ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Eric Hayes
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oasis (whats everyone think?) Return to archive
04-13-02 07:22 PM
Honky Tonk Man Used to kinda like them when i was 12, but i bought "Definitely Maybe" today for a tenner, its damn good too. I knew the hits of it already. Okay, so maybe Oasis are completley seperate from the Stones, but its cool to talk about one of the other great brittish bands They arent goinf to reach the greatness of their first two albums, but "The Hindu Times" rocks well enough for me.

"You Can Sail With Me In My Yellow Submarine"

Now who says they rip of the Beatles? Who gives a shit?
04-13-02 08:20 PM
Gazza Of course they rip off the Beatles - theyve done a good job ripping off the Stones too in fact. Who gives a shit,you say? well I dont personally but if theyre so damn unoriginal then whats all the media fuss and hype been about for the last 8 years. fact is,theres been such precious new rock music worth a damn to have come out of the UK in the last decade that the media have kidded themselves that some of these bands have become groundbreaking and something fresh....when you look at it really,the two biggest indie rock "phenomenons" to have come out of the last decade have just been rehashing 60's ideas and passing them off as something original... namely Britpop and that whole Summer of Love shit from the early 90's.

Theyre a bloody good rock'n' roll band and Noel Gallagher has a good ear for melodies - but they dont REALLY have very much to say lyrically. I dont see much depth in their songs. To compare their work in any way with that of the other great songwriters to have come out of this country in the years preceding them is ludicrous. The Stones last album had more depth and diversity than Oasis' last three studio albums combined - and the Stones are twice their age.

I do think their first album though (Definitely Maybe) is one of the best debut albums ever - just a terrific raw rock'nroll record - but they peaked on that one. I had big hopes for them when that one came out (saw them in a club that same week in Belfast and they were terrific) but I think they ended up believing their own hype.

theyve become something of a soap opera and very cartoonish unfortunately,which has overshadowed their music...even all their bust-ups and scrapes are starting to look very staged (eg Liam gets in trouble last week for punching a photographer - oh and by the way they have a new single out..coincidence? Doubtful) but on their day theyre a fine rock'n'roll band..nothing more,nothing less.. I managed to get tickets to see them here at the end of June...I havent seen them since 1995,hopefully they can still cut it.

the new single aint bad though..I like it OK! The album isnt out until about July but I should have a copy of it sometime this week....
04-14-02 12:15 AM
MarthaMyDear There's nothing worse than a bad square haircut. :P

*** Martha ***

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.