. I think the cutaway horns reminded me a bit of myself." -- Angus Young

FAMOUS PLAYERS: Angus Young, Pete Townshend, Tony Iommi, Jerry Garcia, Gary Rossington, Frank Zappa

23rd April 2006 06:36 PM
Dead_Flowers
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Sun, April 23, 2006

Strings attached
Think of the electric guitar as the Wright Brothers of music -- without it, rock would never have gotten off the ground

By JOHN KRYK
Toronto Sun

THE COOLEST INSTRUMENT

Pete Townshend used to regularly smash all his to bits.

Keith Richards once swung one at the head of a fan who rushed him on stage. And he likes to jam a lit cigarette into the ends of his.

Stevie Ray Vaughan abused his "Number One" so badly once at a Toronto club he stood on it, as if to surf it.

And Jimi Hendrix famously set one of his on fire during the Monterey Pop Festival.

And they say nothing is as precious to a rock guitar hero as his sacred "axe."

But it's true. "My guitars are my umbilical chord," Metallica's Kirk Hammett once said. "They're directly wired into my head."

How valuable has the electric guitar been to rock 'n' roll? Without it, rock might never have begun rolling in the first place. We might still all be swinging to the latest Tommy Dorsey-knockoff big band, or hot-diggity-dogging it to some aw-shucks neo-Como ditty.

Maybe rock music is rock music because of the electric guitar.

Over the past 50 years, if you're a teenager and you want to start a rock band, what do you have to have? Right: One electric-guitar player.

And who always winds up the coolest guy in the band? The guitarist, of course.

Who knew popular music would take such a dramatic left turn soon after the invention of electrified, solid-body guitars in the early 1950s? The instrument's urgent new sound -- hard, crisp and loud -- was unlike anything anyone had ever heard. Its sound was not only 'futuristic,' it was dangerous. The music played on an electric guitar just had to follow suit.

It did. The electric guitar's musical possibilities were quickly explored by the late '60s --a remarkably short period of time.

In 1955 Chuck Berry popularized the 'barre-chord' style of rock/blues playing, which later begat the Brit Invasion power-chord songs of the mid-'60s.

Those songs, in turn, gave way to the man who really turned up the volume knob, who dreamed up guitar solos that no one before --or since --has quite matched: Jimi Hendrix.

He effectively removed the "and roll" from rock. Credit him with adding the "hard" too.

Hendrix was the ultimate guitar hero.

"Sometimes you want to give up guitar, you'll hate the guitar," Jimi once said. "But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."

As long as you don't burn it or smash it.

---

PROFILES OF THE 'FOUR-MOST' ELECTRIC GUITARS

FENDER TELECASTER TELY

The original. Was the first mass-produced solid-body electric guitar, starting in 1950. Originally had only one single-coil pickup before adding a second. Has Fender's trademark angled headstock with the string tuners all in a row, rather than the traditional three-per-side look.

SOUND: "Bright, metallic cutting tone and a plangent, twangy string sound," according to Eyewitness Companions Guitar book.

QUOTE: "Obviously the Fender Telecaster is a favourite, but I love Gibsons too ... They are all great, particular sounds for particular songs." -- Keith Richards

FAMOUS PLAYERS: Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, Muddy Waters, Chrissie Hynde, Andy Summers, Albert Lee

FENDER STRATOCASTER STRAT

The most famous electric guitar in the world. Introduced in 1954. Has three single-coil pick-ups. The built-in tremolo bar is ideal for soloists wanting to bend or vibrate notes.

SOUND: "Bright tone, ringing sustain, lively string sound, tremendous clarity," according to Eyewitness Companions Guitar book. Introduction in 1959 of a dark rosewood fingerboard, as opposed to the original light maple fingerboard, provided a warmer, smoother sound.

QUOTE: "All the Strats have personalities of their own and feel completely different." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

FAMOUS PLAYERS: Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton ('70s-'90s), David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore, Mark Knopfler, Eddie Van Halen, Chuck Berry

GIBSON LES PAUL

The classic. Debuted in 1952. A much heavier, more carefully constructed and more expensive instrument than the Fenders. Amazingly, went out of vogue by the end of the '50s, but Eric Clapton and then Keith Richards revived interest in Les Pauls when they were reintroduced by Gibson in 1968.

SOUND: "Has tremendous sustain and a distinctive smooth tone (owing largely to the heavy mahogany and maple woods used), with high output from the pickups that makes it ideal for overdriven and distorted guitar solos and riffs," according to Eyewitness Companions Guitar book.

QUOTE: "I wanted something very dense, something that would sustain long and more pieces of wood that would be soft, sweet, for more of a mellow sound." -- Les Paul

FAMOUS PLAYERS: Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton (late '60s), Ace Frehley, Duane Allman, Joe Walsh, Joe Perry, Slash

GIBSON SG

Debuted in 1961, a year after Gibson discontinued (for eight years) the Les Paul line. Its incurved "horns" allowed a soloist greater access to the upper-fret notes. Had a tremolo bar to match Fender's Strat, something the Les Pauls didn't have.

SOUND: "Lively yet balanced tonal response, and is ideal as a stage instrument," according to Eyewitness Companions Guitar book.

SOUND: "I'd always wanted an SG. I think the cutaway horns reminded me a bit of myself." -- Angus Young

FAMOUS PLAYERS: Angus Young, Pete Townshend, Tony Iommi, Jerry Garcia, Gary Rossington, Frank Zappa

I wish I could play the guitar. I can play the violin, I'm part nerd I guess. I always thought it would be neat to date a guy that plays the drums sice they would have a good since of rhythm
24th April 2006 12:55 AM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Dead_Flowers wrote:

I wish I could play the guitar. I can play the violin, I'm part nerd I guess. I always thought it would be neat to date a guy that plays the drums sice they would have a good since of rhythm

so what r u doing next weekend?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)