ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
(Thanks again Gypsy!)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Did Sugar Blue play with the Stones onstage? Return to archive
23rd April 2007 08:13 AM
Bruno Have Sugar Blue ever joined the Stones live? I´ve just saw a tiny picture of him with Mick in a site and it says that Sugar did a lot of shows with them. Never heard about it.

Would somebody post pictures with him and the Stones?
[Edited by Bruno]
23rd April 2007 08:51 AM
Gazza the wikipedia entry for him also states that he played several shows with the Stones - but thats untrue. The Stones have never toured with an 'outside' harmonica player.

To the best of my knowledge, I dont think he's even guested on a Stones show.
23rd April 2007 08:52 AM
tookthatname
quote:
Bruno wrote:
Have Sugar Blue ever joined the Stones live? I´ve just saw a tiny picture of him with Mick in a site and it says that Sugar did a lot of shows with them. Never heard about it.

Would somebody post pictures with him and the Stones?
[Edited by Bruno]

July 8, 1978 at Soldier Field in Chicago

at least according to the James Karnbach book
[Edited by tookthatname]
23rd April 2007 09:14 AM
Mel Belli That guy was good. Is it true they first heard him playing on the Paris Metro?
23rd April 2007 09:49 AM
Maxlugar Is that not him on the El Macombo side of LYL? That sure Aint Mick on Manish Boy. Unless it was overdubbed.

23rd April 2007 10:13 AM
Gazza
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Is that not him on the El Macombo side of LYL? That sure Aint Mick on Manish Boy. Unless it was overdubbed.

It's Mick. Lots of overdubs on LYL. Sugar Blue isnt on that album.

Re: the Chicago '78 show. I've a few songs from that show on video/DVD - including "Miss You" - and havent noticed any guests.
23rd April 2007 10:28 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

It's Mick. Lots of overdubs on LYL. Sugar Blue isnt on that album.

That doesn't even sound like Mick playing. Way fast. Lots of notes. If it's him, that's eye opening.
23rd April 2007 10:29 AM
voodoopug Sugar Blue played with the Stones in 1981 at the Rosemont Horizon in Rosemont, IL. I also recall he guested in 1989 at Alpine Valley...but not 100% sure on that one.
23rd April 2007 11:30 AM
twicks1 I interviewed Sugar Blue about 12 years ago for a local newspaper, and probably angered him immediately by asking if he had picked up any harmonica tips from jamming with Jagger & Co.

I don't remember his exact reply, but it was something like, "The students can't teach anything to the master."
23rd April 2007 11:32 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
twicks1 wrote:
I interviewed Sugar Blue about 12 years ago for a local newspaper, and probably angered him immediately by asking if he had picked up any harmonica tips from jamming with Jagger & Co.

I don't remember his exact reply, but it was something like, "The students can't teach anything to the master."

Okaaaay, Sugar Blue, you're the "master." ... Anyway, may I have paper inside plastic, please?
[Edited by Mel Belli]
23rd April 2007 11:36 AM
Gazza
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Sugar Blue played with the Stones in 1981 at the Rosemont Horizon in Rosemont, IL. I also recall he guested in 1989 at Alpine Valley...but not 100% sure on that one.

Yep, correct on both counts

24/11/81 in Chicago (2nd of 3 shows)
11/09/89 in East Troy (Alpine Valley) (3rd of 3 shows)

On 'Miss You' both times.
23rd April 2007 12:20 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Yep, correct on both counts

24/11/81 in Chicago (2nd of 3 shows)

On 'Miss You' both times.

note: 11-24-81 was my very first stones concert.
23rd April 2007 02:02 PM
Bruno And are there pics of him and the Stones?
23rd April 2007 02:03 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I guess these were the lucky folks who weren't subjected to Matt Clifford's fake harmonica.
23rd April 2007 02:11 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

I guess these were the lucky folks who weren't subjected to Matt Clifford's fake harmonica.

Matt Clifford is the "master" of the synthesizers.

Remember: "Students can not teach anything to the master." But they can buy the masters instructional keyboard video for $3.99 plus postage on ebay
23rd April 2007 02:50 PM
ChrisEditor note: 11-24-81 was my very first stones concert.

That was also my first Stones show...And I was at the Alpine show when Sugar Blue played harp on "Miss You."

Sugar still plays "Miss You" when he plays here locally.

23rd April 2007 02:51 PM
voodoopug
quote:
ChrisEditor wrote:
note: 11-24-81 was my very first stones concert.

That was also my first Stones show...And I was at the Alpine show when Sugar Blue played harp on "Miss You."

Sugar still plays "Miss You" when he plays here locally.

I was at the 89 show also. small world
23rd April 2007 02:54 PM
pdog the world is not small... It is huge!!!
24th April 2007 06:59 AM
Mathijs He also guessed in '97 if I am not mistaken.

Mathijs
24th April 2007 10:19 AM
Lord Homosex He was definetly NOT at the 78 Chicago show.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)