ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1981 David McCough
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: so did any of you check out Gov't Mule..? (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 23rd, 2004 05:41 AM
mac_daddy well, did ya..?

I just received the show described below. I included the comments posted by the taper, who is one of the most knowledgeable around. Some of it gets a bit technical (if you are not into that stuff); I find it fascinating - ymmv...

anyway - here is the skinny. If y'all are interested, I'll vine a set of discs here...

Gov't Mule
The Moon (Tallahassee, FL)
February 10, 2004

Taped & Converted by: Doug Oade
Rig by: Ben Nelson
Tracked & Seeded by: Dan Henry [[email protected]]

Source: 90° X-Y AKG 483 -> Warm UA5 -> M1
Conversion: SV 3800 -> SEKD Prodif 96 pro -> Samplitude 5.58 -> Waves Q-10(EQ) x 2 & Waves IDR -> CD Wave -> FLAC Level 5

d1t01 -- crowd/tuning --
d1t02 Grinnin' In Your Face
d1t03 Bad Little Doggie
d1t04 Lay Your Burden Down
d1t05 Far Away
d1t06 Pygmy Twilight >
d1t07 Blind Man In The Dark
d1t08 Don't Step On The Grass, Sam
d1t09 Thelonious Beck
d1t10 Fool's Moon
d1t11 Thorazine Shuffle

d1t12 -- crowd/tuning --
d1t13 30 Days In The Hole
d2t01 Mule > I've Been Workin' > What Is Hip? > Jungle Boogie jam > Mule
d2t02 Rocking Horse
d2t03 Slow Happy Boys
d2t04 Sco-Mule
d2t05 Drums > Drums/Keys >
d2t06 Soulshine

d2t07 Out of the Rain

Saw them last night at the Moon in Tally Fl. Unbelievable show. I simply cannot get my mind around the notion that Warren actually gets better every time I see him play. It seems he is as good as anyone can be, he turns around and I find he just got better. I am so happy to learn the Dead woke up and Warren will now breath new life into a mighty band, good news !
Warren was using only half his rig and opened the show with an older guitar as his newest instrument did not make it in time. He showed up just in time for the show, his original flight got cancelled, so no sound check either, but Slim had it sounding righteous after two tunes. The best sound I have heard in the Moon since Phish played there in 93. We were treated to Warren exploring new realms to fill the void created by the absence of part of his rig, he was missing an amp using only the Soldano. He gave us new sounds and techniques, a most satisfying interplay between the magic Danny was weaving with his keyboards and Warrens 'new style' created by the challenge of his rig for the evening. Not only does his newest guitar have a depth of harmonics and nuance of tone that is joyful to listen to but the extra pedal work we got out of Warren resulted in a new and expanded pallet from the half of his rig he did have. I expect some of these licks will be heard again. Danny has no small job playing with Warren, but does so with the ease and grace of a master of his instrument. Hearing Warren play with Danny is pure bliss, the two know how to make magic happen. Andy treated us to bass playing at its finest. The original Mule rhythm sound of bass locked to drums with quartz crystal accuracy. Woody is grinning big time as he listens in on the new Mule, I just know it in my heart. Matt, like the entire band, was on fire. He delivered his usual level of perfection with a passion that only comes from those who live music. He and Warren emerged from tragedy with a level of power and grace that can only come from a Trial by Fire. A very impressive group of musicians defining new ground with a style that is unique to the Mule. Last night reminds me of what Levon Helm used to say when they reached great heights ..so hot they 'shit fire' !
Slim is touring with 5 DA78HRs in his rack so all this material is going to tape, makes me smile ! Perhaps the fire I heard from the Mule last night is a result of the time they are spending cutting tracks for a new album, I cannot wait to hear it and sincerely hope they will release it on SACD...
peace...Doug

