ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
(Thanks again Gypsy!)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger, Dylan, McCartney to be interviewed for 'Rolling Stone' 40th anniversary special Return to archive
19th April 2007 07:54 AM
Gazza Rolling Stone magazine marks 40th anniversary
Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:44 PM EDT

By Dean Goodman
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rolling Stone magazine is serious about celebrating its 40th anniversary.

Just a year ago, the music magazine marked its 1,000th issue with a fun-themed double issue and a big party. This time, founder and editor Jann Wenner is more pensive as he prepares to put out the first of three commemorative editions.

"I thought I'd just make the 1,000th issue more of a celebration and a party-type thing. For the 40th anniversary, I thought we'd better crack down, do some real gravitas, and spread it out," he told Reuters.

The first issue hits newsstands on Friday. It's entitled "Where We've Been" and tracks the progress of the baby-boomer generation through interviews with the likes of Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney and Steven Spielberg. It also includes musings from members of the silent generation, such as Jack Nicholson and President Carter.

The second issue, due in June, focuses on the so-called "summer of love" of 1967, the backdrop for the magazine's launch in San Francisco. The series will be rounded out in November, with a forward-looking issue where artists and pundits will attempt to predict the future.

The third special issue may coincide with some sort of event to enhance the Rolling Stone brand, but Wenner was not particularly enthusiastic.

"It wouldn't be a party. I'd like to rather do something else, and I'm not quite sure what it is yet," he said.

DYLAN INTERVIEW

Wenner interviewed Dylan for the "Where We've Been" issue, flying to Amsterdam for a two-hour summit with the enigmatic subject of 14 cover stories.

"You get a sense of who he is, and what he thinks, what his life is like a little today, what kind of personality," Wenner said. "He's on the road, he loves playing, he loves doing his work."

The two go back to 1969, 18 months after Wenner had launched Rolling Stone with John Lennon on the cover. In that time, the rookie publisher constantly pestered Dylan for an interview, and was finally rewarded with an audience at a New York hotel.

These days, 61-year-old Wenner is arguably just as famous as some of the rock stars in his magazine. Beyond the usual perils of aging, he feels he still has the same spirit and energy now as he did 40 years ago. With a bit more money.

His current listening choices include such rock bands as Kings of Leon, the Strokes and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, singer/guitarist John Mayer, and old standbys like Dylan and the Rolling Stones.

There are few professional regrets. A Frank Sinatra interview was dangled in front of the magazine but probably never would have happened anyway. And Wenner could have become one of the richest men on the planet if he had accepted an offer years ago to sell the magazine to MTV in return for a 25 percent stake in the fledgling music cable channel.

"I would never have had the wisdom or foresight to hang onto it and own more of (MTV parent) Viacom than (Viacom's billionaire chairman) Sumner Redstone," he said.

Reuters

[Edited by Gazza]
19th April 2007 10:59 AM
Martha I'm going to go stand next to my mailbox until my issue arrives! ;-)
19th April 2007 11:02 AM
glencar I haven't read RS in months. The political crap has overtaken the musical news. I did read in the NY Post that Jann Wenner has a new boyfriend...
19th April 2007 11:28 AM
Lord Homosex It seems that just about every other issue now is some kind of celebration or anniversary; RS constantly patting themselves on the shoulder. Then in between the blue collar issues are mostly advertising interspersed with fluff.
Why am I even bothering to write about RS anymore?
19th April 2007 11:38 AM
Joey
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:
It seems that just about every other issue now is some kind of celebration or anniversary;

Interesting Analysis Lord Homosex .......

I too have felt a vivid , shocking , electrical energy emenating from .......

******** END TRANSMISSION ********
22nd April 2007 09:41 AM
Gazza Audio of the Dylan interview (18 minutes) can be found here :

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/04/20/bob-dylan-like-youve-never-heard-him-before/#more-2530
22nd April 2007 09:53 AM
_Boomy_
quote:
glencar wrote:
I haven't read RS in months.

For good reason. It's a rag.
22nd April 2007 01:18 PM
oldkr the mick interview is good, keiths is standard fare, the dylan interview is good if you can bare dylan interviews! Jack nicholson actually gave the best interview in the issue

OLDKR
22nd April 2007 07:58 PM
glencar
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:

For good reason. It's a rag.

Yes, it's political blather of the lowest order. The music has taken a backseat to everything else. And when they started acting like hippity hoppity was a true form of music, I exited.
23rd April 2007 04:14 AM
corgi37 It's very nice for us oldies, but what do today's EMO kids give a flying fuck about 1967, Dylan or Jagger?
23rd April 2007 04:25 AM
pdog RS sucks, the music reviews are few and crap, the politics are unbalanced and in some cases not well researched. It has it moements I'm sure, but I don't ever reacall an issue that I read more than 10 or 20% of... I've read Uncut from cover to cover on many occasions, and the NME too. Basically they write about shit after it has happened nd from my POV is already over.... Their idea of of reporting on a cultural happening or new trend, would be like me telling you The Cardinals just won the world series. Yeah, six months ago...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)