ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Melbourne Rod Laver Arena - 13th april 2006 - Set List, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
13th April 2006 09:05 AM
Jeep From RS.com :

21 songs and Satisfaction opens the show

Satisfaction
Let's Spend The Night Together
She's So Cold
Oh No Not You Again
Sway
Worried About You
Ain't To Proud To Beg
Tumblin' Dice
Night Time Is The Right Time
---------------------
This Place Is Empty
Happy

Miss You
Rough Justice
Get Off My Cloud
Honky Tonk Woman

Sympathy
Paint It Black
Start Me Up
JJ Flash
Can't Always Get What You Want
Brown Sugar
[Edited by Jeep]
13th April 2006 09:10 AM
Jeep Pictures Reuters :

[Edited by Jeep]
13th April 2006 09:13 AM
Break The Spell Best set list of recent shows, good to see Sway, Worried About You and Paint It Black all there. I'd still trade night time for Midnight Rambler though.
13th April 2006 09:18 AM
Jeep

13th April 2006 09:29 AM
corgi37 Looks like i went to the wrong show. Sway and Worried about you!! Daethgod will be in heaven.

I went to the footy. My team won. Well, thats it for us. We'll never see them again.
[Edited by corgi37]
13th April 2006 09:29 AM
Make It Funky Great setlist! Nice to see the opening song switch.

When did Keith pick up the new white ES-335?? Was it a gift? It seems a little decorative for touring...?

Was the sound good in Melbourne? How was the audience?
Who opened, Living End? Jet?

Cheers!
13th April 2006 09:30 AM
corgi37 Airbourne opened.
13th April 2006 09:32 AM
corgi37 "decorative"????

Its a fucking gorgeous guitar. Soap bar pick ups and a bigsby tremelo. Probably worth a lazy $10,000.
13th April 2006 09:32 AM
gimmekeef Nice surprise at the top!...Just drop Rambler in the last run and replace Night Time with...?...Get Up Stand Up!..but sure it was a nice surprise for those there!
13th April 2006 09:33 AM
glencar Now that's a show! It's like Omaha & MSG all in one week.
13th April 2006 09:36 AM
Gazza amazed you chose to miss them in your home city, mate!

Interesting opener and shades of MSG in January with that setlist (Sway, WAY, Aint too proud to beg)

Nice photos. Unless I havent been paying attention, thats the first one I can recall seeing of Keith with that new white gee-tar everyone's been talkin' about
13th April 2006 09:46 AM
speedfreakjive So excited to see Brown Sugar as the closer ; I hope this remains the same for London
13th April 2006 10:04 AM
heymjm
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
"decorative"????

Its a fucking gorgeous guitar. Soap bar pick ups and a bigsby tremelo. Probably worth a lazy $10,000.

Looks more like humbuckers than soap bars to me - but you're dead right about it being gorgeus.
13th April 2006 10:27 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Jeep wrote:
From RS.com :

21 songs and Satisfaction opens the show

plus Sway & WAY!!

was that so hard to do fellas?
13th April 2006 10:39 AM
glencar That picture with Keef's white guitar also has a huge red tongue in it. Put it back in Keef!
13th April 2006 11:07 AM
six mayers PERFECT SET LIST!!!

Sway, Worried About You...really great lol

cheers
13th April 2006 11:10 AM
MarshallG
Friends and Neighbours,

What an amazing show.

I've heard the cliche "the atmoshere was electric" before, now I now it has real meaning.

I had the pleasure of being just in front of local Stones legend Jim Bob Young and his cohorts so I was in esteemed company.

At around 8:55pm there was such a buzz. When the houselights dimed, the drums started and the visuals fired up everyone was on their feet.

AND, THE FLOOR REMAINED ON THEIR FEET FOR THE ENTIRE SHOW !

Starting with 'Satisfaction', man I was in Babylon.

'Night Together', didn't see that coming but I am glad it did. 'She's So Cold', well excuuuuuse me. I'm thinking there and then that we are in for one helluva show.

Did I tell you the crowd was pumped?? Well, we were only warming up.

'Oh No Not You Again', I says to my wife, "honey these new songs kick", she doesn't hear me, it was damn loud.

'Sway'. In the words of a US President, READ MY LIPS, they played Sway. If I wasn't floating on air at that stage, I would have fallen over and done myself some damage.

'Worried About You' Baaaayybeeeeee !

'Ain't Too Proud To Beg' - by now I'm shaking my head in disbelief and I'm, thinking, Marshall, you can never have too much of a good thing.

Looking up from the floor, I had noticed that there was some guy in the back row of section 63 who up until now hadn't even tapped his big toe to the beat. 'Tumblin' Dice' finally had him see some sense and he was up dancing.

Lisa ruled during 'Night Time Is The Right Time', she got one helluva ovation.

Big cheers for Bobby. Charlie came out from behind the drums for his applause and Keef was visibly humbled by 11,000 devotees.

'Empty' and 'Happy', sorry, defies words.

'Miss You' - no short version, hey! whadthehell is the stage doing??

'Rough Justice', Get Off My Cloud' & 'Honky Tonk Woman' - three tunes spread over thirty years... I'm standing there thinking, their stuff is timeless... those three could have come from the same album.

'Sympathy' - was he wearing his Voodoo Tophat ?? I don't think he was... things are starting to get a little hazy...maybe too much of a good thing is a not so good afterall...

'Paint It Black' - MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER on this tour.

'Start Me Up', oh yeah I'm thinking, they haven't done this yet.

'JJ Flash' - yeah it's a cool opening track but I kinda like it where it was tonight, up the end with it's timeless collegues 'Can't Always Get What You Want' and 'Brown Sugar'.

Anyone who even attempts to moan about tonight's show does not have a pulse. I would not have traded in any of those tunes for Shelter or Rambler.

I got 'Sway', I got 'Beg', I got 'Together' and I got 'Cold' - I along with 11,000 other fans were dealt a winning hand.

The boys did good (oh yeah, the sound was near perfect) and because of it, I will get the wife's permission to put a second mortgage on the house again next time they tour.

The Stones are just as relevant today as they were in 1963. They are living proof that rock is not just for the young, it is also for the young at heart.

In their late 50's and 60's the Rolling Stones continue to set the parameters for what defines a rock 'n' roll concert. This tour has just raised the benchmark another notch.

After the bombs have fallen and the ash has settled, two things will remain, cockroaches and The Rolling Stones.

13th April 2006 11:57 AM
voodoopug Thankfully the band has been reading the Board. This is what hte setlists should look more like. I am just sorry the previous shows were so poorly planned!

COngrats to all who attended!
13th April 2006 12:20 PM
glencar This might be the show of the tour! Corgi, you made a huge mistake. One might call it "the biggest mistake of my life"! You are no longer king. You're the jester.
13th April 2006 12:23 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Thankfully the band has been reading the Board. This is what hte setlists should look more like.

you are welcome.
13th April 2006 12:27 PM
LadyJane Great review Marshal G!!!

It's always the same thing...we "armchair quaterback" and moan.

My guess is that 97% of attendants of EVERY show had similar feelings this Tour.

Europe......go out and BUY your tickets.

LJ.

13th April 2006 12:40 PM
glencar They're too cheap!
13th April 2006 12:40 PM
jb This more than makes up for the stadium show....congrats mates!!!!!
13th April 2006 01:14 PM
Jumping Jack Any show without Rambler is second tier by definition! Any show without MR or GS is third tier by definition.

All the whinners who complained about Radio City because they dropped NT & MY should be happy here, but I would take 19 songs with MR and GS any day!!!

That said, still a good setlist. Better yet if they got 21 and substituted MR & GS for NT & MY.
13th April 2006 01:15 PM
Saint Sway Interesting set. Some nice twists. The Chinese Government would approve!!

quote:
Jeep wrote:
Satisfaction
Let's Spend The Night Together
She's So Cold
Oh No Not You Again
Sway
Worried About You
Ain't To Proud To Beg
Tumblin' Dice
Night Time Is The Right Time
---------------------
This Place Is Empty
Happy

Miss You
Rough Justice
Get Off My Cloud
Honky Tonk Woman

Sympathy
Paint It Black
Start Me Up
JJ Flash
Can't Always Get What You Want
Brown Sugar

13th April 2006 04:45 PM
Jeep From the Melbourne Herald Sun :
http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18811483%255E2902,00.html

Satisfaction from Jumpin' Jack Flash
Cameron Adams, music writer
14apr06

ANYONE who has picked up a guitar since the mid-'60s owes a debt to the Rolling Stones.

In the one band you have the consummate rock frontman and the consummate rock star, who have each spawned countless imitators.
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have single-handedly written the how to, and the what not to do, bibles for rock 'n' roll.

Buying a ticket to see the Rolling Stones this year is buying a ticket to witness genuine living rock legends.

Sure there's a handful of new songs from their we've-got-our-mojo-back return to form album A Bigger Bang rubbing shoulders with the classics to stop their umpteenth world tour becoming a total nostalgia-fest.

But the Stones know exactly why people pay what it takes, as quickly as it takes to see them.

They boast a back catalogue of timeless, era-defining rock classics that are instantly identifiable before Jagger even opens his famous mouth.

Their Rod Laver Arena show last night may be what passes for intimate in their super-sized "because we can" world tour. It's also a rare and personal glimpse at the world's first stadium rock band.

Forget reluctant rock stars or shoe-gazing dullards: the Stones are showmen.

They managed to bring most of their outdoor stadium set-up and shoehorn it into their indoor show for the Rod Laver Arena as opposed to the 80,000-seat-plus venues they have played so far on their world tour.

