ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sly & the Family Stone Return to archive
April 16th, 2004 07:44 PM
Zeeta Fuckin ace!!!!!!!!
April 16th, 2004 08:01 PM
Gazza theres some great moments in the "Woodstock" movie but I dont care what anyone says to the contrary - for me the most electrifying performance was Sly doin' "I Wanna Take You Higher"
April 16th, 2004 10:22 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Well, talking about "great moments" I want to mention Santana, Jefferson Airplane doing Uncle Sam Blues and Volunteers as well as and The Who and Ten Years After

and talking about "electrifying performance" I think it was Jimi closing the festival

Sly was ok

I know you said you don't care what anyone says

April 16th, 2004 10:32 PM
sirmoonie Zeet!

I swears to gods that any fucker coming of age in the 70s knows goddams well that Hot Fun in the Summertime blows doors on anything Sinatra ever did.

Cheers my bro!
April 16th, 2004 11:27 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Fuckin ace!!!!!!!!

I've seen Sly three times in concert. They were always very late, always very wasted and always very good.
You ain't lived until you're wound up in the middle of a gig and then they play I Want to Take you Higher. It rarely has gotten any better than that. Ever!

Who needs drugs for a high when you've got the music.

Rick
April 17th, 2004 12:04 AM
Sir Stonesalot Man...Sly makes me wanna DANCE!

I LOVE that shit!

Crazy good stuff. CRAZY good.
April 17th, 2004 09:34 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Maxmeister wrote:
You ain't lived until you're wound up in the middle of a gig and then they play I Want to Take you Higher. It rarely has gotten any better than that. Ever!

Yeah... LOL....unforgettable for sure.
April 17th, 2004 10:39 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Sorry. Unforgettable was not the correct word.

Nirvana....that's it.
April 17th, 2004 01:10 PM
UGot2Rollme THANK YOU (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)
one of the best bad ass funky bass lines ever?!

I remember being about 13 yrs old, my bike had been stolen the same day I bought Sly's greatest hits. Sly and Family made me feel like my bike loss wasn't such a big deal and a couple weeks later I won a bike on a radio station while requesting a song..
April 17th, 2004 03:01 PM
Zeeta Yeaaaaaggggggh!!!!!!!!!! [in same Jagger voice used in Hand of Fate - back of the throat sort of gargle!!!]

Cheers whiteys!! The seriously nail it Sly - love the fact he got married on stage also!!! One crazy basteel!
April 17th, 2004 04:37 PM
Ten Thousand Motels

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
April 17th, 2004 05:21 PM
TornAndFrayed DANCE TO THE MUSIC!

I love Sly. "There´s A Riot Goin´ On" is one of my all time favorite albums.
April 20th, 2004 07:41 AM
Zeeta
April 21st, 2004 09:56 PM
CousinCocaine I saw SLY ca.73 at a 2day festival in Frankfurt/Germany.

Others were the Faces,Chuck Berry & many more.

But that Sly gig has been burned deep into my memory.
They were late, very late - and than what an entrance! What a gig!They had the whole stadium on their feet in a minute.
Everybody was groovin along and yellin (lots of US soldiers there).
After only ca. 30 min. the highlight "Higher". Everybody out of their heads (which was not too hard - so many drugs around), and than suddenly - the end!
No encore - everybody with their mouth open, after awhile the people gettin angry. Riots, but good ol' Sly & Family was gone . .
Bye
CC