edit :
I keep going back to the Mule show in my mind. I am spending the day in a music induced state of bliss. The sound of Warrens guitar is so enthralling, I do not want to let it go. There is so much depth in it. Seemingly endless layers of texture with beautiful complex harmonics leaves me feeling it must have opened a door into heaven. There is so very much to hear in that guitar, a beautiful resonance that I equate with fine acoustic instruments. Like a fractal or mother nature herself, the more you zoom in, the more details are revealed, seemingly without end. This was thru a dated PA that was rich with the effects of interference lobes. Even with that PA it offered so much musical detail with a sense of spaciousness that is every bit as breathtaking as a star lit night. This was just one instrument. Another thought that runs thru my mind is how much of a buzz listening to the Mule is. This is music at it's finest. Like a fine recipe where all the right ingredients in the correct proportions, properly cooked are needed to produce delectable goodies, Govt Mule blends the finest musical components into something truly satisfying. There are only a few bands that can do this for me and soon Warren will be in three of them ! This is a top notch buzz. I hope it last forever, the tapes will no doubt help.....

Hi !
I do not know when he got it, but it is a Gibson Les Paul with a cherry sunburst finish. He also has a 58 and 59 reissue Gibson Les Pauls as well as other Gibson axes. I was wondering why his guitar sounded so very good. I knew it was not the PA or the room ! I thought it was either Warren was doing something different or Slim knew something I needed to learn. I noticed his rig looked different while the Guitar did not, so I checked and found he only had half of it, but was still using the Soldano I knew well. So then I thought it was a new guitar or pickups and asked if he had done anything new since the last time I saw him play, Warren did say the guitar was a recent addition to his arsenal. He lit up immediately when I told him it had so much more depth and inner detail than I had heard before from his rig. He said he loved it, he could feel the beauty of it's resonance as he played it on stage.I did not get more details as the conversation drifted towards the changes in style and technique his limited gear selection produced. I simply loved what he was doing with the sounds Danny was getting off his rig. That interplay was amazing as was what Matt and Andy had going on, it really was every bit as good as what Woody could do with Matt, but with a style unique to Andy. It all came together in a way only a band of masters can pull off. The very best art has to offer, a deep and powerful energy that somehow makes us more human. It does not hurt to place an occasional barrier in front of anyone, it often brings out our best. I felt like this was the case with that show. GM is really something special, they have moved to a new level of skill. I get really high just listening to them play, no chemicals needed. Interesting how this happens, certain music opens up pathways in the brain that lead to a sense of bliss, I love it ! I was too lame to bring a rig, I feared the sound of that venue and wanted to have fun, which I did. There were several good rigs there, Ben Nelson had his 483 - Warm UA5 rig, there were two pairs of Neumanns, Schoeps 4Vs, more AKGs and of course, Nak 300s. If I can do anything with Ben's data ( I ran my deck out of him, I was not totally stupid, just too lame to bring mics, I keep a DAT walkman in my ride for emergencies like this one) I will move it to our web server and place it up for grabs. I feel like it is worth hearing just to hear what Warren was doing new and different, really cool sounds we are not used to hearing from him.
Peace...Doug

[Edited by mac_daddy]
February 23rd, 2004 10:09 AM
Lazy Bones You've got my interest in a vine/tree/weed...

They're also playing in this year's Bonnaroo Festival in Tennessee along with Dylan, The Dead, among others.

http://www.bonnaroo.com/swf-txt/base.html

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
February 23rd, 2004 04:09 PM
Saint Sway Mule rules! Unbelieveable live band. Very talented bunch. Warren is a mind blowing slide guitarist with a very soulful southern bloozy voice. And the drummer, Matt Apts, combines Watts precision with Bonhams power. Throw in ex-Black Crowes bassist Andy Hess and keyboardist Danny Louis and you have a gathering of talent onstage that may be unbeatable. These guys can PLAY. Check em out. They tore the roof off the Beacon Theatre with a smoldering version of "Sympathy For The Devil" and "How Many More Years".

Mule is one of the few bands these days that always keeps me coming back for more

MacDaddy,
Warren Haynes showed up at Rich Robinson's show in NY last month. Unfortunately he didnt sit in. One of the rare times he decided to take a night off. Funny thing was that the crew at the venue had no idea who he was and wasnt going to let him in bc the show was completely sold out. I had to come over and sneak him in. When security questioned who he was, I got a kick out of seeing the look on the guys face when I said "oh, hes the guitarist from the Allman Brothers"
February 23rd, 2004 04:13 PM
mac_daddy glad there is a bit of interest in this one...

