ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: HOW TO PLAY LIKE KEEF - PLEASE HELP Return to archive
April 18th, 2005 11:25 AM
Ronnie B. Wood pleas help me, where could i find tutorial "how to play like keith richards" and i need keith richards tips and open-g tabs... i tuned my guitar to open g, but it isnt easy as it seams...
April 18th, 2005 11:58 AM
MidnightRambler Here is the best site that shows you HOW to do be like Keith.

http://jptrol.free.fr/mus/index.htm

The best way to BE like Keith is watching him play--see how he pounds those chords and his style on how he plays.
April 18th, 2005 12:11 PM
Saint Sway not quite sure how Black Crowes Rich Robinson does it. But he does it right.

sounds more like Keef than Keef does. Its scary.
April 18th, 2005 07:48 PM
Vinyl kills http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=3859
April 18th, 2005 11:23 PM
texile stay away from open e...........
open g is the way to keefness.
although i learned you got the silver and prodigal son in open e...........
the g tuning came after let it bleed and it's a more versatile tuning - you'll get used to it.
April 19th, 2005 10:31 AM
sonicrock the best tutorial is called jacks daniels
April 19th, 2005 12:38 PM
FPM C10 I believe the formula, as supplied by The Master himself, is:

5 strings
2 fingers
1 asshole

That's all you need!

April 19th, 2005 02:18 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I believe the formula, as supplied by The Master himself, is:

5 strings
2 fingers
1 asshole

That's all you need!

I'm quite certain you need more than 2 fingers.
April 19th, 2005 03:12 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I'm quite certain you need more than 2 fingers.

i'm quite certain that when you're playing like keith, as he did on the licks tour, no band would like to play with you
April 19th, 2005 06:16 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Too play like Keith-

A. A full glass of orange soda and vodka
B. A lit Marlboro Red
C. Guitar slung low
D. Five strings, with the top E missing
E. Guitar tuned to open G, capoed on the 5th fret.
F. Remember that you're a GUITAR player, not a rhythm or lead guitarist.
G Leave plenty of open space in your playing, less is more when playing like Keith
H. Riff Hard
I. Play a nice sloppy ending on tunes, but precise sloppiness is best.
J. Use either a Telecaster or Gibson for electric, Martin on acoustic.
K. Learn plenty of old blues tunes, as well as Chuck Berry.
L. Doan a pair of cool shades and you're ready to go!

Seriously, playing like Keith is an art in itself. His playing is really an entire style of his own. He's one of those few guitarist that is instantly recognizable by only hearing a few notes or chords. So, playing like Keith is very cool, but you should take what Keith does, blend it with other styles to make a complete style of your own. When I first started playing 28 years ago when I was 12, I listened to a lot of Keith and Chuck Berry. Once I mastered the slashing guitar style of Keith's, I moved onto other styles like Bob Weir, who in my opinion is one of the best rhythm guitarist in the business as well. Somewhere down the line it dawned on me that I had developed a style of my own which is completely different then other guitarist in my area. So, while it is very cool to play like Keith, it is much cooler to become your own man when picking up the ax. Good luck in learning the fine art of Keith Richards guitar playing!
April 19th, 2005 11:34 PM
HellsRollingThunder Orange soda and VODKA!! What kind of drink is that, is there a
name for it? I used to drink diet lemon lime soda and vodka.
YUCK!! Then I went to Mad Dog 20/20 Pink Grapefruit and Orange Jubliee. More YUCK! The PG is okay but the rest of the
MD's are drinkable (?) gasoline. Gin is the best vodka tastes
terrible unless you mix it with something to kill the taste. Those
were the good ole days.
April 20th, 2005 01:47 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! This is Keith's drink of choice these days and I believe he calls it Nuclear Waste.
April 20th, 2005 03:26 PM
Honky Tonker Take the low E string off.
Tune from low to high as follows:

G
D
G
B
D

Barre across all 5 strings. To get the famous I-IV change, simply use your middle and ring fingers to make a (standard tuned) m7 chord (Middle finger -up one fret,second string - Ring finger - up two,fourth string). At the 5th fret, you can play the "Start Me Up" riff. It's hard to play in this tuning and not sound similar to Keef. Robinson of the Crowes does in fact do a great job of Open-G.
[Edited by Honky Tonker]
April 20th, 2005 08:01 PM
Blind Dog McGhee You better have rhytmn.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour