ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Can the Stones get to the top again?? Return to archive
April 17th, 2004 07:18 PM
Cousin Luke Are they capable or are they happy releasing rubbish? If I was in the studio with them, I could come up with a better concept than they could. I cannot take another weak effort from these guys. Retire already and save the legacy
[Edited by Cousin Luke]
April 17th, 2004 07:24 PM
Cousin Luke I'm not trying to cause trouble, just don't understand ya see.
April 17th, 2004 07:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Cousin Luke wrote:
Are they capable or are they happy releasing rubbish? If I was in the studio with them, I could come up with a better concept than they could. I cannot take another weak effort from these guys. Retire already and save the legacy

Retirement could actually help destroy "the legacy"...no, retirement is not the answer. But a "good" album is. Plus a certain part of the legacy is fantasy anyway.
April 17th, 2004 07:30 PM
Cousin Luke They were so good and then bam- suckage ever since. Its as if thay are purposely doing it. No radio friendly song since start me up is odd!
April 17th, 2004 07:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Cousin Luke wrote:
I'm not trying to cause trouble, just don't understand ya see.

Oh sure. That's what they all say.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
April 17th, 2004 07:35 PM
Cousin Luke sorry- just bored.
April 17th, 2004 09:08 PM
Some Guy I think that the new album will be well done. I can't wait!
April 17th, 2004 09:28 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Cousin Luke wrote:
They were so good and then bam- suckage ever since. Its as if thay are purposely doing it. No radio friendly song since start me up is odd!

You're double - fired!

April 17th, 2004 09:43 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

You're double - fired!

Fire this, Donny!
April 17th, 2004 09:57 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Cousin Luke wrote:
Are they capable or are they happy releasing rubbish? If I was in the studio with them, I could come up with a better concept than they could. I cannot take another weak effort from these guys. Retire already and save the legacy
[Edited by Cousin Luke]

-Cousin Luke-
To say you could come up with a better concept meaning....What....??? What was wrong with Voodoo Lounge?
Bridges concept was to take the Stones into a different light and have the album run differently than most Stones albums.
Cousin Luke-The Stones are professional musicians.
They have written many Rock classics. They have
like twenty plus top ten albums which includes
like 13 number one albums and all the rest within
the top 5 spot. They also have a string of other top
40 hits in conjunction with the classics. They
play many different Instruments and have set the
top standard for a touring Rock act.
When The Stones make an album they are among
the best equipment you can obtain in a recording
studio and use a world class record producer.
No offense, I'm not trying to start trouble either
but with all the facts I have listed above...How could
somebody that no-ones ever heard of with not an ounce
of any stature or credibility in the audio Industry
possibly think they would know what to do in the studio
better than The Rolling Stones themselves and all their
world class staff? Honestly.......
April 18th, 2004 01:34 AM
beer "Can the Stones get to the top again?? "

No.

Does that matter?

Absolutely not.

Can they put out a great album that reflects their original dirty R-n-R sound and isn't slick and over-produced ??

THAT is the question. it's entirely up to mick and Keith. i believe they can still create that raw music, but i doubt it will happen.

April 18th, 2004 03:16 AM
Bloozehound I'm not the biggest fan of thier output since the mid 80's either, but alot of it has grown on me. They've moved on artistically since their glory days, so maybe we should too.

I think alot of us sort of take there artistic accomplishments for granted. They're old, they've done enough, they've earned the right to take it easy.

I guess the best way to describe them nowdays is to say it seems liked their output is stretched thin, but damn if there hasn't been some fine gems created in the midst of it.

I'm really curious to see what they put out next, if they're willing to do it, then bring it on, it can't be all that bad.

April 18th, 2004 05:06 AM
Egbert The Glimmer Twins no longer have the chemistry required to make a great album. A good, professional album yes - a great album no. Tattoo You was the last great one IMO.
April 18th, 2004 05:54 AM
egon top what again? exile, sticky, bleed? no, probably not.

can they top voodo or bridges? i think so.
2 good albums that where made not too long ago. i don't see why they should have lost 'it' in the last couple of years.

yet one thing is true, those new songs on licks make me shit licksquid (with thank to the joeyster), and don't really give much hope for a new quality album.

on the other hand, if they never record again, that's fine with me. just the occasional tour now and then.
April 18th, 2004 09:58 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Cousin Luke wrote:
[...] No radio friendly song since start me up is odd!