LB - I will get these out this week to you...

good to hear from ya, Saint Sway. you should sign up to get the discs from Lazy Bones when he is finished with them. I will also track down the Beacon Theater show for you - what was the date..?

classic about Warren at RRobinson's show. Has the official recording been released yet..?
February 23rd, 2004 04:14 PM
mac_daddy 0. mac_daddy
1. Lazy Bones
February 23rd, 2004 06:29 PM
ResidentMule yeah, I've been a fan of them for a while. saw them in october and almost caught them last thursday
that boot sounds good. i'll have to check and see if a buddy of mine has it though
February 24th, 2004 01:20 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

good to hear from ya, Saint Sway. you should sign up to get the discs from Lazy Bones when he is finished with them. I will also track down the Beacon Theater show for you - what was the date..?

classic about Warren at RRobinson's show. Has the official recording been released yet..?

I'm gonna pass on signing up for this one only bc I'm trying to cut back on my boots - I'm overwhelmed as it is. But I'd be happy to send a Mule show I think you'll dig your way - so PM me

the date on the Mule show with Sympathy is New Years Eve 12/31/03. But I'm pretty sure I can find a copy - I know some tapers that were there

Rich Robinsons recorded show will be out in a few weeks. They hit some snags with the logistics of putting something like this out but they promise it will be out shortly. I'll keep you posted.
February 24th, 2004 03:41 PM
ResidentMule ok, I'm in for it
I also have 2 more Mule boots (10/10 & 10/18/03) if anyone is interested

0. mac_daddy
1. Lazy Bones
2. ResidentMule
February 24th, 2004 04:10 PM
Saint Sway the set lists for 10/10/03 & 10/18/03 look dope! I'm interestd in those for sure
February 24th, 2004 07:44 PM
mac_daddy Gov't Mule
2003-12-31 [WEDNESDAY]
Beacon Theater, New York, NY

recorded by Gary Comley, Portland, ME

source: [FOB/ROC clamped to loge balcony] Neumann KM-150> Apogee MiniMe (16b/48kHz)> Sony PCM-M1
lineage: Sony PCM-M1> Midiman C03 (coax>optical)> PowerMac G5. Tracked/fades added/resampled in Peak 4.01. Converted to FLAC using MacFLAC. SBE's fixed with shntool.

Spin Doctors opened

DISC ONE
[set one]
01 Game Face
02 Empty Pages
03 Thelonius Beck
04 She Said, She Said
05 Tomorrow Never Knows
06 Lay Your Burden Down
07 Mother Earth
08 World Gone Wild
09 Fallen Down (w/ countdown)

DISC TWO
01 Sympathy for the Devil
- w/ Jimmy Vivino on shaker and backing vocals
02 I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide
03 For What It's Worth
- w/ Jimmy Vivino on keyboard and backing vocals
[set two]
04 Drivin' Rain
05 Mr. Big
06 I Think You Know What I Mean
07 Lay of the Sunflower
08 Ain't Superstitious
- w/ Jimmy Vivino on guitar and backing vocals

DISC THREE
01 Smokestack Lightning
- w/ Eric Schenkman (of the Spin Doctors) on guitar
02 Matt
03 Devil Likes It Slow
04 Far Away
05 Young Man Blues/Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
[encore]
06 Wish You Were Here
February 24th, 2004 07:53 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
the set lists for 10/10/03 & 10/18/03 look dope! I'm interestd in those for sure

Sway, wanna trade for them? I could vine them, but I don't know how many people will want them. I do have several more on the way I can let you know about (+the 10/10 show started with the second album played entirely - I'm getting the shows where they played the 1st and 3rd albums all the way too, and a few others)

why don't you drop me an email
[email protected]
February 24th, 2004 08:01 PM
polksalad69 Never seen Mule. Saw Warren sit in w/Magic Slim once in Chicago. I know there's a boot of that out there. We know Warren can play but he sure can play the blues. He just picked up Jake Dawson's guitar and played it like it was his. Slim was so fired up that night.
February 24th, 2004 08:12 PM
mac_daddy how about finding a recording of when they played the NAMM show down in Anaheim (95 or 96)..? that was the first time I ever saw the Mule, or had even heard of them...
February 24th, 2004 08:42 PM
polksalad69
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
how about finding a recording of when they played the NAMM show down in Anaheim (95 or 96)..? that was the first time I ever saw the Mule, or had even heard of them...

