ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "The Blues" by Scorsese on BBC Return to archive
April 10th, 2004 06:27 PM
Gazza Just a reminder for everyone in the UK that we're finally going to get the much heralded series of seven films on the history of the blues that was recently shown in the US and which is now available over here on DVD.

The satellite channel BBC FOUR will be showing the first film at 9 pm this Thursday (15th April). Directors of the seven films include Martin Scorsese, Wim Wenders and Clint Eastwood. It's shown again at 10.40 the following evening, right after the "Concert for George" Harrison tribute concert.
April 10th, 2004 07:04 PM
Bloozehound If your a fan of the blues, the Stones, classic rock or just an ordinary memeber of the civilized world, this series is required veiwing. Great tv, don't miss it.

The Stones make a few cameos. I think I remember the Keefmeister has an interview in one of the parts, (maybe the 60's british invasion episode w/ van morrison and jeff beck) I might be wrong.

BTW

I thought Eastwood and Wender's parts were the weakest in the series, but definitely interesting none the less.

April 10th, 2004 07:59 PM
glencar I liked the one that used old fifties video the best. It featured Skip James & others.
April 10th, 2004 11:58 PM
polksalad69 The JB Lenoir footage was great. Sad that he died in a car crash and seems to have gotten lost w/the exception of "Mama Talk to Your Daughter."
April 12th, 2004 03:46 PM
Saint Sway anyone else surprised that the Stones didnt recieve more prominent coverage in this? They are THE band responsible for bringing the blues music to white kids. They played such a hugh roll in bringing the blues to the mainstream. Not to mention all the bands that have admitted to learning the blues from Rolling Stones records and becoming aware of the blues because of the Stones.

I dont think its an overstatement to say that we might not be talking about the blues in 2004 if it wasnt for the Rolling Stones bringing the blues to the mainstream 42 years ago.

plus, isnt Scorcese a big Stones fan?
April 12th, 2004 04:05 PM
Gazza I'd imagine copyright reasons may be a factor in that.

Not having seen it yet, maybe I'm wrong but isnt the series meant to concentrate more on the history and especially the pioneers of blues music, or does it bring it up to the present day too?

April 12th, 2004 04:41 PM
Bloozehound Yes it's interesting to note that the Stones weren't featured more prominantly, they got referenced a couple of times via archival footage.

If your just in it to see the Stones or other whitebread blues boys you will be very dissapointed, they are only really featured in one episode out of 7. What you will get is a really great crash coarse & history lesson on what the blues was/is. It is about the pioneers, just not the 60's era ones of the jagger, clapton, mayall variety.

Not a whole lot your average blues fan probably doesn't know (delta - chicago - british invasion), but there is alot of great archival footage, and interviews with a wide assortment of key players.

Each segment sorta covers a certain era or aspect of the blues. It begins with Scorcese's episode with modern blues man Corey Harris doing the Taj Mahal-thing and tracing the roots of the african connection, spirituals, field hollers ect. I really liked this episode, they meet up with some guy who claims to be the african john lee hooker lol.

Then the episodes progress from the first american blues men of the delta, like skip james, robert johnson, blind lemon, up to the birth of the Chicago and Memphis blues of the 40's - 50's, and on to the 60's British invasion, and then to modern blues today (which I thought was one of the more interesting segments with Marshall Chess and Chuck D, Koko Taylor)

I'd really like to rewatch it, this was one of the best documentaries I've ever seen on the subject, but it could've used more Stones

[Edited by Bloozehound]
April 13th, 2004 02:38 AM
stonedinaustralia does jimi hendrix get a mention?? - he may have been a lot of things to a lot of people but there is no doubt(in my mind at least)that his music was firmly rooted in and part of the blues tradition - cf. "Red House", "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)", "Hear my Train-a-Coming"
April 15th, 2004 02:59 PM
Gazza just a quick reminder to everyone in the Uk that this is on Tv tonight
April 15th, 2004 04:26 PM
polksalad69
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
does jimi hendrix get a mention?? - he may have been a lot of things to a lot of people but there is no doubt(in my mind at least)that his music was firmly rooted in and part of the blues tradition - cf. "Red House", "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)", "Hear my Train-a-Coming"

I don't recall. I watched parts of most them. They were movies, weird movies some of them, not really a history/documentary on the blues.
April 15th, 2004 05:07 PM
Bloozehound I honestly don't recall either. I need to rewatch it.

