ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Velvet Revolver - Finally, a Rock and Roll Band Return to archive
April 22nd, 2004 10:26 AM
GimmeExile I just bought my tickets to see Velvet Revolver at the 9:30 Club. It felt good to buy tickets to see a new rock and roll band...Anyone else going to check out this new band on their upcoming club tour?

Thu 05/13/04 Saint Louis, MO The Pageant

Fri 05/14/04 Kansas City, KS Memorial Hall

Sat 05/15/04 Minneapolis, MN Quest Club

Wed 05/19/04 Chicago, IL Riviera Theatre

Thu 05/20/04 Detroit, MI TBA

Wed 05/26/04 New York, NY Roseland

Thu 05/27/04 Washington, DC 9:30 Club

Fri 05/28/04 Philadelphia, PA Electric Factory

Sat 05/29/04 Boston, MA TBA

Fri 06/04/04 Portland, OR Roseland Theater

Sat 06/05/04 Seattle, WA Moore Theatre

Mon 06/07/04 San Francisco, CA The Warfield

Tue 06/08/04 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern LG

Wed 06/09/04 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern LG
April 22nd, 2004 10:48 AM
Snappy McJack I'm gonna buy tix for the State Theatre show in Detroit. I think the tickets range from around $20-27.

April 22nd, 2004 11:03 AM
ResidentMule yeah, I think I'm gonna try. I don't know when the Philly show goes on sale
April 22nd, 2004 11:59 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I heard a clip of their new single and felt like sticking my finger down my throat. They sound no different than any of the other worthless 'hard alternative' shit bands on the radio today, it's just that they've got famous names to back them up. It's like Izzy Stradlin covering Linkin Park.

-tSYX --- I'm gonna driiiiive...
April 22nd, 2004 01:40 PM
Bloozehound thanks for the info

April 22nd, 2004 03:43 PM
Factory Girl Hey Gimme Exile, thanks for the info. I'll check them out.
April 22nd, 2004 03:47 PM
Factory Girl Hey, tix went on sale today and already sold-out. GimmeExile, you got an extra for me???

Send me a PM, thanks!
April 22nd, 2004 05:54 PM
MarthaMyDear Thank you for the info., GimmeExile!!! I'm gonna try for at least one of the L.A. shows when they go on sale!!! Hopefully, I won't have to work when they do!!! Anyways, thanks again and take care!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
April 22nd, 2004 07:24 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
MarthaMyDear wrote:
Thank you for the info., GimmeExile!!! I'm gonna try for at least one of the L.A. shows when they go on sale!!! Hopefully, I won't have to work when they do!!! Anyways, thanks again and take care!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***

we should meet up - I didnt know you were an Angeleno!

I would like to tape one of the LA shows - I meant to get to the 103 show last week, but didn't...
April 22nd, 2004 08:25 PM
MarthaMyDear HEY!!! HA!!! HA!!! lol....... You actually read my fricking mind, mac_daddy!!! I was actually gonna PM you to see if you wanted to see one of these shows cause I actually THOUGHT you might want to record at least one of them!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P We can both try for tix online and I'm sure we'll be able to get some!!! I can go to either one of these shows so I'll PM you later (or visa-versa), ok. (I have to do a little bit of cleaning-up around here today), and maybe we can make some plans (?!?!?!)!!! I have a car with a great CD player, FYI, so no transportation probs!!!

Anyways, take care and I hope to talk to you soon about this, alrighty-o?!?!?! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
April 22nd, 2004 08:47 PM
MarthaMyDear mac_daddy, you've got a PM!!! Hope you can go and hope to talk to you soon!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
April 22nd, 2004 09:15 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
They sound no different than any of the other worthless 'hard alternative' shit bands on the radio today,

that's what they said about STP when they first came out, and they turned out to be one of the most varied bands of that whole decade. I'm not thrilled with Slither either, but I'm gonna give the whole album a shot. I think the song's decent, but I liked All In The Suit You Wear better

I wonder if VR will put that one in their setlist? they'll be doing STP/GNR songs. the Pilots never got to play that one, and I really like it
April 22nd, 2004 09:54 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:

that's what they said about STP when they first came out, and they turned out to be one of the most varied bands of that whole decade.

The funny thing is that many critics of STP are so damn ignorant. They judge them as a Pearl Jam "clone" because Scott Weiland slightly sounds like Eddie Vedder on "Plush". One friggin' song and they are pre-judged as "wanna-be's".

A lot of people totally judge STP on the basis of "Core". I would be willing to bet that they never took a listen to every song on "Purple" and "Tiny Music". Hell, even "No.4" and "Shangril La Dee Da" have some great stuff on them.
April 22nd, 2004 10:18 PM
Soldatti Just I heard the new song from Velvet Revolver. It's a mix between GNR "The Spaghetti Incident?" and Linkin Park. Nothing special...
April 22nd, 2004 10:34 PM
Snappy McJack I honestly do not understand how you are correlating this song with techno-rap-rock drivel like Linkin Park.

From what I hear in the song, it's straight up rock and roll with Slash on the right and Dave Kusher with the pedal on the left. True, it's not groundbreaking, but to compare it (and the band) to Linkin Park, Disturbed, or some other "anger rock" band is ludicrous.

April 23rd, 2004 03:23 AM
ResidentMule actually I like Disturbed better than what I've heard of Velvet Revolver so far. I haven't bought the album or anything, and I intend to buy Contraband

agreed about the Pilots 5 albums. there's not too many bands around where I would say buy all their albums instead of just one or two to get their sound. after the 'Core' album, they hardly had any songs that sounded like they would even remotely fit that record. they all sound totally different, except maybe the last two. even Shangri La Dee Da is a really good album. #4 is the only one I don't particularly care for, but Purple and Tiny Music were such a change of sounds from the 'Pearl Jam rip off' phase. too bad people didn't actually listen to those albums aside from the singles. STP was miles ahead of Pearl Jam by the second album

and the Linkin Park comparison is streching it a little - but yeah, its basically the standard radio fodder that's always getting played(but so was plush). i'd say its better than most of the stuff around today, even if it doesn't fall too far from it
April 23rd, 2004 07:47 AM
Jumacfly totally agree with TSYX!!
i ve heard a few of their stuff, that s boring and sounds like....i dont know, but it was a big deception for me...i m still thinking Izzy is the last "attraction" of the ex GNR, but VV man , that sucks !!!
April 23rd, 2004 08:55 AM
mac_daddy haven't heard the studio stuff, but live is a different story...

hoprfully they will have their sh*t together by the final shows...
April 23rd, 2004 10:24 AM
Snappy McJack
totally agree with George W. Bush!!
i ve read a few of his stuff, that s boring and reads like....i dont know, but it was a big deception for me...i m still thinking Joey is the last "attraction" of the Rocks Off board, but JMF man , that sucks !!!

April 23rd, 2004 12:27 PM
Jumacfly Hey Snappy , relax your mind Junior...may be you play in this euh....band (sorry for the real bands), you feel very involved with them...but wait, may be...

ARE YOU SLASH BOYFRIEND???
April 23rd, 2004 01:05 PM
Snappy McJack I was just "Joshin'" with ya Ju!!

April 23rd, 2004 01:07 PM
Bloozehound http://www.ebaumsworld.com/badgers.html
April 23rd, 2004 01:08 PM
Jumacfly Joshin????LOL!!

Sorry!
April 23rd, 2004 01:12 PM
Jumacfly Bloozehound, great link! yek yek yek

Magic mushrooms rule you bastards!!
April 23rd, 2004 01:14 PM
Jumacfly
Try this one, with courtesy of the great Egon :

www.subserviantchicken.com