A giant video screen and hydraulic stage, which moved from the front to the back of the arena, cleverly gave front-row seats to fans at the back for a set that included Miss You, Get Off My Cloud and Honky Tonk Woman.

Impressively, the Stones changed their set list from their outdoor Sydney show on Tuesday.

Their only Melbourne show opened with the triple whammy of Satisfaction, Let's Spend the Night Together and She's So Cold.

The two-hour set heaved with hits Tumbling Dice, Paint It Black, Sympathy for the Devil, Brown Sugar, Jumpin' Jack Flash and Start Me Up.

Long-time Stones fan Tanya Miles flew from Hobart for the Melbourne show.

"I thought their 2003 Australian tour would be the last time we'd see them play here, so when this tour was announced I made sure I got tickets," she said.

"They still sound so amazing and look so fit. I hope they just keep on going. I can't wipe the smile off my face."

Special mention must go to Warrnambool rockers Airbourne, who had the daunting and thrilling chance to open for the Stones. Their back-to-basics pub rock adapted easily to the arena.

The Stones leave Melbourne today for two shows in New Zealand.
13th April 2006 06:40 PM
belgarath68 My sister went to both shows and said it was really hard to choose one show over the other; despite the crap crowd in Sydney, the Stones played the songs really really well, but here she said they stuffed up quite a bit here. She thought Brown Sugar was played a lot better in Sydney (despite having no Bobby Keys) because Mick comes in singing at the wrong time and was a little off. And she thought Keith may have been a "little wasted" to quote her. But she liked that. She thought it was cool to see them in a much smaller arena and see them as 'people' rather than the otherworldly feel you got in Sydney.
So in my opinion, both shows seemed good but I'm still content with me going to the Sydney show only because people might complain about the setlist, but really it's about how they play the songs and whether they are having fun playing the songs. Not to say playing obscure/less played tracks are bad; far from it.
13th April 2006 07:29 PM
Daethgod oh my god !

what a freaking show

When I saw the small keyboard being brought out I nearly died !

WORRIED ABOUT YOU !!!!!!!!

it was farken unbelievable

plus Shes So Cold, Sway, AINT TOO PROUD TO BEG !!!!

The band were so on, and this was THE greatest crowd i have rocked with.

Pretty much EVERY dude was up all night

and NO-ONE sat down at all during Keefs set, it was amazing to see everyone standing during TPIE

sorry to say it corgi baby, but this was even better than Sydney.

BrownSugar was a total train wreck, Micks ear piece was playing up and he came in at the wrong time twice, the band kept drudging along. It was great to watch, Mick sauntered over to Chuck to get back in time. A lesser band would have stopped and restarted , but not our boys.

Only downside on the night was that bearded tinkler Chuck tossing out picks on the B stage .. wtf was that ?
get back on your keys and stay at the back.

Oh yer the sound - ALL GUITARS !!!

and Bobby was back.

and i ended up on the big screen !
I saw the cameraman working the crowd, as he hit me i looked right down the lens and was shaking my groove thang .. next sec everyone around me is yelling and shrieking, I was on the freaking screen, full tight heads hot .. going off my nut.

wooot !

[Edited by Daethgod]
13th April 2006 07:56 PM
Daethgod heres a post from shidoobee :

My seventeeth show and after the noise problems in Sydney, I'm happy and proud to say it was possibly the best stones show I've ever seen. Many things make a good show, seating position, sound, set list, crowd and tonite it all came together. Even the monumental fuck up in Brown Sugar was proof that The Stones are a real band of humans and shit happens and 'we will get ourselves out of it' and they did. Anyway, She So Cold seems to have been rehearsed a bit from earlier versions I've seen and was the ancient art of weaving personified. Then I truly, honestly shed a tear as Keith came out with the zermatis skull guitar and did a killer version of Sway and if that wasnt enough, the next song was worried about you... game over. I nearly left then and could have died a contented stones fan. The sound was crystal clear and Ronnie was on fire although after a great start to the solo in Worried About You, he did meander and lost the key phrasing. The band seemed to be really enjoying themselves although Jagger seems to be a bit testy with Keith at times especially the beginning of Worried About You where Keith seemed to come in a little early and Jagger gave him a few 'what the hell' looks. Further evidence of them enjoying themselves, the end of Ain't too Proud to Beg went on for a while with an extended Keith solo after which he was seen to jokely apologise to Chuck for going on too long. Overall I am so happy I'm now speechless. Tonight and with Soldier Field, Chicago last Sept, the best two Stones shows I've seen.
P.S. And Bobby was back for Brown Sugar solo.

Regards bv from Jonny Lamar Melbourne Australia - Stones rule!

13th April 2006 08:27 PM
gypsy The Rolling Stones - Melbourne, Australia - April 13, 2006:

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)