ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Story of Jesus as sung by Elvis, John, Jimi, Bob Return to archive
April 17th, 2005 12:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Story of Jesus as sung by Elvis, John, Jimi, Bob

'Rockspell'

By Nick Crews
[email protected]

To hear Claude McNeal tell it, it wasn't Alan Freed, Elvis or Little Richard who gave us rock 'n' roll.

McNeal's "Rockspell: The Gospel According to Rock," running at American Cabaret Theatre through May 15, suggests rock's origins go back further -- much further. Think the Bible story when a "rock" miraculously "rolled" away from the door of a certain tomb.

And while no one is saying God predated Elvis as rock's original King, "Rockspell" comes pretty close.

Conceived and directed by McNeal and Mary Lou Szczesiul, "Rockspell" draws on rock songs from the 1960s and '70s to retell the Gospel story. The show, which premiered at ACT in 1998, features rock icons sitting in as deities: Elvis is God (late Elvis, that is). John Lennon is Jesus. Jimi Hendrix is the Holy Ghost. Bob Dylan is John the Baptist.

"Rockspell" unfolds its story entirely through classic rock lyrics and a "slide narrative" that flashes onto large screens flanking the stage everything from rock-star pin-ups to pop-art images to Bible verses.

The trippy approach to the Greatest Story Ever Told is problematic. After all, Lennon sang, "Imagine there's no heaven." To equate him -- even by implication -- to Jesus is trivializing and brings the show dangerously close to blasphemy. Besides that, many of the songs come off as a "forced fit."

The destiny of Christ is foreshadowed in "Blowin' in the Wind," sung by Dylan/John the Baptist. Jesus restores the sight of a blind man (Stevie Wonder) to "Sunshine of My Life."

The show has its moments: Jesus warns his disciples about temptation; he departs, only to have a disciple light up and pass a joint. The cast troops around singing "Everybody must get stoned" from the Bob Dylan song "Rainy Day Women #12 and 35."

In another scene, Jesus/Lennon, bent under the weight of the cross, falls to the stage, while Hendrix/Holy Ghost solos on "All Along the Watchtower." The Holy Ghost casts down his guitar, picks up the cross and finishes feigning the solo on it.

Lisa Posson, as Mary Magdalene, combines a radiant presence, lovely voice and fleet dancing. Jeff Owen, as Lennon/Jesus, brings to the role equal measures of beatitude and rock-'n'-roll snarl. Perhaps most entertaining is Jake Haley, who, as spastic Jim Morrison/Judas, stops just short of pulling a favorite trick of the Lizard King and exposing himself on the stage.

April 17th, 2005 12:31 PM
glencar Wow, I don't know if I could sit in a theater & watch this unfold but the video might be fun to watch every once in a while.
April 17th, 2005 04:27 PM
icydanger All over the watchtower, I thought it was a Bob Dylan song.
Jimi, there must be some kind of way out of here.
I remember reading the lyrics of a song of his named “ the story of Jesus”, does anyone know whether Jimi recorded that song?

April 17th, 2005 04:29 PM
glencar he did
April 17th, 2005 07:26 PM
icydanger i would appreciate more info.
time/space
April 17th, 2005 09:58 PM
Taptrick
I sure haven't heard of it. I recall seeing the line "...the story of Jesus..." on the inside liner notes that Hendrix wrote for the Band of Gypsy's album - but I did not think the line was used in a song. My understanding was it was more of a creative writing/poetry piece that had not fully reached song potential. Perhaps it was used in a developing movement Hendrix was working on but I haven't heard that either. Sure would like to if it's out there.

I suggest every good Hendrix fan obtain the CD Morning Symphony Ideas.

[Edited by Taptrick]
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour