ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
(Thanks again Gypsy!)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Question for the RO guitar players NSC Return to archive
22nd April 2007 06:20 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox So I've finally decided to get a "real" amp to play my LP Standard through. Problem is that I'm still on a fairly tight budget. I've tried a few Hot Rod Deluxe's (seems that I can pick up a used USA model for $400-$500) and I really dig the clean tone. The distortion isn't that bad either but I figure I could always pedal it up later anyway. Any thoughts on this amp? Any other recommendations? I'm partial to the "vintage tube sound" but I'm not totally against solid state amps either.
22nd April 2007 07:29 PM
Joey " Any thoughts on this amp? Any other recommendations? I'm partial to the "vintage tube sound" but I'm not totally against solid state amps either. "

22nd April 2007 07:59 PM
Starbuck most successful tribute acts play through the vox AC30...classic tube sound...tremelo built in sounds great on "paperback writer" and "rain"...stick a set of heavy gauge strings on your rickenbacker and you can get the heavier set working class college age chicks to ask you out....

i got mine for $792.00.

22nd April 2007 08:00 PM
glencar Bucky I just read in today's Times that Hilly Clintoon is a HUGE (no, not a fat joke!) MACCA fan!!!
22nd April 2007 10:44 PM
guitarman53
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:
So I've finally decided to get a "real" amp to play my LP Standard through. Problem is that I'm still on a fairly tight budget. I've tried a few Hot Rod Deluxe's (seems that I can pick up a used USA model for $400-$500) and I really dig the clean tone. The distortion isn't that bad either but I figure I could always pedal it up later anyway. Any thoughts on this amp? Any other recommendations? I'm partial to the "vintage tube sound" but I'm not totally against solid state amps either.

Not familiar with that one, I use a Fender Stage 100 DSP, I heard Mesa Boogie is good too.
23rd April 2007 01:01 AM
Starbuck
quote:
Bucky I just read in today's Times that Hilly Clintoon is a HUGE (no, not a fat joke!) MACCA fan!!!

admit it - you like abbey road!
23rd April 2007 10:35 AM
voodoopug The Vox is a nice choice. I like the sound I get out of my Fender Devilles. I have a Blues Deville and a Standard Deville. Both are 4 x 10's. I like the standard one a bit better, but the Blues Deville really sounds great with a harmonica......but it is hard to justify an amp in that price range used exclusively for harmonica.

I'd go with a Fender Tube amp or a Vox....spend the money on a Deville, it has a deeper sound that will compliment your Les Paul a bit more.
23rd April 2007 10:41 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
The Vox is a nice choice. I like the sound I get out of my Fender Devilles. I have a Blues Deville and a Standard Deville. Both are 4 x 10's. I like the standard one a bit better, but the Blues Deville really sounds great with a harmonica......but it is hard to justify an amp in that price range used exclusively for harmonica.

I'd go with a Fender Tube amp or a Vox....spend the money on a Deville, it has a deeper sound that will compliment your Les Paul a bit more.

I've got a DeVille and have never been happy with it. Turn it anywhere past 2, and it starts to bark. ... That said, I've got a 100w Marshall JCM-800 head, a Roland JC-120, and a little, newish Vox solid-state/tube hybrid -- and I'm not really happy with any of them. They all have their strong points, but I've yet to find the "perfect" sound. Doubt I ever will...
23rd April 2007 02:04 PM
yellerstang The Deluxe/Deville Fender circuit has poor overdrive/distortion. Get a good drive pedal and you might be in business.

Though, I'd question getting an amp where 2 out of 3 channels are useless.
23rd April 2007 02:09 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
yellerstang wrote:
The Deluxe/Deville Fender circuit has poor overdrive/distortion. Get a good drive pedal and you might be in business.

I've got some Line 6 stompboxes, plus a bunch of other crap, so I get along okay. I'm just never 100% satisfied...
23rd April 2007 02:27 PM
mark The Fender deluxes, deluxe reverb reissues and the Blues Jr.s are all great amps and can be found at pretty decent prices. IMHO, the hot rod series of the devilles and deluxes has a pretty ratty sounding 2nd drive and the Blues Jr. might not be able to cut above a full band roaring away, tho it is a great practice amp. Laney and Traynor make nice 30-40watt single 12" combos that are usually overlooked. All kinda depends on your budget, what kinda material you're doing, and if you are gonna be out gigging with a band.
23rd April 2007 02:33 PM
voodoopug
quote:
yellerstang wrote:
The Deluxe/Deville Fender circuit has poor overdrive/distortion. Get a good drive pedal and you might be in business.

I paired mine up with a Ibanez tube screamer and a Boss EQ pedal.
23rd April 2007 02:50 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Just wait what Mathijs has to say on this topic.
23rd April 2007 05:44 PM
Saint Sway I recommend picking up a copy of the new issue of Vintage Guitar magazine!

[Edited by Saint Sway]
24th April 2007 04:21 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:
Just wait what Mathijs has to say on this topic.

I was hoping he would respond...Love to read his stuff on some of the guitar threads over at IORR
24th April 2007 04:28 PM
voodoopug
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

I was hoping he would respond...Love to read his stuff on some of the guitar threads over at IORR

Sadly, neither Josh or I are welcome at RO.
24th April 2007 04:35 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Sadly, neither Josh or I are welcome at RO.

I think he is distancing himself from that post
24th April 2007 04:37 PM
voodoopug
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

I think he is distancing himself from that post

Correct, he is very careful about our association with each other as we have burned many of each other's bridges (see: Dade County Mercedes Dealerships)
24th April 2007 11:51 PM
MikeyC613 i play a peavey 5150 twin tube amp. it sounds good, i don't get too much into the technical side of music, but it puts out a lot of sound. it's just a pain in the ass to carry.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)