Oh, thanks God, because it would be the worst of the nightmares.....

I don't want a "Radio Friendly Song", I wanna Rock'n'Roll, that's it. "Radio friendly song" as you said, sounds like a POP thing. Songs conceived by the likes of Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, all the Kings of Rock'n'Roll, all the classic stuff are played on classic rock stations. That's enough.
April 19th, 2004 12:08 AM
beer
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Songs conceived by the likes of Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, all the Kings of Rock'n'Roll, all the classic stuff are played on classic rock stations. That's enough.

funnily enough, i've played Alice Cooper's "Teenage Lament '74" at least 5 times already today. i'm obsessed with that song!!
April 19th, 2004 04:41 AM
exile i dont actually think Voodoo was bad at all

I rate "Love is strong" as a strong stones song
NOT great but strong

I enjoyed Voodood and listened to it a lot

HOWEVER that tripe that was "bridges" was really below par.....yes mick was trying to take the stones in a new direction....

"Flip the switch" I vote is the worst stones song ever recorded
April 19th, 2004 06:30 AM
F505 the Stones as a topband producing topalbums doesn't exist for a long time: in the eighties and nineties they released very mediocre albums with the exception of Tattoo You. But why bother? Once they gave us the best music ever made and I still enjoy it....
April 19th, 2004 11:55 AM
Some Guy We will see... and hear.
April 19th, 2004 12:03 PM
L&A Call Rik Rubin !!!

Even Iggy Pop has issued a good album after all those years... Thanks Rik !
April 19th, 2004 12:11 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
beer wrote:

funnily enough, i've played Alice Cooper's "Teenage Lament '74" at least 5 times already today. i'm obsessed with that song!!

Good to know that another Stones' fans enjoy Alice Cooper.
April 19th, 2004 01:38 PM
Stones The Stones really can't win with alot of people on this board. 95% want another Exiles - and will never get it. They were in their 20's and now are in their 60's. How could they possibly right the same type of songs ? The Stones have lasted so long because they don't make the same album everytime they record. They try different things which sometimes turn out bad - Black & Blue - and sometimes turn out great - Undercover. It will be extremely hard to get a single to # 1 for them because they get almost zero airplay for anything put out since after 1981. When it is released the classic Rock stations will play it for a little while and then it's back to the 3 or 4 songs they always play.The albums still sell good and a new one will most likely get to #1 if it is promoted right. Voodoo Lounge came close but the Lion King kept it out, 40 licks was stopped by Elvis.
April 19th, 2004 02:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I don't really understand the question. When were the Stones never "on top"? How can they get "back on top" as they never left?
April 19th, 2004 02:41 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I don't really understand the question. When were the Stones never "on top"? How can they get "back on top" as they never left?

We are far behind the likes of Aerosmith, madonna, Beatles, Billy Joel, Elton, Eagles, Led Zeppelin, etc on sales list and we lost to Macca on the first leg of the Licks tour last time....thus, we often are not on top
http://www.alighthouse.com/alone.htm

April 19th, 2004 02:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well I guess it all depends on how one defines "top". There are many "yardsticks" I suppose.
April 19th, 2004 02:55 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Well I guess it all depends on how one defines "top". There are many "yardsticks" I suppose.

The reality is that without a hit single in over 20 years oe significant album we have lost some of our luster...it's the concert grosses that keep them somewhat relevant...not the music anymore("The Passion" -killing jews throughout the world).
April 19th, 2004 03:01 PM
gimmekeef Some people would say that the top of the music industry these days includes Eminem, Outkast,Brittany etc etc.And for teens etc that like that stuff hey thats their right.But we all keep hoping for one last killer Stones album an personally I've resigned myself that its not likeley to happen.And with all the pleasure the band has given me for 40 yrs on albums and the stage they dodnt owe me a thing!...Just one more tour baby!!!!!!!(been saying that line since 1972 and I always get what I want)
April 19th, 2004 03:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
The reality is that without a hit single in over 20 years oe significant album we have lost some of our luster...

I'm not sure that "yardstick" is as important as it once was. But the next album should be reasonbly good. It would be great to see Mick pull a rabbit out of his hat.
April 19th, 2004 05:28 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat No.