ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Compilation and Art by Sir Stonesalot - Hosting by L&A
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: '73 Header Photo Return to archive
04-23-03 10:31 AM
Nellcote Yes, from the memorable tour.

Mick in his Judy Garland phase.

Look @ the Tounge on Bill's bass. Think he's sold that bass on his web site yet?
04-23-03 11:05 AM
parmeda Mick looks great...blue is definately his color!
04-23-03 11:08 AM
Zeeta It matches his eyeshadow perfectly!
04-23-03 11:24 AM
steel driving hammer I like that blue jacket he wore to start the Licks tour.

04-23-03 12:24 PM
sandrew I've never seen Keith with the white SG before.
04-23-03 12:26 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
sandrew wrote:
I've never seen Keith with the white SG before.

I've never seen Taylor w/ a Tele.
04-23-03 01:18 PM
jb Simply the greatest band during their prime....
04-23-03 03:26 PM
Half Nanker
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

I've never seen Taylor w/ a Tele.

...but he's not playing a Tele? That's a Les Paul.
04-23-03 09:14 PM
Bluzian Exactly, where's the Tele??? And yes, since when or where
did Keith snag that White SG? Can anyone make a guess at
one song they are playing? Midnight Rambler?? I was always
under the assumption that Keith used that lespaul Jr for
the Rambler?? Where was this pic taken? Germany??

Anyone with info, please reply!

Cheers,
Ian

PS: And to re-iterate, nor have I ever seen Taylor play
anything BUT GIBSONS!!!!!
04-23-03 09:34 PM
beer i think Keith played that white SG for Midnight Rambler in '73. Mathijs knows for sure. Check his site.

Mick Taylor did play a Telecaster sometimes in 69. He appeared with the telecaster for Honky Tonk Women on the Ed Sullivan show, though the band was miming to the studio track. Keith plays that White SG in the "Silver Train" video.
04-23-03 10:37 PM
stoneslib Nice Mick Nic. pic.

04-23-03 11:13 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Half Nanker wrote:
...but he's not playing a Tele? That's a Les Paul.

I know he's not playing a Tele.

I just never seen him playing a Tele before!

The Tele is my fave style guitars.

I like the sound of it, and most important, the body...

04-24-03 04:36 AM
Mathijs The header picture is most probably taken at either the Perth or Sydney shows in late February 1973. When the Stones opened the Winter Tour, Bill played the Gibson EB3 bass (as evidenced by pictures of the New Zealand show (http://site.tekotago.ac.nz/staff/lgodman/bedrock/STONES/Stone1.html).

About halfway through the tour, Bill decided to return to the Ampeg Dan Armstrong Lucite bass, for unknown to me reasons. For the 1973 European tour, Bill played the Gibson EB3 bass again.

Keith first appeared with a 1962 SG Custom on the Nicaraguan Benefit Concert to play Midnight Rambler as an encore. He used this guitar throughout the entire Winter Tour on most probably Midnight Rambler only. He used this guitar again on the video of Dancing With Mr. D, shot on July 17, 1973. I have not seen any appearance of this guitar after this date. This guitar is said to be on display at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas, but as with most guitars owned by the RThe header picture is most probably taken at either the Perth or Sydney shows in late February 1973. When the Stones opened the Winter Tour, Bill played the Gibson EB3 bass (as evidenced by pictures of the New Zealand show (http://site.tekotago.ac.nz/staff/lgodman/bedrock/STONES/Stone1.html).

About halfway through the tour, Bill decided to return to the Ampeg Dan Armstrong Lucite bass, for unknown to me reasons. For the 1973 European tour, Bill played the Gibson EB3 bass again.

Keith first appeared with a 1962 SG Custom on the Nicaraguan Benefit Concert to play Midnight Rambler as an encore. He used this guitar throughout the entire Winter Tour on most probably Midnight Rambler only. He used this guitar again on the video of Dancing With Mr. D, shot on July 17, 1973. I have not seen any appearance of this guitar after this date. HR chain, it is a fake. A vintage Gibson played by Keith in the 60's and 70's commend high prices, up to $200.000.

