ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Compilation and Art by Sir Stonesalot - Hosting by L&A
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Last Time Was Done The First Time By Blind Boys Of Alabama Return to archive
04-22-03 12:10 PM
CS When is a Rolling Stones song not a Rolling Stone song? When it is a Blind Boys of Alabama song.

It appears the Jagger / Richard credit on the Rolling Stones classic 'The Last Time' may have left off a name or two. Clarence Fountain of Blind Boys of Alabama says he wrote it but he doesn't seem to be after The Stones to make amends.

"The Rolling Stones cut one of my tunes, This May Be the Last Time" Clarence tells Undercover News. "He was talking about his woman, but I was talkin' about the Lord you know? I was talkin' about things that affect us and things that we were singing about, it may be the last time we ever prayed together. It may be the last time we ever sang together. It may be the last time we ever moaned together and they came over with a different version, and they was talkin' about their woman and I was talkin' about the Lord. So that's the difference".

Blind Boys of Alabama have included a new version of The Last Time on their Spirit Of the Century album. They formed in 1939, 14 years before Mick Jagger was even born.

By Paul Cashmere

04-22-03 12:15 PM
Jumacfly Are they the same guys that wrote Undercover of the night???
04-22-03 12:19 PM
CS The full intervire at http://www.undercover.com.au/idol/blindboysofalabama.html
04-22-03 12:23 PM
steel driving hammer Aerosmith ripped off the Stones by doing Sweet Emotion.

If you listen close, it's no different than Monkey Man.
04-22-03 12:32 PM
Lazy Bones Bill Wyman is quite knowledgable of dated material like this. His thoughts re: this would be interesting. Not that Bill's recommendations would have had bearing when crediting The Last Time any way.

Interesting!
04-22-03 12:45 PM
stonedinaustralia well just lately i've been loving the the last time by the staple singers (blame it on the stones..my dip's been licked)

so i don't know about these blind boys?.. tho i've heard their go at "just wanna see his face"... it's nothing on the stones (imo)..i mean, why do the bother??

i'd say anyone who claims $$ rights in this stuff better dial 999

04-23-03 05:23 PM
quackenbush The Stones have ripped off lots of other artists ideas, so it is entirely possible that they ripped off the Blind Boys without giving them credit. Take a look at your copies of Let it Bleed, and you'll see that they credit "Love in Vain" to Traditional and not Robert Johnson.
04-23-03 06:45 PM
Child of the Moon I knwo that both Keith and Bill have admitted to taking the basic idea of the song - this could be the last time. But they've both said thet the Blind Boys' version is about God, and their version os about a chick. I thought this was semi-common knowledge.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003