How long they been around? I wanna say it was '96 when I saw Warren. He stopped by BLUES ETC when the Allman Bros where in town. Is there a recording of what you speak of?
February 24th, 2004 10:03 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
ok, I'm in for it
I also have 2 more Mule boots (10/10 & 10/18/03) if anyone is interested

The Danforth Music Hall, Toronto show (18th October) is terrific! Martha can attest to that. My copy is from the taper - Audio Archives Production. If anyone needs the artwork, PM me with your email addy and I'll scan and forward.

the setlist:
1st Set: Grinnin' In Your Face, Thorazine Shuffle, Banks Of The Deep End, Sco-Mule *, I Believe, Temporary Saint, No Need To Suffer, World Gone Wild, Woke Up This Morning (1), Dreams (2)
2nd Set: Soulshine > Trampled Under Foot, Towering Fool, Blind Man In The Dark, Trouble Every Day > Drums, Raven Black Night, Mule > Bass jam > Mule
Encore: Cortez The Killer

Setlist Notes: (1) Chris Robinson on vocals and harmonica and Paul Stacey on guitar; (2) Chris Robinson on vocals and Paul Stacey on guitar; * contains Oye Como Va tease

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
February 24th, 2004 10:06 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
Sway, wanna trade for them? I could vine them, but I don't know how many people will want them.

I, for one, am interested in the 10th October show...
February 25th, 2004 02:10 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! Warren is one fucking awesome guitarist for sure! His slide playing is great and I don't think there's a player on the scene that can deliver like he does, plus he has a great voice to boot! I've seen him play several times lately with Phil Lesh & Friends and he never stops amazing me. He will certainly have a load to carry this summer when he tours with The Dead, Allman Brothers and Mule. In some cities ABB and Mule will be opening up for The Dead. Talk about a workhorse! He is truly committed to the art of live music and I can't wait until the shows this summer to watch him rip it up!
February 25th, 2004 03:17 AM
Voodoo Stones Another band to check from the Great White North is Big Sugar. It was the best Canadian live band...excellent audience tapes around...
For those in Texas, you might want to check Gordie Johnson (Big Sugar lead) new band Grady !! Gordie is an amazing guitar player..He is using Gibson double neck !
February 25th, 2004 10:08 AM
mac_daddy I dont see a 10/10 that circulates...

I see a schoeps > minime source of the 18th, though...

more info

[Edited by mac_daddy]
February 25th, 2004 10:29 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Voodoo Stones wrote:
Another band to check from the Great White North is Big Sugar. It was the best Canadian live band...excellent audience tapes around...
For those in Texas, you might want to check Gordie Johnson (Big Sugar lead) new band Grady !! Gordie is an amazing guitar player..He is using Gibson double neck !

Amen, VS! I (JSinWloo, Voo from the board) believe they're the best thing to come outta Canada - 2nd only to Neil. I have a couple Grady (besides Gordie, also with Chris Layton from Double Trouble) shows from, I think, Austin. Not as in-yer-face as Big Sugar was, but they cover several Big Sugar tunes and are nicely done.
February 25th, 2004 11:43 AM
ResidentMule well, anyone interested in those shows (or the others I'm getting) drop me an email

[email protected]
February 28th, 2004 09:12 PM
Cant Catch Me Mac_Daddy:

Hell yeah, I'm interested in getting a copy if you tree it. I love Gov't Mule -- have all their albums except the latest, Deepest End, and no boots at all.

Regards,

CCM

0. mac_daddy
1. Lazy Bones
2. ResidentMule
3. Cant Catch Me

February 29th, 2004 01:11 PM
polksalad69 I still don't care about his blues rock. It's his blues on this man's guitar that impressed the hell out of me.

