ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Jagger in 'The Mayor Of Sunset Strip' Film Return to archive
April 13th, 2004 06:58 PM
Promo More than just a documentary on Rodney. This film recounts the rock scene in L.A. from 1965-All the way up to the present. This is one of the best Rock Documentaries ever made. I had to see it twice. Was Rodney really beaten up by Brian Jones??

Documentary filmmaker George Hickenlooper spotlights famed Rock fan turned DJ, music promoter, club owner, and journalist Rodney Bingenheimer, known in L.A. on radio station KROQ as ''Rodney on the ROQ.'' From his arrival on the scene during the psychedelic '60s to his current fixture on the airwaves.

Rodney is a legend. And he's helped alot of musicians. Mick's in the film briefly twice, along with David Bowie, Ray Manzarek, X, Brian Wilson, No Doubt, Alice Cooper, Blondie, the Ramones, Coldplay, DramaRama, Pamela Des Barres, Sex Pistols, The Runaways, Sonny and Cher, Phil Spector, Oasis,...etc

THEATERS:
Check out these
Upcoming Cities
*        Bloomfield Hills, MI | April 16th
*        Denver, CO | April 16th
*        Atlanta, GA | April 16th
*        St. Louis, MO | April 16th
*        Seattle, WA | April 16th
*        Voorhees, NJ | April 16th
*        Philadelphia, PA | April 16th
*        Scottsdale, AZ | April 23rd
*        Chicago, IL | April 23rd
*        Alburquerque, NM | April 30th
*        Portland, OR | April 30th
*        Dallas, TX | April 30th
*        Houston, TX | April 30th
*        Fort Lauderdale, FL | April 30th
*        Washington, DC | April 30th
*        Cambridge, MA | April 30th
*        Austin, TX | April 30th
*        Miami, FL | April 30th
*        Tuscon, AZ | May 14th
*        Cleveland, OH | May 21st

March 26, 2004
Los Angeles:
Laemmle Sunset 5

Santa Monica:
Laemmle Monica 4-Plex

Irvine:
Regal-Edwards University 6

Pasadena:
Laemmle Playhouse 7

Sherman Oaks:
Pacific Theatres Galleria 16

Santa Barbara:
Plaza Del Oro
------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 2, 2004
New York:
AMC Empire 25

New York:
Angelika Film Center

Palm Springs:
Laemmle Camelot 3 Theatre

Laguna Niguel:
Mann Rancho Niguel 8
------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 9, 2004

Mt View:
Shoreline Century 16

San Jose:
Nyblom Theatres Camera 3

Sausalito:
Century Cine Arts 3

Berekley:
Landmark Act 1 & 2 Cinemas

San Diego:
Landmark Ken Cinema

San Francisco:
Landmark Lumiere 3

April 13th, 2004 08:20 PM
mac_daddy grew up listening to his show @ midnight on Sundays...

fantastic flick...

hard to believe anyone was beat up by Brian (besides women ), but Rodney is diminuitive in size...
April 13th, 2004 11:15 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks for this news Promo!

I'm gonna give For Free including shipping to anywhere in the planet a copy of one disc to the one who answer this question:

Mention one official released recording in which Brian Jones, Mick Jagger and Rodney Bingenheimer are together in one special way.

You need to mention:

• Name of the album:
  • Name of the band:
  • Main musicians:
  • Producer(s):
  • Original release year:

Offer expires in 24 hours from the time of this post.
The gift will be the release of the subject question

April 14th, 2004 04:02 AM
Monkey Woman I know that one!

• Name of the album: Permanent Damage
  • Name of the band: The G.T.O.'s
  • Main musicians: Frank Zappa (tambourine), Jeff Beck (guitar), Ian Underwood, Craig Doerge & Nicky Hopkins (keyboards), Don Preston (synthetizer), Jimmy Carl Black (drums), Roy Estrada (bass) + vocals by Miss Mercy, Miss Christine, Miss Cynderella, Miss Sandra, Miss Pamela (Miller-Des Barres), Rod Stewart & Rodney Bingenheimer
  • Producer(s): Frank Zappa & Lowell George
  • Original release year: 1969

I'll add the composers: David Jones & Sparky Parker.

Do I win?
April 14th, 2004 07:31 PM
SeerSuckersuit Pamela and Cynthia Plaster Caster in LA

LIFESTYLE: Pamela's first rock star boyfriend was none other than Jim Morrison of the Doors. In '66 she saw him at clubs, paid a surprise visit to his house where she was kicked out by his steady girlfriend, Pamela Morrison, but she and Jim dated for a little while before he returned to his other Pamela. With him she also began experimenting with drugs, especially a liquid form of PCP. Of the Lizard King she said,

"We went to third base, but he understood that I didn't want to go any further. When I first met him he was a sweety -- very quiet and very shy offstage. He was very caring; he never talked about his work with the Doors, just about his poetry ... but a year later I met him in the Whiskey and he slapped my face and threw a bottle of beer at a friend of mine. He'd lost it ... Jim got an addiction, and that was that."

