ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wellington Westpac Stadium,18th April 2006 - Setlist, Photos and Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th April 2006 04:56 AM
Jeep Long report from Scoop Independent News :

Rolling Stones Reviewed And Viewed
Wednesday, 19 April 2006, 10:14 am
Words Sean Gillespie

Coming up to the stadium, the usual tell-tale signs were there: overflowing rubbish bins, huge queues at the railway station, fast food stands and a busker playing Stones tunes.

The pilgrimage of darkly-clothed people descending on the Cake-tin was like something out of a 1960’s alien invasion movie.

The mammoth stage had what must be the largest section of front row seats a concert has ever seen. It stretched out to the stands on both sides and a large catwalk extended the stage to the centre of the stadium, hinting at excitement to come.

As the lights went down, the buzz in the audience started to build up and was further intensified by a deep vibe pulsing out of the speakers and the stage’s 30-foot screen. The fireworks shot into the air as the on-screen entertainment took us through space with an odd variety of props and landed us at the concert.

First on the stage was Keith – smooth and stylish. Then came Ronnie and Charlie. Mick was last out to thunderous applause and everyone knew it was time to rock.

An energetic Jumping Jack Flash was first up. Stuffing the mike in his black shiny pants, Mick got the crowd clapping their hands above their heads with him as he wooed the audience into submission.

Mick jokingly commented on their last appearance in Wellington 40 years ago, “I don’t even think I was alive in ’66.”

The next few numbers included the well-received new song “Oh no not you again”.

Mick lets us know he knows where he is, thanking the people from Christchurch, Hawke’s Bay and various other regions for coming. The crowd gave appreciative roars for each area until Mick said, “…and as even far away as Auckland”. Humorous boos took over

Half way into the set, Mick left the stage letting us focus more attention on Keith. Dressed in a green shirt with a purple jacket, Keith sung “This place is empty without you” with a haunting, bluesy voice. Though not as energetic as Mick, Keith certainly showed off a bit of style pleasing the audience.

After a couple of songs Mick returned to sing a catchy and thumping “Miss you”. Half way into the song a small section of the stage, including the band, lifted up and rolled down the catwalk giving the audience a thrill. On the way down the band were almost touching distance from the crowd. Keith strummed hard, looked in my direction, threw his guitar pick down and smiled. The pick has the Rolling Stones tongue pictured on one side and Wellington with the date on the other.

The stage and band landed in the middle of the stadium and belted out “Rough justice” before launching into a stomping “Start me up”. Hands were clapping right up to the highest seats in the stands. The audience loved it.

The moving mini-stage started returning during the banned-in-China “Honky tonk woman”. As the stage rolled past you could almost smell the band.

“Sympathy for the devil” and “Paint it black” both kept the audience whistling, clapping, smiling and screaming.

After playing a sexy “Brown sugar”, the band left the stage to thunderous applause. The crowd knew it wasn’t over. There was still at least one song that had to be played.

Keith came out first, re-holding the lime light for a moment before Mick, Ronnie and Charlie came out to launch into “You can’t always get what you want”.

We were seduced by a pro who had been doing it for years.

Unlike Auckland’s set, the last number of the night was the eagerly anticipated “Satisfaction”. Still full of energy, Mick strutted and danced from one side of the stage to the other pushing himself right to the edges and getting the crowd to sing along, “Sat-is-fact-i-on”, again and again.

And it was – Satisfaction
19th April 2006 05:02 AM
Jeep (Wonderful) images Scoop / Karim Sahai :

[Edited by Jeep]
19th April 2006 06:55 AM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks for the great photos, Jeep!!
19th April 2006 07:10 AM
Irina Yes, the photos are really great.
Thanks, Jeep!
19th April 2006 07:35 AM
Gazza Most impressive indeed. I liked the last two especially.
19th April 2006 07:54 AM
corgi37 Brilliant pics. And thus, they are out of oour hemisphere. Spent all of 1 week here. Very nice of them to come at all.

I have nothing left to live for now.
19th April 2006 09:07 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Brilliant pics. And thus, they are out of oour hemisphere. Spent all of 1 week here. Very nice of them to come at all.

I have nothing left to live for now.

Save up a little and you can catch an autumn show with us here.
19th April 2006 09:29 AM
GotToRollMe Awesome photos, Jeep!
19th April 2006 09:58 AM
DizzyDutchman Great BIG Pics!!! without those trademarks in it, l9ike getty images.

getty images also has a lot of great Pics of yesterday's show, with nice pics f mick where he is Laughing!
i'm glad to see mick laughing again

NEXT Stop: Barcelona! The First Show of the Greatest part of the Tour: EUROPE!!! and ofcourse: HOLLAND !!!

Michael
19th April 2006 10:39 AM
Saint Sway Jeep,
those are amazing close ups. Excellent shots!! Best of the tour!

thanks for sharing,

Sway
19th April 2006 02:25 PM
Lucy_Bandersnatch Sad, sad, sad...come on summer... Great photos!

Just a couple of observations because I used to do a lot of trading and follow other RnR bands:

Although the Stones have an amazing catalogue to choose from, they can't just switch up the set list unless they incorporate each song's timing to be in sync with the lighting and who knows what else. The work that goes into producing a show this large and complicated is more than just picking songs out of a hat. Go look at the sound board area next show- everything is preprogrammed and computer generated.

Also, the majority of fans only go to one show and they expect/want the war horses or sadly, maybe only know the war horses. The average Stones fan isn't sitting on a message board show after show and comparing the set lists, nor is the average fan using bit torrent.

I actually think the musicians do get "bored" with the same set list show after show, but that's just part of the "job." An alternative would be what happened during the Licks tour which were different set lists for different size arenas- with more obvious spontaneity and flexibility for the small venue shows.
19th April 2006 04:02 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Lucy_Bandersnatch wrote:
Sad, sad, sad...come on summer... Great photos!

Just a couple of observations because I used to do a lot of trading and follow other RnR bands:

Although the Stones have an amazing catalogue to choose from, they can't just switch up the set list unless they incorporate each song's timing to be in sync with the lighting and who knows what else. The work that goes into producing a show this large and complicated is more than just picking songs out of a hat. Go look at the sound board area next show- everything is preprogrammed and computer generated.

Also, the majority of fans only go to one show and they expect/want the war horses or sadly, maybe only know the war horses. The average Stones fan isn't sitting on a message board show after show and comparing the set lists, nor is the average fan using bit torrent.

I actually think the musicians do get "bored" with the same set list show after show, but that's just part of the "job." An alternative would be what happened during the Licks tour which were different set lists for different size arenas- with more obvious spontaneity and flexibility for the small venue shows.

Thanks for something completely new!
19th April 2006 04:34 PM
jb It's called being stuck in Chuck.............
19th April 2006 05:57 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the Stones have the deepest and greatest song catalog of ANY band!
And they refuse to dip into it!

its like having 500 bottle vintage wine cellar and drinking from the same jug bottle every night

check out my sig...it was what micky said at the press conference last may
19th April 2006 05:58 PM
Paranoid_Android i just didn't realize they were digging deep into 40 licks!!!
19th April 2006 10:08 PM
gypsy A few photos of the Rolling Stones in Wellington, New Zealand - April 18, 2006:

20th April 2006 01:27 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Wow what a great selection of pix, you send it. And those three you selected are the best

Next set is by courtesy of Gyspy and Marty

24th April 2006 09:44 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
gypsy wrote:
A few photos of the Rolling Stones in Wellington, New Zealand - April 18, 2006:

Amazing pics, Gypsy! I really love this one of Mick.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)