ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Queen turns 80 years old! (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
21st April 2006 07:23 AM
ketvos The ol' lady herself The Queenie in England turns 80 today. !!!!!!

From CNN.com

Birthday walkabout for queen at 80

Friday, April 21, 2006; Posted: 7:20 a.m. EDT (11:20 GMT)

WINDSOR, England (CNN) -- To the tune of a brass band playing "Happy Birthday," Queen Elizabeth II joined throngs of loyal subjects at Britain's Windsor Castle to celebrate as she turns 80.

Dressed in a red outfit and matching hat, the queen embarked on a public walkabout at the castle, west of London, Friday, accepting flowers and best wishes from thousands of flag-waving supporters lining the streets.

As a giant royal standard flew over the castle, the queen embarked on an extended walkabout -- a tradition she first adopted in a tour of Australia and New Zealand in 1970 -- to accommodate the more than 15,000 people who turned out to meet her.

The swell of support for the monarch -- 10 years away from rivaling Queen Victoria's record 64-years on the throne -- is likely to improve the profile of the British royal family at a time when its relevance is frequently called into question.

In an interview ahead of her birthday, a close friend of the queen, whose duties are largely ceremonial, said she has ruled out the prospect of abdication,. and despite her age, she has showed no signs of slowing down.

"We'll be wishing her a very happy birthday," one well-wisher at Windsor told CNN.

"I'm a very loyal subject, I have followed the queen since I was seven years old and that's our way of saying thank you."

Some 20,000 birthday cards and 17,000 emails have been sent from around the world to commemorate the event. Photographs taken as she opens her mail show her smiling with delight.

In a personal message, the queen said: "I would like to thank the many thousands of people from this country and overseas who have sent me cards and messages on my 80th birthday.

"I have been touched by what you have written and would like to express my gratitude to you all for making this day such a special one," she said, according to Britain's Press Association.

CNN Correspondent Paula Newton, in Windsor, said Friday's turnout reflected recent surveys confirming the queen's popularity in spite of recent troubles that have beset the British royals.

"At this point almost 70 percent of Britain says they are in favor of the monarchy," she said.

"They like the fact they have a head of state that is above politicians."

The queen's popularity was dented following the 1997 car crash death of Princess Diana, the estranged wife of Prince Charles, when she was seen as being distant in the face of widespread public grief.

That followed her so-called "annus horribilis" in 1992, when Windsor Castle was ravage by fire and the marriages of three of her four children broke up.

"I doubt whether any of us would say that the last 80 years has been plain sailing," the queen said in an address on the even of her birthday.

"But we can give thanks for our health and happiness, the support we receive from our families and friends, some wonderful memories, and the excitement that each new day brings."
Job for life

According to Countess Mountbatten, a close friend of the queen, the monarch was determined to see her position as monarch through the end, even as her eldest son waits in the wings.

"She regards the job as a job for life," she said in a BBC interview.

Queen Elizabeth was born in London April 21, 1926, and was crowned queen June 2, 1953, after the death of her father, King George VI..

She was proclaimed queen in February 1952 at age 25 after the death of her father, King George VI, and was crowned the following year.

Married with four children -- Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward -- she juggled motherhood and her job as head of state, the armed forces, the Commonwealth and the Church of England.

Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher professed admiration for the queen in an interview.

"The queen takes a tremendous interest in every aspect of life in our country. And she brings to bear a formidable grasp of current issues and a tremendous breath of experience," Thatcher said.

"Her guidance and advice are always most acute, and as prime minister I was privileged to benefit from both enormously. She is truly an inspiration and an example to the whole nation. Long may she rule. Happy birthday, ma'am."
Link http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/04/21/queen.anniversary/index.html

21st April 2006 07:31 AM
Angiegirl Yeah, I just hope our queen Beatrix will step down before she's 80...
21st April 2006 07:33 AM
lotsajizz I would hope ALL kings and queens would step aside...the very idea of monarchy is so anti-human

21st April 2006 07:50 AM
Ten Thousand Motels

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
21st April 2006 08:15 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I would hope ALL kings and queens would step aside...the very idea of monarchy is so anti-human

the King Juan Carlos is far more human than many presidents in the world.
yours and mine for example.
21st April 2006 08:31 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

..add "President" Blair to that list too!
21st April 2006 08:35 AM
speedfreakjive sorry, but this thread needs to be renamed 'the most un rock 'n' roll thread ever' , or (NRNRC), or
'Royalty / Figurehead Appreciation Thread!
21st April 2006 09:01 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
..add "President" Blair to that list too!

21st April 2006 09:28 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

I did not say they were all bad people...you cited a good man. It's the institution that stinks....
21st April 2006 10:05 AM
gimmekeef Gee 80 years of tax supported luxury with absolutely no worthwhile accomplishments to show for it.Nice gig if you can get it...
21st April 2006 12:37 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I did not say they were all bad people...you cited a good man. It's the institution that stinks....

Word!
21st April 2006 01:47 PM
Stray Cat UK I may not be a monarchist,but the Queen has served her country for 54 years as the head of state of Britain and all of the commonwealth and is generally loved and respected by most of her "subjects". Charlie boy and the rest are another matter!