Mathijs
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Rolling Stones in Review

URL: http://stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl/
E-Mail: [email protected]

Bootlegs for Sale
The Lowdown on the Guitars of Keith Richards
Bootleg Reviews
Brussels Affair 1973
Vinyl Gang Productions / The Swingin' Pig
----------------------------------------------------------------
04-24-03 04:45 AM
Moonisup " vintage Gibson played by Keith in the 60's and 70's commend high prices, up to $200.000."

why are these prices THAT high?

Rik
04-24-03 05:32 AM
Mathijs Because there is a large collectors market for vintage guitars played or owned by famous people. Both keith's Bigsby equipped 1958 les Paul (TAMI Show) and his famous Les Paul Custom (painted with moons and daggers) as used from 1968 until 1971 are in London Denmark Street collectors hands, and are sold for about $150.000 each. Eric Clapton's Brownie Stratocaster was sold for $450.000, Jimi Hendrix Start's are worth wel over $200.000 etcetera.

There aren't many Keith Richards guitars on the market, as he keeps them well protected. But about 15 guitars were stolen from the Nellcote villa in 1971, and some of these have shown up on the market.

Mathijs
04-24-03 06:52 AM
Moonisup thanks

Demand and suply
04-24-03 07:47 AM
fmk438j I think Mathjis is right.

(i just edited out some info as I think I made a mistake but....)

Also, the AUS shows were outdoor, and it looks like this shot is outdoors, looking at the lights behind.

And most telling, Mick's hair was only that short in AUS '73. In Europe it was much longer.

[Edited by fmk438j]
[Edited by fmk438j]
04-24-03 09:58 AM
sammy davis jr. Looks like the Nicaraguan benefit show to me....
04-24-03 10:57 AM
Mathijs Sammy Davis: I have to agree with you! Jagger's stripped down appearence had me fooled, and it indeed is the Nicaragua benefit. On Harold Colson's site there's a description of the Stones clothes (note Bill Wyman):

http://stoneslib3.homestead.com/files/nic_robinson3.jpg

But this is further proof of Colson's study that Midnight Rambler was played at the Benefit!

Mathijs
04-24-03 11:20 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I was not sure about the date and venue but Neal didn't shoot outside the US during that period, so Germany, Australia and NZ are out of the possibilties, but now that we have proofs, it's the Nicaraguan Earthquake Benefit Concert, the opening show of the winter tour on January 18, 1973 at the Inglewood Forum in LA, CA

You're living encyclopedias, you're the best!

1973 - Neal Preston
04-24-03 11:23 PM
stoneslib Yes, this is most definitely a Nicaragua Benefit pic. Not only are the clothes themselves giveaways to the venue, so is the photographer credit: N. Preston is an LA-based shooter.
04-24-03 11:52 PM
Bluzian WOW!! You guys are truly fucking amazing!!!! The pics have
been brilliant and the accuracy on concerts and clothing
and guitars and tunes it just blows my mind!!! Fabulous!!
Thank you so much. And I had never seen any of those NZ
pics before. Keith looks pretty wasted eh?? However, why
the mirrored pics?

Cheers,
Ian

PS: out of curiousity, I always wondered if the snakeskin
boots that Keith wears on the '69 tour, were they Brians
(from the RNR circus??) Can you confirm this one?? ;-)

04-24-03 11:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Well Stoneslib sent me a couple of pix from NZ 1973, I can't upload them to the website due to some temporary problems but soon they well see the light of day.

I agree and I repeat: You're living encyclopedias, you're the best!

I remember one day I just put the photo and the author, I knew the date, venue etc. Then during the day a discussion was held in the same way we had with this thread, the conclusions were exact, and the way the concusion was achieved was like a live on-line research with true experts

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003