ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bob & Willie in Cooperstown ? (nsc) Return to archive
April 13th, 2004 01:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson may perform in Cooperstown

By Tom Grace

Cooperstown News Bureau

Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson may perform together in Cooperstown this summer if details can be worked out in the next few weeks.

The two would like to hold a concert at Doubleday Field on Aug. 6, according to Jeff Idelson of Cooperstown.

"They want to perform in minor-league baseball parks this summer, and they'd like to start their tour in Cooperstown," he said.

The local concert would launch a tour of 20-30 ballparks that would end in Dyersville, Iowa, location for the movie "Field of Dreams," he said.

Idelson is a spokesman for the National Baseball Hall of Fame, but the Hall is not a party to the proposed concert, he said Monday.

Idelson said the proposed tour's organizer is the Goldklang Group, owner of several minor-league baseball teams. About two weeks ago, he introduced Tom Whaley, a representative of Goldklang and vice president of the St. Paul Saints, to the Cooperstown Village Board of Trustees.

The board listened to Whaley's proposal and turned the matter over to the Doubleday Field Committee, said Mayor Carol Waller.

"It would be exciting to have them here, but we have a lot of things to consider," said Waller.

Village Trustee Stuart Taugher, who leads the Doubleday Field Committee, said that one of his concerns is how much damage the baseball field would sustain in a concert.

"I'm worried about the field, and of course there's parking and police protection," he said. Doubleday Field is in a residential neighborhood, and not all the neighbors may want a concert there, Taugher noted.

Idelson said the organizers anticipate filling the seats and letting people sit on blankets on the grass as well. The baseball grandstands hold about 10,000 people, and another 2,000-to-4,000 would sit on the field.

Proceeds from the food and beverage concessions would go to the village or its designees, he said.

Idelson said, "I think the concert might expand Cooperstown's multicultural appeal. We have the museums and the opera. We've had jazz musicians, too, and this concert would add to what we offer. If it went well, the village might consider hosting other concerts occasionally."

Jam Productions would promote the event, and tickets would likely cost $35-to-$40, he said.

Taugher said his committee will study the matter and make a recommendation to the village board, which will decide whether the music legends come to Cooperstown.

April 13th, 2004 01:24 PM
Martha If you build it they will come!

Shit, I'm gonna bulldoze the back field and get a new ballpark ready for August!

Keep us posted!!!!
April 13th, 2004 01:52 PM
glencar What a silly idea.
April 13th, 2004 07:18 PM
polksalad69
quote:
glencar wrote:
What a silly idea.

Agreed.
April 13th, 2004 11:21 PM
Martha Hey, I'm building a ballpark in the back field whether you two think it is silly or not!

Although it didn't necessarily help Costner's career. I would agree with that much.

I'm 20 miles out of town...cold irons bound....
April 14th, 2004 01:07 AM
T&A Silly idea? How so? Very cool idea - what's more America than Bob, Willie and baseball? If they come to my neighborhood I'll be there with my mitt...
April 14th, 2004 02:52 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
T&A wrote:
Silly idea? How so? Very cool idea - what's more America than Bob, Willie and baseball?

and waaaarrm apple pie

[Edited by Bloozehound]
April 14th, 2004 05:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martha wrote:
Hey, I'm building a ballpark in the back field whether you two think it is silly or not!

Hey why not? LOL You build it and they will come.
April 16th, 2004 10:17 AM
Gazza looks like it may have to take place in Martha's Backyard after all...

--------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, April 15, 2004

Fate of Bob Dylan concert uncertain

By JIM AUSTIN

Editor

Concerns over the turf on Doubleday Field may sideline a proposal to bring music legends Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson together for concert on the famed ball diamond in August.

During its meeting Tuesday morning, the village's Doubleday Field committee discussed the concert proposal presented to the board of trustees late last month by Tom Whaley, the executive vice-president for business development for the St. Paul Saints, one of the teams owned by the Goldklang Group. The Goldklang Group is the organizer of the concert tour of 20 to 30 minor league baseball parks and is working with the Jam Productions, the promoter of the tour.

