ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Compilation and Art by Sir Stonesalot - Hosting by L&A
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Brain letter 40 y ago - just fun to read Return to archive
04-26-03 05:35 PM
Kjell 102, Edith Grove
London SW.10

Dear Sir.
I am writing on behalf of the �Rollin� Stones� Rhythm and Blues band. We have noticed recently in the musical press that you are seeking fresh talent for �Jazz Club�.
We have West- End residencies at the Flamingo jazz club on Mondays, and at the Marquee jazz club on Thursdays, as well as several other suburban residencies. We already have a large following in the London area, and in view of vast increase of interest in Rhythm and Blues in Britain, an exceptionally good future has been predicted for us by many people.
Our front line consists of:
Vocal + harmonica (electric), and two guitars, supported by a rhythm section comprising bass, piano, and drums. Our musical policy is simply to produce an authentic Chicago Rhythm and Blues sound, using material of such R+B �greats� as Muddy Waters, Howlin� Wolf, Bo Diddley, Jimmy Read, and many others.
We wonder if you could possibly arrange for us an audition.
We look forward eagerly to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully,
Brian Jones.

Note: well it is a letter written with Brain , but by Brian
[Edited by Kjell]
04-26-03 06:28 PM
Monkey Woman Electric harmonica??
04-26-03 09:57 PM
Kjell
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Electric harmonica??

it might be the vocal that's electric ! Who knows
04-27-03 01:28 AM
vampire and what about an interview?
It�s funny & also interesting...check the last question...

Brian Jones Radio Interview Transcript
Interview appears on Brian Jones Interview Shaped CD
� UFO MUSIC LTD, Germany.

Brian: This is Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones asking you to stay tuned for Ed Roody's coverage of The Rolling Stones. Announcer: Brian Jones is sometimes called Rolling Jones by his fans and he plays rhythm guitar and harmonica with the group. Though he has had no musical training. He was born on February 22, 1944 in Cheltenham, England and his father is a former school principal or as they say, headmaster. He is quite extroverted and extremely exuberant when anything happens that makes him happy or that he considers funny. He is very friendly and most likely the most outspoken of the Rolling Stones.
Ed Roody: What specific difference would you say is there between the Rolling Stones and the other British groups up to this point?
Brian: Well, the essential difference between ourselves and the British groups that are well known in the United States at the moment is really that we are the first to really have a strong sort of Negro rhythm and blues influence. We haven't adapted our music from a watered down form of Rhythm and Blues and Rock and Roll such as the white American Rock and Roll. We've adapted our music from the early blues form. And actually, most of the groups in England are copying us whereas they used to copy the Beatles.
Ed Roody: Yeah, I can't help but agree with you. A great many r & b sounds are coming out of England at this point. Do you write any of the material that you sing?
Brian: Well, yes we a write a lot of it actually. We want to appear under the psuedonym Nanker Phelge written by all of us together. And Mick and Keith write a lot. And- uh- others of us do write, but we haven't had anything recorded by this group.
Ed Roody: I see. Could you account for the phenomenal success you have had here in America and around the world. Why specifially have the Rolling Stones become such a fantasic success?
Brian: We just sort of provided the right thing at the right time. We come along with a very raw sort of music where everything was rather sweet. You know, things were getting sort of sloppy and sentimental --in England they were, anyway, and I believe so in America, too. Sort of Cliff Richard sort of thing. And it was very soft sweet music and a new sort of tough element seemed to be growing up. I don't mean sort of tough kids. But a new sort of vital urge seemed to be growing up amongst the young people. And we provided the music that had that same sort of vitality. And we came along at the right time with the right thing and so it just sort of happened. It hasn't happened all that quickly! We've been around in England for about 18 months now. Some groups make big records with their first ones. We haven't. You know, it's like in America it's taking time to build.
Ed Roody: Yes, I am aware of that. And as a matter of fact, there seems to be a great deal of resistence to the group, how would you account for that?
Brian: Well I suppose there's always resistence to something new, isn't there. Always. Always. There's always reaction, isn't there. To every sort of action there's a reaction. It's true. It's the same with pop music.
Ed Roody: I've read many many magazine articles on the Rolling Stones that, very very uniquely for a British group are practically libelous. I've never seen any British group described the way you have been. Now, I've met the fellas they re all clean-cut looking boys. You've got very long hair, but you certainly don't look dirty. This is an allegation I have read several times in the magazines and I can't understand it. Can you do us a favor and try to explain this to me and try to explain this to our listeners?
Brian: It's very difficult really. All I can do is deny and say I am--I'm speaking for myself--I resent being called dirty and if any one called me dirty to my face I wouldn't take it lying down. So when you read it in magazines there's very little you can do. We're really sort of at the mercy of magazine writers. What they write, people believe. And they've written so much dirty rubbish about us, I do feel very resentful of it. But I just hope this time around we can show people that we're not dirty, we're not really scruffy, and we're not thick.
Ed Roody: Right. As A matter of fact appearance wise and your mode of dress is not unlike the Beatles.
Brian: It's English so... and we're English.
Ed Roody: The length of your hair is longer, is it not?
Brian: Well, a lot of young people have long hair this way in England. Not all the young people. It's pretty well acepted. So if people want to grow their hair long, they're not laughed at anymore.
Ed Roody: They say the way to tell the difference between a boy and a girl in England, since they both have long hair and tight pants, is if the hair is longer and the pants are tighter, it's a boy.
Brian: Well, there you go...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003