ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
(Thanks again Gypsy!)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Horses at Venue Return to archive
19th April 2007 02:38 AM
Girlo_cares As a fan of the band I am deeply concerned that they would even consider holding a concert (in Serbia) at a venue where nearly three hundred horses are stabled. Some of these will be metres from the soundstage apparently and the plan is to simply "sedate" them. Come on guys - these are racehorses! They are highly tuned and sensitive animals! They can't just be sedated - that's an outrageous suggestion and no solution that can be tolerated. They should be re-located.
Show that you have some compassion. Either move the horses or change the venue - your fans will love you either way.
19th April 2007 08:11 AM
Gazza according to a post I read elsewhere, the dilemma is that the Serbian government has pledged to pay the Stones' costs if they perform at Belgrade's race course, the Hippodrome (which holds around 100,000)

That would suggest that there is some financial arrangement which means they play there and nowhere else, although it seems a strange agreement.

Maybe if they cant play there, they wont play Belgrade at all because of this contract?
19th April 2007 09:00 AM
Nellcote Move the horses for a day, it's the Stones, dammit!
19th April 2007 09:07 AM
FotiniD I don't understand why they can't move the horses, instead of sedating them. I mean, what if that Hippodrome has works to be done,etc.? They just leave the horses there? There has to be a plan to move them somewhere else just for a day.
19th April 2007 11:00 AM
glencar Is it so bad to sedate these beasts? I'm not sure why people are upset about this. It is the Stones playing, after all. It's not like another civil war.
19th April 2007 11:23 AM
The jinn, my friend. What?! No free show for the beasts of burden?
Let them have a bit of horseplay, get stoned and listen to a free concert.
Will they take offense to the song Wild Horses?
20th April 2007 08:35 AM
Girlo_cares Well yeah, it's the Stones, dammit, but even if there is an arrangement with the Serbian Govt why they can't arrange to stable the horses elsewhere for say 72 hours? It probably takes 3 days or so for pre-production, sound testing and the gig itself plus the loadout and I can't understand why this isn't just being "arranged" instead of debated. ORCA wrote to me saying they're contacting absolutely everyone to do with this issue and they will fight the fight on it, dammit. And last I heard there are a lot of paddocks over there ...
And sedating the "beasts" is a big deal actually.
Just for the record, it's technically unethical treatment of animals. Which really upsets a lot of people.
[Edited by Girlo_cares]
20th April 2007 10:37 AM
fireontheplatter maybe they should play unplugged and acoustic songs for 2 hours
21st April 2007 06:16 PM
Gazza Stones' gig at racetrack stays on course

By MISHA SAVIC
Associated Press Writer

BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) -- The Rolling Stones will rock Belgrade this summer even if their performance at the city's main racetrack distresses hundreds of horses stabled at the venue, concert organizers said Friday.

"Preparations for the July 14 concert are going smoothly, there are no problems," Dejan Maksimovic, a director of Music Star Productions, told The Associated Press, shrugging off concerns from an animal rights organization.

Officials of the Hippodrome racecourse acknowledged that some of the finest - and skittish - gallopers among the few hundred horses may be given tranquilizers when the Stones unleash their stadium-rocking decibels.

"But we've done that before, this is not the first rock concert at the Hippodrome," said Natasa Pavlovic of the state-run racecourse, adding that an arrangement with concert organizers is nearly finalized. She didn't disclose financial details.

The Organization for Respect and Care for Animals (ORCA) has called for a change of venue, warning of the "inevitable stress that the animals would suffer" from the noise, or from diazepam, which has been used to sedate the animals during previous concerts.

More than 80,000 tickets are being sold for the performance as Serbs hope to finally see the legendary rockers after at least two previous attempts to bring them here failed.

In 2003, a nearly arranged concert in Belgrade was canceled after Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic was assassinated. Plans were scrapped last year after Keith Richards suffered a head injury in a fall from a tree.

"It's a really big thing for us," said Dimitrije Stevanovic, 58. "I know I'll get all tearful when (Mick) Jagger shows up onstage and says, `Good evening, Belgrade.'"

- AP 20/4/07
22nd April 2007 07:59 PM
glencar Well, I'm glad teh Stones are behaving rationally. I wonder if "ORCA" will stage protests?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)