"We're dealing with a national shrine here and I don't want it ruined on my watch," said committee chairman Stuart Taugher.

Committee member Howard Talbot, who said he was in favor of the concert at first, echoed Taugher's concern and said he would not approve the concert proposal if seating was allowed on the outfield grass as was discussed originally.

"I definitely would not allow them on the field," he said. "What's this going to do for Cooperstown. I don't think it means a thing to us."

If there was to be a concert, Taugher said he would have the stage set up behind second base and shortstop with seating only in the stands and on the warning track in the outfield.

Taugher called Vernon Downs where they have music concerts to see what their experience has been and learned that the grass in the racetrack infield is always ruined.

But Doubleday Field head groundskeeper Joe Harris said his wife and kids had been to concerts at Vernon Downs and the reason the grass is ruined is because there is a mosh pit in front of the stage.

"That's the reason the grass is ruined," he said. "I don't personally feel with Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson that there would be a mosh pit. That's my opinion."

Harris said he talked with Connie Rudolph, the head groundskeeper at the Goldklang Group's St. Paul stadium where they have held similar concerts. Harris said she explained the program they had developed to prepare and protect the turf on the field before and after a concert. According to Rudolph, he said, they have not had any major damage on their field.

One of the big worries for the grass is if there is significant rain before the concert.

Village police chief Michael Crippen proved the committee with a list of his concerns, including costs related to additional manpower, safety and lighting because the stadium is not equipped with lighting for an evening show, security and trespassing on private property around the field, parking and traffic, and the inability to enforce quality of life issues such as open containers, noise, etc.

"Although we can handle a crowd of 10,00 baseball fans on a sunny Monday afternoon, it will not be as easy for that many or even less Willie Nelson/Bob Dylan fans on a Friday evening," he wrote in his report. "I do not see this as a family event that will attract young couples with their children like our games do and I doubt they will all hop into their minivans at the end of the show and head home."

Sergeant Dave Segit of the New York State Police post in Richfield Springs attended the meeting to discuss their possible involvement.

Segit said there has to be a "high threshold of tolerance" when comes to nuisance issues like smoking, drinking and noise because of the size of the crowd.

The state police, he said, would have to have a formal request from the village before he could specific about the service they would provide. "I'm sure the state police in some fashion would get involved," he said. "We would need to sit down with the chief and see what our role would be."

Lee Malone, trustee representative on the Doubleday Field committee said her main concern is the safety of residents and visitors. Malone lives directly behind the field and said two or two-and-a-half hours of music wouldn't bother her. "Everybody I talked to was very positive," she said.

Mayor Carol Waller also said she had heard positive comments about the concert from residents and asked the committee to keep an open mind.

Waller said she believes the village needs to come up with a complete list of costs it would incur and also an estimate of what the village would get out of the concert monetarily.

Talbot suggested that he would like the village to receive $20,000 to $25,000 for providing the venue for the concert.

During the initial meeting, Goldklang's Whaley said they would expect a crowd of 10,000 to 12,000 persons at a ticket price in the neighborhood of $40.

Typically, the artist and promoters would share in the revenue from ticket and merchandise sales. The village, he said, would receive the revenue from concession sales at the concert which could be expected to average $5 to $6 per person.

Harris said in his conversation with the St. Paul stadium groundskeeper, that she related they had made as much as $100,000 from concession sales.

During the meeting, trustees talked about turning concessions over to a not-for-profit group like the fire department.

The committee is still studying the concert request and did not formulate a recommendation to the village board.

Village clerk Laura Lee said she spoke Tuesday with Don Sullivan of Jam Productions who said they need to know the village's decision about the concert soon, but could wait until after the board meets Monday evening.

© 2000-2003 The CoopersTown Crier
April 16th, 2004 10:23 AM
parmeda Is anyone else having "visions of Woodstock" here? ...lol

That little mountain town would be destroyed. They could NEVER be prepared for something like this to happen.
Too bad...'cause it's a beautiful place.
April 16th, 2004 10:26 AM
Martha Yeah I'll be ready by August, and I'm not worried about grass being destroyed in August, shit it's usually totally burned out and brown by that time of year anyway.