March 1st, 2004 05:54 PM
ResidentMule for anyone interested, I just got another Mule boot 11/13/03

its the closing night of the Rebirth of the Mule tour - the first set they do their whole first album and the second set they do a bunch of stuff with guests. Chris Robinson sings on most of them
also have 10/10/03 (opening night where they played Dose album)
and 10/18/03

soon to be getting the 'Life Before Insanity' set
March 1st, 2004 08:06 PM
mac_daddy this is the show I am looking for (my first Gov't Mule show)...

Park At The Inn (Anaheim, CA)
January 20, 1996

Mule
Temporary Saint >>
Rocking Horse >>
Mr. Big
Kind Of Bird
Don't Step On The Grass, Sam
Painted Silver Light
The Same Thing >>
Trane >>
Eternity's Breath jam >>
St. Stephen Jam
Grinnin' In Your Face >>
Pygmy Twylyte >>
Blind Man In The Dark

Just Got Paid (encore)
March 8th, 2004 11:19 PM
mac_daddy 0. mac_daddy - sent 3/9
1. Lazy Bones
2. ResidentMule
3. Cant Catch Me
March 15th, 2004 07:39 PM
mac_daddy actually - it will be sent tomorrow (sorry about that, good intentions didn't get the package off last week ).

____

just rec'd this, and am listening now.

It smokes!

Gov't Mule
Wednesday, September 22, 1999
Georgia Theater
Athens, GA

Source: AKG 481 > OADE M248 > SBM-1 > DAT @48khz

by Julian Eldridge

Transfer: Fostex D5 > Audio Magic Presto II (AES/EBU) > Zefiro ZA2 > Soundforge 5.0 > CD Wave 1.73 > SHNv3.5.1

by Tom Watkins

1st gen clone used in above transfer provided by JJ Clifton

-- One Set (182:07) --

Disc 1 73:00

01 Crowd/Tuning 01:14
02 Thorazine Shuffle 09:56
03 Bad Little Doggie 03:47
04 Lay Your Burden Down 06:35
05 Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys*+ 14:30
06 Soulshine* 09:13
07 Falling Down*+ 08:58
08 Freeway Jam**+ 18:47

Disc 2 56:36

01 Hottentot***+ 12:33
02 Kind Of Bird*** 19:57
03 Pass The Peas*** 11:58
04 Tom Thumb***+ 12:07

Disc 3 52:31

01 Spanish Moon*** 18:05
-- Encore --
02 Devil Likes It Slow**** 12:56
03 Afro Blue**** 21:30

Musicians:

Warren Haynes - guitar
Allen Woody - bass
Matt Abts - drums

* with Dr. Dan Matrazzo on keyboards
** with Jimmy Herring on guitar & Dr. Dan
*** with John Scofield on guitar & Dr. Dan
**** with John, Jimmy & Dr. Dan

+1st time played

[Edited by mac_daddy]
March 24th, 2004 12:59 PM
mac_daddy bad news/good news...

bad news: I neglected to send this until today...

good news: I included the September 1999 show (details above) in the vine

_____

to sign up, simply copy these instructions and the following list, adding your name to the bottom...

0. mac_daddy sent 3/24
1. Lazy Bones
2. ResidentMule
3. Cant Catch Me

_____
_____

check this one out:

Gov't Mule
Rivalry's on Cherry (Macon, GA)
June 11th 1994

Best available sources
cd -> EAC -> flac
Bob Bradshaw remaster

+++ World Premiere Show +++

Setlist:
Disc 1:
01. radio ad
02. intro
03. Rockin' Horse->
04. Blind Man In The Dark->
05. Mr. Big
06. Mother Earth
07. The Same Thing
08. Left Coast Groovies->
09. World Of Difference
10. End Of The Line
11. Monkey Hill
12. Just Got Paid

Disc 2:
Encore:
01. intro
02. Gambler's Roll
03. tuning
04. Yonder Wall*->
05. Wang Dang Doodle*

Notes:

* w/ Derek Trucks & T. Brooks on slide guitar

[Edited by mac_daddy]
March 24th, 2004 07:57 PM
Lazy Bones Lol..that's were it is. I added it to my trade list as "coming soon". Couldn't remember were the heck it was coming from. Thanks for keeping me posted, mac!

Guess I should create a "might come" icon, too...
April 2nd, 2004 08:27 PM
mac_daddy ^
Page: 1 2