ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
(Thanks again Gypsy!)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Virginia Tech should be a lesson on gun control.... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
20th April 2007 01:41 PM
glencar There is elsewhere...
20th April 2007 01:43 PM
pdog
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Why has there not been an Alec Baldwin thread?...

There's two thinga that are insane, one is Baldwin, which we knew, the other is everything you do is recorded. The future is going to be recording poops of famous people.
20th April 2007 01:59 PM
Starbuck strangely enough, riffy brings up some good points in this thread. first off, our fascination with guns is born from our history. the first 150 years of the USA was the story of us stealing land from the injuns...and what made that a whooping success? the fact that our guns were bigger than theirs. whenever a settler wouuld go west, they had to have guns for protection. as a result, the 2nd ammendment was put into the constitution...i don't think it had anything to do with keeping guns around as a check to tyrannical government, however - just for protection in the wilds of the 19th century.

and let's look at this practically - crazy people are going to get guns no matter what happens. strengthening gun laws are not going to keep them out of the hands of psychos. hell, harris and klebold bought guns when they were minors without too much of a problem - thus, if someone wants them bad enough, they can get them, and strengthening the gun laws ain't gonna stop that from happening. now, what in living hell anyone would want to collect/own/possess guns for in the first place, especially automatic weapons, is beyond me...and the scope of this argument.

i do disagree with you though riffy - european society sans guns is far less violent.
20th April 2007 02:03 PM
pdog by less violent, do you mean less likely to fight... I think they are old school and fight w/o guns, but I don't think they are any less likely to be violent and rageful. do you get my drift?
20th April 2007 02:23 PM
tumbled Second Amendment - Bearing Arms

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

NOTE IT SAYS "PEOPLE" NOT "PERSON"

What happened during the drafting of the virginia bill of rights which is really the template for the constitution was that Fielding Lewis and members of the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1757 discussed the fact that a big pile of gunpowder was missing from the wharves in Petersburg and they were really surprised and pissed off about it. And they also had no gun factories that were non-british at the time and so they started a smelting factory and directed the mining for ore and built a major gun production building in Fredericksburg under Fielding Lewis' supervision and shipment to help supply the revolution. They knew they needed to arm themselves against the British who were becoming more and more oppressive. This was prior to the revolution in 1776. This was the basis for the constitutional 2nd amendment I think it is intended as a militia right for the health safety and welfare of the population not to ensure any one individual gun ownership rights.

besides all that, all the stupid drunken people have guns and its dangerous for women and children in this country. there. i'm threw spewing my opinion. (I'll grab my hat)

[Edited by tumbled]
[Edited by tumbled]
20th April 2007 02:24 PM
Rodney_King
quote:
we just need to call a spade a spade and a ho a ho!

i find this to be a culturally insensitive remark.

however, i have not yet determined whether it is culturally insensitive to blacks, women, or gardening utensils. i have contacted al sharpton for advice.
20th April 2007 02:29 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
our fascination with guns is born from our history.

Europe, for reasons that are for another day, is not dealing with some of the demographics that America is dealing with...Which, is why I am always puzzled that except on rare occasions, Europeans disregard those demographics when attempting to explain the root of violence in our society...It's understandable, there are plenty of Americans who also choose to disregard those demographics and look for other, more politically correct reasons to explain violence in America...
20th April 2007 02:30 PM
glencar
quote:
tumbled wrote:
Second Amendment - Bearing Arms

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

What happened during the drafting of the virginia bill of rights which is really the template for the constitution was that Fielding Lewis and members of the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1757 discussed the fact that a big pile of gunpowder was missing from the wharves in Petersburg and they were really surprised and pissed off about it. And they also had no gun factories that were non-british at the time and so they started a smelting factory and directed the mining for ore and built a major gun production building in Fredericksburg under Fielding Lewis' supervision and shipment to help supply the revolution. They knew they needed to arm themselves against the British who were becoming more and more oppressive. This was prior to the revolution in 1776. This was the basis for the constitutional 2nd amendment I think it is intended as a militia right for the health safety and welfare of the population not to ensure any one individual gun ownership rights.

[Edited by tumbled]

That may have been the intent but the second part of the amndment clearly gives people the right to keep & bear arms. As said above, I'm not a gun nut & I ahve a healthy fear of them but I abhor any attempts to take away that right.
20th April 2007 02:30 PM
tumbled
quote:
egon wrote:

ok, you're still my friend! :-)

you better be or you are liable to get shot
20th April 2007 02:31 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
pdog wrote:
by less violent, do you mean less likely to fight... I think they are old school and fight w/o guns, but I don't think they are any less likely to be violent and rageful. do you get my drift?

Two words...Soccer hooligans

tumbled real men use their fists

The Virginia bill of rights version (drafted prior to constitutional 2nd amendment):

"13. That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided, as dangerous to liberty; and that, in all cases, the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.
[Edited by tumbled]
pdog
quote:
Rodney_King wrote:

i find this to be a culturally insensitive remark.

however, i have not yet determined whether it is culturally insensitive to blacks, women, or gardening utensils. i have contacted al sharpton for advice.

David Spade and Don Ho.
20th April 2007 03:10 PM
tumbled I think mace should be further developed...into personal protection packets to carry around in your purse.

don't steal my patent..
20th April 2007 03:14 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
What is never written about in the Dirty, Filthy, Loathsome, Liberal Media are the statistics showing how many times a crime or murder is thwarted by people with legal firearms in this country.

It's a hell of a lot more than the extremely rare case of a school shooting like this.

Freedom baby!

Also not written about: how many kids accidently shoot their friends after finding a parents gun. I guarantee you more innocent people are killed in homes than are saved by citizens with concealed carry permits.
20th April 2007 03:16 PM
glencar
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Also not written about: how many kids accidently shoot their friends after finding a parents gun. I guarantee you more innocent people are killed in homes than are saved by citizens with concealed carry permits.

My father had a gun when we were kids & my pain in the ass brother found it & shot at my sister. He missed by inches.
20th April 2007 03:17 PM
glencar I should add it was accidental & that my Dad had the gun as part of his job. It was hidden away under lock & key but my brother was a real hellion. He's grown up to be a normal adult.
20th April 2007 03:20 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
He's grown up to be a normal adult.

Wow. You're fortunate that your sister was able to grow up period

scary story
20th April 2007 03:22 PM
glencar Yes, she's normal too!
20th April 2007 03:26 PM
monkey_man
quote:
glencar wrote:
My father had a gun when we were kids & my pain in the ass brother found it & shot at my sister. He missed by inches.

My cousin and I found my grandfather's shotgun and shells and were able to figure out how to load it. My mother found us just as we were about to fire it in the basement. The gun was taken out of the house for good and I couldn't sit down for a few days.
20th April 2007 03:27 PM
Starbuck "Yes, she's normal too!"

so now you're the freak in the family!
Fiji Joe
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

My cousin and I found my grandfather's shotgun and shells and were able to figure out how to load it. My mother found us just as we were about to fire it in the basement. The gun was taken out of the house for good and I couldn't sit down for a few days.

So you're advocating the benefits of corporal punishment?...

Yay!
glencar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
"Yes, she's normal too!"

You know me too well!
glencar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
"Yes, she's normal too!"

You talk like Chuck!
[Edited by glencar]
20th April 2007 03:28 PM
glencar
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Neither could "Bobby"!
20th April 2007 03:40 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

So you're advocating the benefits of corporal punishment?...

Corporal punshiment is a good antidote to incorrigible stupidity. In this country it's called the correctional system.
20th April 2007 03:56 PM
pdog Nasa bldg. 44.... We can forget about Imus, he's off the news for a while...
20th April 2007 03:58 PM
glencar Imus is soooooo 2nd-week-of-April-2007...
20th April 2007 05:07 PM
sirmoonie Guns are as much a part of American culture as booze and negroes. To abolish them would be to abolish part of ourselves.

I bought my first gun at 15, after absolutely freaking the piss out watching Helter Skelter one night. Charlie is scary - I have been toting ever since. If anyone attempts to break into my swank-assing, top-ten-Money-magazine-place-to-be-living E.P. house while me and/or my wife are there, by the lord god as myeth witness there will be pieces of them scattered from the living room to the hot tub. And I'm talking little giblet sized pieces, like Kibbles and Bits and stuff.
20th April 2007 05:09 PM
pdog Wuurd Moonie...
Everyone should look forward to a justifiable homocide, I know I am!
20th April 2007 05:18 PM
Saint Sway hey Riffy,

your right wing buddy Ted Nugent just chimed in...

he's saying that if the school wasnt in a "gun free zone" that people would of been carrying guns and been able to defend themselves

genius
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)