ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Compilation and Art by Sir Stonesalot - Hosting by L&A
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: best live wild horses Return to archive
04-20-03 11:01 AM
cwatts07644 I think the 75 version was great, woody was in great form
And mick was really singing with passion and keith and billy
did nice back up vocals
04-21-03 11:28 AM
voodoopug I gotta disagree with you on that one. In 75, MIck's voice was downright horrible. The original version of that song was not done justice on that tour. You have to look to the more recent renderings of that song to really get some high quality performances. This tour may have the best version although i do remember enjoying the 1994 version in Soldier field as well.

To get an excellent sampling of how this song is supposed to be played, pop in the bootleg cd of the Detroit 2002 show, a pure masterpiece.
04-21-03 01:44 PM
Lazy Bones Read my mind, Voodoopug. I was at that 12 October show at Ford Field in Detroit and it was magical! In fact, that show still lies as one of my favourites - and the key is that it was an (indoor) stadium!. The sound was incredible. They had a 7-day rest after the Hartford show (5 October) and they had a tremendous amount of energy. Charlie had a ear-to-ear grin on all night. Here's the IORR link with setlist and reviews from that great show.

http://www.iorr.org/tour02/detroit.htm
04-21-03 04:43 PM
voodoopug I was there too, were you at the preparty at Hockeytown to see us perform on the roof?

it was a great stones show for sure!
04-21-03 06:46 PM
telecaster
quote:
cwatts07644 wrote:
I think the 75 version was great, woody was in great form
And mick was really singing with passion and keith and billy
did nice back up vocals

I agree, 75 version is amazing. Raw raw raw
04-21-03 06:58 PM
Honky Tonk Man Best version i have heard is from Knebworth 76. Ronnies guitar is breathtaking. I doubt Taylor could really of done it any better live. Of course the studio version can't be touched, but im going to go for any version from 75-76

Alex
04-22-03 04:44 AM
dealer squealing Stockholm 3 of June 1995, awesome version!
04-22-03 07:43 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
I was there too, were you at the preparty at Hockeytown to see us perform on the roof?

it was a great stones show for sure!

Ok..lights are coming on. The Voodoopug's, from Chicago, right?

I was indeed. A fine party put together by Cindy! Were you also at Hotel Pontchartrain after the show for a few drinks? They was maybe 10 or 12 of us. Pardon my memory, which band memeber were you?
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
04-23-03 03:03 AM
Madafaka Buenos Aires version. I was very close to Mick.
04-23-03 10:12 AM
voodoopug Yeah, I was at the hotel bar afterwards...nice job by cindyp! I am the singer of The Voodoo Pugs (www.geocities.com/thevoodoopugs)
04-23-03 10:23 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Yeah, I was at the hotel bar afterwards...nice job by cindyp! I am the singer of The Voodoo Pugs (www.geocities.com/thevoodoopugs)

Got it. Glasses. I have a picture I took of the crew at that table somewhere. I'll post it if I find. I had no idea you were a RO member. Very good!
04-23-03 10:27 AM
voodoopug been an RO member for over a year now and loved every minute of it!
04-24-03 08:10 AM
Doxa About the '75 version: I just have the vinyl "Stereo Baby" of one of the MSG shows. (They play the first version of "Cherry Oh Baby" in that too). So my question is: has Mick changed the lyrics to "Wild Horses". I mean, the first couple of lines such as "Things you�ve wanted, I bought them for you" sounds so odd. He makes such a strange noise that I can not make any sense. I like the rawness of that version, but I find that "passion"" more like a joke: Jagger�s making fun of the number. But I like; it�s as dirty and original as the Ronnie Wood inspired Stones can get. (Not like the Chuck Leavell inspired juke box version of this band).

So any English-spoken people, can you help me with this.

Doxa
04-24-03 08:37 AM
stonedinaustralia LA '75 Sunday _ "who went to church" - ronnies solo is the equal of anyhting of MT

as an aside, i think a lot of the MT/RW argument sees people (unwittingly) arguing about sound as opposed to technique - MT's phat and warm gibson tones as opposed to the "thinner" fender sound ronnie favours - technically - i.e. how fast can they move their fingers and how inventive are their melodic ideas well, imo, there's not a lot of difference between them

anyway - that LA version of WH - brilliant - notwithstanding keith pulls a major duff chord change on (i think) the second chorus

and apropos the talk of pedal effects on the white stripes thread both K & R use them to briliant and full effect on this take... K sounds like some kind of phase - ronnie in the solo if not a wah wah pedal then something similiar(mathjis can you shed any light on this?? tia)
04-24-03 01:11 PM
jb LA 75.......a very sad song.
04-24-03 03:03 PM
Child of the Moon When I first heard the LA '75 version, I wasn't sure what I was listening to. Mick makes that comment, "A sad, sad song..." Then Keith plays this downright eerie phased guitar intro that doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before. It wasn't until Mick sort of busked the words, "Chiiiiildhood livayng..." that I knew what I was hearing. I think, on a purely instrumental level, the '75 versions of the song were on another playing field - not beautiful like the original, but in a different sort of way. I think it's the fact that's it's so heavily rearranged, especially on Keith's part, and that's why I like it so much. It sounds very experimental, seeing as how they hadn't played the track live (I'm told) since the opening show of the '71 tour. Of course Ronnie nails the solo, on this version and on others that I've heard. Yes, I'm still very fond of how the band treated this song on that tour.

Having said that, I am still quite unsatisfied with every version I've heard so far from that tour because of Jagger. I really can't stand what he did to "Wild Horses" in '75. He was way into his "pretty boy coked-up I wanna be a soul singer" phase, and the song suffers because of it. I don't hear passion in his vocal, not like on the original version or most subsequent versions. Y'know what bugs me the most about LA '75? Jagger's ebonics lesson: "The things you 'axed' fo'... I bought them for you." Blech.

While Chuck Leavell's bullshit keyboard playing hampers it a little bit, I am still quite satisfied with most versions I've heard since they started doing the song on a regular basis (Voodoo Lounge, I think). The version they did at Tacoma last year was nothing short of phenomenal, and I've heard many more outstanding versions elsewhere. My only problem (aside from Leavell) is that they're trying a bit too much to recaopture that feel of the original... so much that they're getting away from it almost. Jagger has finally found the "proper" way to sing it, so kudos must be given to him. But I don't know... there's often something lacking. I think some of that original grace is lost, and I can't explain why. Certainly the adventurousness of the '75 versions isn't there any more. I just don't know...

But I'm glad they play it, anyway. :-)
04-24-03 03:42 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
jb wrote:
...a very sad song.

yes jb a sad, sad song...but sad songs is all i know...
04-24-03 04:31 PM
jb Hope all is well down under SIA...
04-25-03 02:16 AM
stonedinaustralia yes, thanks jb - sweet and dandy - hope all is well with you too...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003