Maybe Gazza will update you after he sees it, I'm curious what he and others thought of the series.

Yeah some segments were kinda offbeat & movie-ish, but I got what they were trying to convey and found it interesting (A couple segments we're kinda slow, but the others made up for it).

April 15th, 2004 07:01 PM
*ginda Does Jimi Hendrix get a mention?

Yes he does. After one of the segments (can't remember which one) there is some wonderful footage of him. I wasn't expecting it and had shut off the recorder by then.

Enjoy the series and please notice "the dance".
April 16th, 2004 11:15 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I honestly don't recall either. I need to rewatch it.

Maybe Gazza will update you after he sees it, I'm curious what he and others thought of the series.

Yeah some segments were kinda offbeat & movie-ish, but I got what they were trying to convey and found it interesting (A couple segments we're kinda slow, but the others made up for it).

I'll have to check them out of the library since I didn't see them in their entirety.
April 22nd, 2004 05:41 PM
stewed & Keefed WTF......Tom fucking Jones all over the programme tonight
April 22nd, 2004 08:09 PM
polksalad69
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:
WTF......Tom fucking Jones all over the programme tonight

oh yeah, I missed that one...
April 22nd, 2004 10:37 PM
*ginda I changed my mind about Tom Jones after that segment. What a voice. I came away feeling like a fool for dismissing him in years past just because I didn't like his choice (if he had any say at all) of material.
April 23rd, 2004 12:03 AM
FPM C10
quote:
*ginda wrote:
I changed my mind about Tom Jones after that segment. What a voice. I came away feeling like a fool for dismissing him in years past just because I didn't like his choice (if he had any say at all) of material.

Ginda! Or should I say *ginda! (Oh! Is the "*" a disguise you wear so nobody knows you snuck out of the treefort? If so, I will act like I don't know you...) Um, hello there, new poster named, er, *ginda, how are you? Can I buy you a V8 or some delicious Clamato? It's like tomato juice, but with the goodness of ...clams, for some reason.

Clamato it is! An excellent choice! I've put some olives on a little plastic sabre in yours. Oh, and four fingers of Stoli.

Hey...you weren't over here teaching the locals how to do The Dance, were you???

Clamato for everyone!

I loved hearing Tom Jones HOWL. What was he singing along to - Smokestack Lightning?

I wonder if there are any plans to rebroadcast the series in the US...I only taped one segment. Dumb me. The DVDs cost too much.

What? Oh. The bartender says we drank the last of the Clamato. Well, then....

Beefamato for everyone!
April 23rd, 2004 12:24 AM
polksalad69
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I wonder if there are any plans to rebroadcast the series in the US...I only taped one segment. Dumb me. The DVDs cost too much.

Check the library. I know there are plenty of copies in our system.
April 23rd, 2004 12:25 AM
*ginda Yes...I'm incognito! I hate that stupid asterisk. I was registered as Ginda then something happened and I had to re-register. The name Ginda was shown as already being taken so I quite lamely inserted * followed by the unassuming lowercase g. Thank goodness people can recognize my from my distinctive x avatar.

But you already KNEW that!

Clamato? Will it enhance or hinder "the dance"? Balance is everything.

April 23rd, 2004 12:52 AM
FPM C10
quote:
*ginda wrote:
Clamato? Will it enhance or hinder "the dance"? Balance is everything.

Little known fact - the jello molds employed in the proper execution of "The Dance" are filled with a mixture of Clamato and gelatin.

April 23rd, 2004 01:26 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Little known fact - the jello molds employed in the proper execution of "The Dance" are filled with a mixture of Clamato and gelatin.