Pamela lost her virginity in '67 to Nick St. Nicholas of the band Steppenwolf; she described him as an "exquisite, blonde, very odd guy from Germany," but he was a musician and that's what she wanted at nineteen years old. After they broke up, Pamela's next boyfriend was Noel Redding, bassist for the Jimi Hendrix Experience; with Redding she traveled to their gigs, but they too soon broke up and she came back to L.A. Looking for true love, in July of '69 she saw Led Zeppelin perform and got into an after-show party, where she was starstruck to meet Jimmy Page; she was 21, he was 24, and they began dating that August. "We held hands, we had wild sex ... I sat up on his amps when the band played," she boasted happily about their intense affair. Unfortunately, he was also seeing a fourteen-year-old girl simultaneously, and he dumped Pamela for her. Pamela was heartbroken but in October '69 she met Mick Jagger at a club where the Flying Burrito Brothers were playing, and she and the lead Stone then had a brief, friendly fling. A year later Pamela chased (and was chased by) 32-year-old married country star Waylon Jennings, and they had what she told us was "an on again/off again fling for two years." When she started acting in the early '70s, she met the Who's drummer Keith Moon, and they too had an intense affair, but he eventually went back to England to tour and be with his wife and daughter: "He was another one that I knew I was not gonna wind up with, but it was just FUN!" Young actor Don Johnson entered her life in mid-'71, and they moved in together that October for a year; he left her for fifteen-year-old Melanie Griffith, daughter of Tippi Hedren, and he and Melanie moved in together in '72. In '73 on the set of Arizona Slim Pamela met 26-year-old English rocker Michael Des Barres of the group Silverhead; he courted her and moved to L.A. to be with her. "I like English men," she said, "I don't know why, I just do, they've got a lot more charm." Passionate for each other, she traveled with his band and they were eventually married in L.A.'s Laurel Canyon on October 29th of '77. On September 30th of '78 she gave birth to son Nicholas Dean Des Barres and settled into a life as a homemaker; her husband's drug addiction was a constant worry, and after he finally quit he gave in to infidelity, so he and Pamela divorced in '91.
[Edited by SeerSuckersuit]
April 14th, 2004 09:08 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Do I win?

Yes you won... and you already have the prize, but just let us know what is that special way in which they are together in that recording

Do you have this disc/record/tape?
Do you want this disc or another?
Did you answer from your very own knowledge or did a websearch? (just curious as I did a websearch and the answer is easy that way hehe)

Please PM your address as you won and you have the disc, I have your addy but just to be 100% sure. Do NOT send me an e-mail as I'm having problems at home just by PM
April 15th, 2004 09:07 AM
Monkey Woman Forgot to mention that "special way"? Aw! Well, here it is! This album features the song "Rodney", a tongue-in-cheek tribute to Rodney Bingenheimer whose lyrics also feature Mick Jagger and Brian Jones, among others.

I didn't need a websearch to remember that song! I remembered it from the highly enjoyable book "I'm With The Band" by Pamela Des Barres (known as Pamela Miller, or Miss Pamela, at the time of the G.T.O., she later married the rocker Michael Des Barres), long-time Stones fan and one of Mick's most famous girlfriends. She quotes the song in full in that book. And she recounts how Frank Zappa came to produce this album of the girl group G.T.O. (Girls Together Outrageously, Orally or "anything beginning with O"), whose members were all dedicated groupies.

I can't resist to post the lyrics!

RODNEY

We have a friend named Rodney Bingenheimer
He has a dutchboy hair-cut and he's five feet three
He lives down the street from Hullabalooo
And he doubles for Davy Jones
(And he got beaten up by Brian Jones)

He's so amazing you should see his walk
It just screams "Get in there with the pop-stars!''

"Let me in, let me in, I'm with one of the Vanilla Fudge"

Rodney:
I know Sonny and Cher
I meditated with George Harrison
The Hollies are my best friends
And I ate lunch with Grace Slick yesterday.'

We see you at [Wallicks] and down at The Ranch Market
Waiting for pop stars to casually stroll by
Oh, Rodney, if you introduce me to Mick Jagger
I'll let you meet my little sister
She's only twelve years old!

I did use a Google search to fill in some details!
April 15th, 2004 09:25 AM
Monkey Woman BTW, Voodoo, you've got PM!
April 17th, 2004 09:48 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl obJA A small package of Value will come to you... shortly

AND WITH A BONUS TRACK 100% RELATED

hilarious CD
April 17th, 2004 09:51 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Two MP3 samples of the CD you'll have soon, those who have never heard it have a listen now

http://rocksoff.org/h3-zappa-nickhopkins-jeffbeck-rodstewart-gtos.mp3

http://rocksoff.org/h3-zappa-nickyhopkins-jeffbeck-rodstewart-etc.mp3

April 19th, 2004 07:20 AM
Monkey Woman Great job, Voodoo! You are the best!!!
April 20th, 2004 02:23 AM
Promo Great Lyrics Monkey Woman!!

I went back to see the film again. And I live up in the Bay Area, so everytime I went to Mt View to see it.

I'm sitting in the theatre and in walks Rodney's Dad and Stepmom. It was surreal. They sat right by me and I remarked to them that they were in the film. They were thrilled when I recognized them. They said that there'd been a Hollywood premiere and Rodney was really happy with the film. They said they live in Sunnyvale.

It was also funny to watch them react to the film once it started.
They would talk back to the screen a little at certain times. Like when Rodney called JFK on the phone. That little..."ohhh" that Rodney lets out when they tell him that JFK cant come to the phone:lol Or when they were asked what made celebrities special. They're like...."I dont know...":rollin