However...NO mosh pit!

Now, where exactly is this Cooperstown? NY state?

April 16th, 2004 10:29 AM
parmeda
quote:
Martha wrote:
Now, where exactly is this Cooperstown? NY state?

Up where God lost his shoes, lol
Really, Martha...there's only one way in and one way out.

Yes, it's in central NY
[Edited by parmeda]
April 16th, 2004 10:29 AM
nankerphelge Central New York -- between Syracuse and Albany just off Route 20!

Woodstock is an apt comparison. It would be a disaster to get in & out of.

April 16th, 2004 10:33 AM
parmeda Oh! And one other note of importance...

Inductions to the Hall are usually in mid-late July.
Trying to get hotel bookings around a one month window (+/-) is a miracle in itself.
[Edited by parmeda]
April 16th, 2004 10:34 AM
jb Marlins are kicking some seroius ass!!! We're #1!!! There is always next year for the Cubs ....
[Edited by jb]
April 16th, 2004 10:35 AM
parmeda Don't get pushy hon...
April 16th, 2004 10:40 AM
jb
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Don't get pushy hon...

Pam...when are you coming to lovely S. Fla? Maybe for the Cubs series? We can have lots of fun!!!
[Edited by jb]
April 16th, 2004 10:43 AM
parmeda Ya know Josh, that thought has crossed my mind...
I have tix for several games here...(but, they're NEVER enough!) We're going to Milwaukee & St. Louis to see them and I'm trying to talk the 'ole boy into "venturing out" a little more, lol

We'll see. It's gonna be a long summer dear.
April 16th, 2004 12:04 PM
Joey

April 22nd, 2004 03:28 PM
GimmeExile Have Faith! It's gonna happen!

Nothing beats official news!

THE DAILY STAR

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Cooperstown trustees give OK to Dylan, Nelson

By Amy L. Ashbridge

Staff Writer

With the Cooperstown village trustees' blessing, Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson could appear in concert there this summer.

The village trustees voted 7-0 on Monday to approve the concert, said Village Clerk Laura Lee.

"Everybody clapped at the end," Lee said Tuesday.

About 50 people attended the village meeting, Lee said. She said there wasn't voiced opposition to the decision.

"They don't mind if the concert's there as long as their properties are protected," Lee said of the residents at the meeting.

The concert is slated to take place at Doubleday Field on Aug. 6.

Two key concerns about the concert were the effects on properties and noise problems.

Those problems can be resolved, Lee said.

"The village is going to make sure the properties are protected," she said.

To get around the village's noise ordinance, which is in force between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., organizers will make sure the concert ends by 11 p.m., Lee said.

"We'll look forward to a tremendous success," said Polly Renckens, executive director of the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce.

Renckens said the chamber would do whatever it could to make sure the concert positively affects Cooperstown and the surrounding area.

"We see a lot of potential," Renckens said Tuesday. "We're certainly excited to see what this could mean to the community."

The concert could bring people to Cooperstown who aren't attracted by baseball or opera, Renckens said.

"It's a group of people who can bring a lot to the community," she said.

The village board deserves credit for weighing all the factors about the concert, said Jeff Idelson, a spokesman for the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame is not associated with the concert, Idelson said, adding that he was speaking as a resident of Cooperstown.

"I have no doubt the concert's going to be a rousing success," he said Tuesday.

Up to 14,000 people could attend the concert.

Last week Idelson said the grandstands could hold about 10,000 and between 2,000 to 4,000 people could sit in the fields.

The concert would kick off a multi-city tour for Dylan and Nelson. The concerts will take place at minor-league baseball fields throughout the United States.

"You have two national icons who want to start their baseball tour in the spiritual home of baseball in Cooperstown," Idelson said. "It's a great place for the tour to begin."