She has seen world leaders,good and bad, come and go and from that perspective is unique.

To our American friends who throw stones - the alternative is a president like Bush.

President Blair ,President Thatcher, President Duncan Smith ! (snigger) I DON'T FUCKING THINK SO !

I've just seen my wife on tv queuing for Bon Jovi tickets !
Oh the shame.How can I leave the house ever again.Maybe Bon Jovi's existence could be called into question instead ?

sc uk
[Edited by Stray Cat UK]
21st April 2006 02:02 PM
gimmekeef For the billions spent over those 54 years of her luxurious lifestyle one would hope she might have done more..Than shake a few fucking hands....
21st April 2006 02:11 PM
sirmoonie The only good thing the ridiculous woman ever did was knighting Sir Michael Phillip Jagger. Well that and the time in 1991 when she got all drunk at Scunthorpe Castle and bitchslapped Diana Quisling Spencer.

But other than those two things, she pretty much was lousy in the monarchalistical sense of the word.
21st April 2006 02:22 PM
Stray Cat UK Each to his own. I can't be fucking bothered to argue about this.

Let's not start another non stones endless thread ,like the Bush ratings one.
21st April 2006 02:48 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Each to his own. I can't be fucking bothered to argue about this.

Let's not start another non stones endless thread ,like the Bush ratings one.

Strayie, I disagree vehemenouistically. While the Queen and George Walker Bush III have led equally inane, pampered and ultimately sheltered lives, she is obviously the brighter of the two. I'd say its like 97 to 85 on the Quoshie. I don't see howe you can disagree with that.

In any case, I hereby formally denounce terrorism.
21st April 2006 03:00 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
!

I've just seen my wife on tv queuing for Bon Jovi tickets !
Oh the shame.How can I leave the house ever again.Maybe Bon Jovi's existence could be called into question instead ?

How humiliating!

21st April 2006 03:03 PM
3DTeafoe Happy Birthday Your Majesty.
21st April 2006 03:36 PM
luxury1 I had the most humorous drink with Bert RIchards, about 6 months prior to his demise. He told me the QUeen was "nuthin but a big boozer." Hoist one for Bert, Big Mum.
21st April 2006 05:20 PM
Stray Cat UK Sirmoonie,

I don't understand .I'm too thick for words like veh............WTF !

I am in no way comparing the Queen to George Bush or any politician . That's the point ,she's above all of that. A bargain for taxpayers IMHO.
Even she pays tax now,unlike certain pampered rock stars.
Her diary is gruelling for any 80 year old.

She certainly puts more than 1hr 55mins work in a day.

Bloody hell,I said I wouldn't do this !
I'M STOPPING NOW.
21st April 2006 06:08 PM
glencar
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
I had the most humorous drink with Bert RIchards, about 6 months prior to his demise. He told me the QUeen was "nuthin but a big boozer." Hoist one for Bert, Big Mum.

I've read that the late Queen Mother was a huge boozer. And the late Princess Margaret(a truly horrid specimen) was a drunk. It looks like the disease skipped the current generation.
21st April 2006 06:26 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
Sirmoonie,

I don't understand .I'm too thick for words like veh............WTF !

I am in no way comparing the Queen to George Bush or any politician . That's the point ,she's above all of that. A bargain for taxpayers IMHO.
Even she pays tax now,unlike certain pampered rock stars.
Her diary is gruelling for any 80 year old.

She certainly puts more than 1hr 55mins work in a day.

Bloody hell,I said I wouldn't do this !
I'M STOPPING NOW.

Dammit man! I will not debate you! You hear me? I will not debate you! That lecherous woman has been canning high balls ("hye balls") and harrassing chamber maids for decades now, and you just want to talk taxes! Her taxes, man? Taxes? Thats all you got is her taxes? Its pretermanical, if you ask me.
21st April 2006 06:38 PM
Stray Cat UK I'm not biting
21st April 2006 07:36 PM
pdog The Queen... LOL! Who cares about a tired old faux Monarchy anyway?
Did Elton John write a song for her?
Fart In The Wind would be a good title!
21st April 2006 10:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot The Queen of England...right?

Yeah, I'd do her...
21st April 2006 11:05 PM
pdog Better You than Me, said The King! Do Away!
We all now know how Stonesalot became a Sir...
21st April 2006 11:28 PM
Sir Stonesalot What can I say...when the Queen says to put your sword in her sheath...you do it! She's the friggin' Queen! You can't say NO to the Queen!
22nd April 2006 01:01 AM
pdog Dude! DUDE! DUDE !!! If I can say no to Paris Hilton, I can say NO to some old broad with fucked up teeth !!!
We need to talk... I'm getting you some strippers and hookers next summit!
22nd April 2006 07:03 AM
Hannalee I don't suppose it will make the slightest difference to the level of wilful ignorance round here, but she's Queen of fifteen countries, not just the UK, as well as head of the Commonwealth (53 countries)
22nd April 2006 09:42 AM
gimmekeef So Hannalee..tell us something shes accomplished while leading all these countries?..Just one f'inn thing will do...Shes had 53 years!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)