ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lou Reed since 96 Return to archive
April 19th, 2004 06:14 PM
Scottfree Just wanted to get peoples input familiar with his latter work. Set the Twilight Reeling was amazing, but is there anything worth buying after this? I bought some debacle of an album that just came out, something to do with E.A. Poe, it friggin sucks, and is now coaster material for my Stroh's beer. Any/all help would be appreciated.....

Your friendly neighborhood Spiderman....

"I want Egg Cream"
[Edited by Scottfree]
April 19th, 2004 06:45 PM
Mottrush
The album you refer to is last year's " The Raven". It was initially released as a double CD and then a watered down to a single disc. Both are very hard to get into but worthwhile. You certainly need to be in the right mood to get all the way through it!

The only other studio album since "Twighlight" was "Ecstacy" from 2000, also a lenghty affair but not as indulgent as "Raven".

I would recommend the two live albums released during this period too. "Perfect Night - Live in London" from 1997 has a great set list and the sound is amazing! The new live release "Animal Serenade" is a double CD and also has a good set list. Features stunning versions of "Set the Twighlight Reeling", "All Tomorrow's Parties" and "Dirty Boulevarde" among others.

Lou may not be to everyone's taste but as they say one man's meat is another man's poison!!

Cheers,

Mottrush
April 19th, 2004 09:30 PM
Gazza I've pretty much all of Lou's solo work. I thought "Twilight" was overrated. I liked "Ecstasy" a lot more.
April 19th, 2004 10:23 PM
Scottfree
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I've pretty much all of Lou's solo work. I thought "Twilight" was overrated. I liked "Ecstasy" a lot more.

I prefered T-Light over New Jack City.....IF anything I think it is underrated....
April 20th, 2004 08:22 AM
West 8 I liked Ecstasy myself. The 1st track sounds very X-pensive Whino(ish) to me. A couple of songs could use an edit job,IMO "Like a Possume"
April 20th, 2004 12:39 PM
MrPleasant I think it depends on whether you're the morose type. Myself, I can use some Leonard Cohen (for instance) once in a while, and Magic And Loss is on my what to buy next list.
This site is from an experienced and dedicated listener; I don't always agree with him, but his effort is impressive IMO:

http://starling.rinet.ru/music/reed.htm
April 20th, 2004 04:06 PM
Prodigal Son I love some Lou albums. For example, Transformer, Rock and Roll Animal, Street Hassle, The Blue Mask, New York, Magic and Loss. Plus, I love every VU album, as they are all grade-A worthy, except for White Light/White Heat (only 5 songs and 2 are artsy wastes of times while the other is 18 minutes of boring feedback).
Velvet Underground and Nico: A-
WL/WH: B
The Velvet Underground: A
Loaded: A
Live 1969 at Max's Kansas City: B+
VU: B+
April 20th, 2004 05:56 PM
Gazza > prefered T-Light over New Jack City.....IF anything I think it is underrated....

New jack City?? Huh? Do you mean "New York"? (personally my fave Lou album along with "Berlin")

>I think it depends on whether you're the morose type. Myself, I can use some Leonard Cohen (for instance) once in a while, and Magic And Loss is on my what to buy next list.

Magic and Loss is very good. But yeah, listen to some Laughin' Len first just to cheer yourself up a bit!

April 20th, 2004 08:00 PM
Scottfree M&L is a sure wrist slitter.....
April 20th, 2004 08:03 PM
glencar Which one had that awful "The Pope Meets Mr. Waldheim" song? That had some good stuff but that song wasn't one of them.
April 20th, 2004 08:08 PM
Gazza New York..

the song was "Good evening Mr Waldheim". Didnt really "fit" with the rest of that album for me, but its ok I guess
April 20th, 2004 08:10 PM
glencar OK you guess? It was offensive on several different levels. Musically, PC-wise & I hate politics in my music. Dirty Boulevard was good though.
April 20th, 2004 11:38 PM
BILL PERKS NEW YORK IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE CD'S...PUT A FORK IN THEIR ASS AND TURN EM OVER THEY'RE DONE...NEVER WAS MORE RELEVANT TODAY.