ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sticky Fingers' cover crotch? Return to archive
April 17th, 2005 03:02 AM
padre The national Finnish radio had a competition this week about The Stones. The prizes were Shade and Sucking cd's. Among the questions were "who's crotch is in the cover of Sticky Fingers?"
I answered Joe Dallesandro, 'cos I've always thought that it was him or some other Andy's assistants.
Now the station revealed the right answers and they said it's "Mick Jagger". Really?
Any inside info on this matter?
April 17th, 2005 03:07 AM
stonedinaustralia i'd have said you were correct - i always thought it was one of warhol's crowd if not delasandro specifically

subject to other's views around here i'd say lodge an appeal immediately
April 17th, 2005 11:54 AM
glencar What I found:

Though they had become fodder for the gossip columnists, the Stones still retained a soupcon of outrage, which they chose to literally display on their album, Sticky Fingers. Andy Warhol designed the cover, the waist-to-knees portion of a well-endowed male in jeans (rumored to be the artist's underground film superstar Joe Dallesandro), with a real zipper in the crotch.

Sticky Fingers
Sticky Fingers, the Rolling Stones' twelfth studio album, yielded two Top 40 hits for the band in 1971, the #1 "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" (#28). Released in May of that year, the album was #1 in the US for four weeks, and remained on the album charts for 62 weeks.
~
Originally the package was scheduled to have a balloon pop out when the zipper was undone, but the additional touch was deemed too costly. Another Warhol creation was the band's new logo, a red, open mouth with tongue sticking out. The immediately identifiable image set the tone for the group's latest venture, Rolling Stones Records. To distribute their own label, they selected Atlantic Records, since their long tempestuous relationship with British Decca had expired with the contract.
[Edited by glencar]
April 17th, 2005 03:34 PM
Soldatti Jagger remembers:

- The cover of that album is a pair of jeans with a real zipper.

MJ: This was Andy Warhol's idea.

- There's underwear on the back. Is that you?

MJ: No. It's one of Andy's . . . proteges is the polite word we used to use, I think.

- All right. That's the news in this interview...
April 17th, 2005 04:48 PM
KeithRichardsWife I always thought it was keith lol
April 17th, 2005 06:48 PM
jpenn11 Probably Keith on Mickboy's version?
April 19th, 2005 04:00 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
Probably Keith on Mickboy's version?

I have seen this written many times here, but... what's MICKBOY?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour