ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
(Thanks again Gypsy!)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: my problem with the who Return to archive
19th April 2007 05:32 PM
texile first off, i don't want to piss who fans off -
because i love the music...
but does the fact that daltrey does not write affect the music's impact on you?
he's a good vocalist, a distinctive vocalist,
but i know he's not singing his own words and that keeps me from really connecting to the music.
like that part in baba o'reilly when townshend sings - it makes the song..
maybe townshend didn't feel like a strong enough vocalist -but his thin voice actually gives the song a more vulnerable edge - as opposed to daltrey's rock-jock scream.
is this wrong?
19th April 2007 05:34 PM
glencar Yes. There are other reasons for not liking a band but your stated reason seems weak.
19th April 2007 05:41 PM
texile
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes. There are other reasons for not liking a band but your stated reason seems weak.

but i can't help it.
i know elvis didn't write either -
but it bothers me with the who.
maybe because daltrey's lyrics ARE so personal - daltrey's voice seems to render them generic to me.
19th April 2007 06:31 PM
Joey " daltrey's voice seems to render them generic to me. "

Pete Townshend would not have been shit without Roger Daltrey . Word .

'kins !

19th April 2007 07:00 PM
mojoman its the singer not the song....daltrey could sing last an air supply tune and it would sound good......

19th April 2007 07:25 PM
sammy davis jr. Roger sings the songs EXACTLY like the demo's too. They both have distinctive voices but Roger is the right choice overall.
19th April 2007 07:35 PM
stonedinaustralia as is usually the case tex, i can totally see where you are coming from
19th April 2007 11:02 PM
BrianGotHisRocksOff I love the Who, but it always bothered me about Roger not writing. Ah well, I still love how they taped the headphones to Moon's head.
20th April 2007 10:41 AM
fireontheplatter i always thought daltry and townsend wrote together.
i love the who...quadraphenia is awesome.
20th April 2007 10:58 AM
Joey
quote:
BrianGotHisRocksOff wrote:
Ah well, I still love how they taped the headphones to Moon's head.

" WHO ARE YOU " !!!!!

Moonie , John and Roger gave all of Pete's demos LIFE !!!!
( ESPECIALLY all the material on WHO ARE YOU )

20th April 2007 04:13 PM
Joey MaxLugar: "...oh, and please God, help me be a great poster like the Joey . I should have listened to him long ago .... now I fear The War in Iraq could tear our great country apart and lead to the possible impeachment of Bushie43 and Dick Cheney . Please God, I could sure use your help! Right Scraps ?!"

Scraps: "Woof!"

[cc:ss]
[Edited by Joey]
21st April 2007 04:49 AM
sirmoonie I'm an extremely biased Who fan, but I kinda get what you mean. Daltrey was certainly more a voice than a mind.

But to ease yo' minds, Pete said a few times that he wrote Who songs for Daltrey's voice - worked out pretty well.

The Who!

21st April 2007 12:44 PM
MrPleasant The Who cancelled their second (and, presumably: last) show, in México. Too bad.
21st April 2007 03:22 PM
Joey
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
The Who cancelled their second (and, presumably: last) show, in México. Too bad.

Actually , the main goal now is to make sure that Roger Daltrey stays healthy throughout the upcoming European Tour ..... THEN the band can come back to the states this fall for a seventy - five date " Mini Tour " that will include Mexico .

Cassie !
22nd April 2007 02:07 AM
Kilroy My trouble with the Who is Moon, He's dead.
22nd April 2007 02:44 AM
pdog
quote:
Kilroy wrote:
My trouble with the Who is Moon, He's dead.

And The Ox, it ended for them weice, and pete doesn't get it!
22nd April 2007 05:42 AM
Honky Tonk Man I like Roger Daltery, but I've always thought there is something a little un-cool about him, it's the same with Townsend. Collectively though, they were very cool indeed, especially during the 1965-1967 Mod period. Keith Moon was different altogether. You can't knock him on anything.
22nd April 2007 05:07 PM
Factory Girl I am so lukewarm on the Who! now.

I was into them when I was 13-15, but not now.

22nd April 2007 05:25 PM
Bloozehound I have a hard time putting a finger on it, it's hard to describe, but most of the Who's songs have this sort of "anthem-y" feel, like they've got a message and it's never really jived with me

22nd April 2007 06:26 PM
Joey

I am seriously , SERIOUSLY considering leaving the board .
22nd April 2007 06:35 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
I'm an extremely biased Who fan, but I kinda get what you mean. Daltrey was certainly more a voice than a mind.

But to ease yo' minds, Pete said a few times that he wrote Who songs for Daltrey's voice - worked out pretty well.

The Who!

Bless You Moonie --- my only pal .

You are much loved by Joey

'kins
22nd April 2007 07:28 PM
Joey
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
I am so lukewarm on the Who! now.

I was into them when I was 13-15, but not now.

Somewhere in Nebraska ....... a Clown cries :

Why ?!

WHY ?!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)