ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
(Thanks again Gypsy!)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BEGGERS BANQUET APPRECIATION THREAD Return to archive
22nd April 2007 05:51 PM
fireontheplatter i have this on the sacd version they came out with 4-5 years ago.
the acoustic stones era........brillient
i love the song.........FACTORY GIRL.

22nd April 2007 06:25 PM
Bloozehound First actual Stones album I ever had and it sealed the deal, my alltime favorite Stones album

dear doctor, stray cat blues, street fighting man, sftd, parachute woman, no expectations..love'm all

it's the tits
22nd April 2007 07:18 PM
ExileIzzy 3rd best album behind Exile and Let It Bleed
23rd April 2007 12:28 AM
Starbuck i can't believe this thread only has three responses in it. have we become so concerned with our hairstyles and who is having phone sex with whom that we have lost our focus? sickening!

i think this album might be better than exile. there! i said it!
23rd April 2007 02:06 AM
IanBillen A Great transitional album.

Beggars Banquet was a real transistional album with out doubt.

Actually it is a folky album that presented more acoustic guitar than any other Rolling Stones album.

Beggars Banquet transceneded The Rolling Stones to country styles and authentic country influence. Sure the single "It's all over now" has a country-pop/rock feel to it but this sound was much more real, authentic, and was the base for an entire album.

Very strangely and in a completely opposite direction this album spawned the influence of real african tribal music in The Rolling Stones works with the classic Sympathy for The Devil. How did that happen? Who knows but the song is a complete classic and it expanded The Stones catalogue and expanded their musical influence in a 180 degree direction opposing the country-folk flavor that is so present in the rest of the album.

From this transition masterwork album we now have country, and african style flavors in much of The Rolling Stones works from this album and onwards. And the country flavor now and again has become a permenant staple in their sound.

Besides the transition and adoption of new musical styles this album by itself is a very real sounding classic regardless of transitions or musical expansion.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
23rd April 2007 02:25 AM
Brian Jones Girl
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
i can't believe this thread only has three responses in it.

Maybe more would reply if "Beggars Banquet" was spelled right lol

On their last album with Brian I gotta say Jig Saw Puzzle is my favorite song.
23rd April 2007 02:32 AM
Zack I appreciate Beggars Banquet.

It's Keith's favorite Stones album.

Mick Taylor's too, and he didn't even play on it.

I prefer the white cover to the toilet bowl.

Parachute Woman is by far the album's weakest track.

Mick's imitation of a black blues singer on Prodigal Son is contrived. Keith's playing on it is about my favorite of all time, however.

The sentiments on Salt of the Earth are rather sappy and un Stones-like.

The chord progression of the Licks tour versions of Stray Cat Blues sounds just like Zeppelin's In the Evening.

I wonder if Bill was irked that Keith played bass on SFTD.
[Edited by Zack]
23rd April 2007 04:12 AM
pdog
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
i can't believe this thread only has three responses in it. have we become so concerned with our hairstyles and who is having phone sex with whom that we have lost our focus? sickening!

i think this album might be better than exile. there! i said it!

Ian outposted you in this thread... Royals beat the Twins and now this...
That is fucked!
23rd April 2007 05:20 AM
Stray Cat UK 1st Stones album I bought (in 1979) and still my favourite

scuk
23rd April 2007 09:24 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Zack wrote:
The sentiments on Salt of the Earth are rather sappy and un Stones-like.

[Edited by Zack]

Read those lyrics again. They're actually very dark, almost nihilistic. Mick and Keith had to alter several lines to make it appropriate for the 9/11 tribute at MSG.
23rd April 2007 02:16 PM
Philip Transitional? Let it Bleed would fall under that.

Beggars Banquet is their best and most focused album imo. I ferkin' love it!!!

The rock is freaky, the blues is warped and the country is fun! It is as much experimental as it is traditional. Purrfect!

[Edited by Philip]
23rd April 2007 02:36 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. The album that made me a true fan. I had listened to Exile and Sticky Fingers, but had a bit of a hard time getting into them, especially Exile; but when I heard Beggars Banquet the Stones became my all-time favorite band, and remain so.
23rd April 2007 04:32 PM
fireontheplatter the only reason i posted this is because i have about 60-70 stones cds and i don't get a chance to listen to each and every one for the longest time. so, my new thing is to listen to one in its entirety and then onto the next and so on and so forth.
this is a killer....i think.

i am very sorry to hear about keith's mother dying today.
drink to her.......
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)