ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© TransGlobe Photos with thanks to Gypsy
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones rare songs Return to archive
April 13th, 2005 08:51 PM
Jair The Stones still got rare songs around, hard to find stuff?
I heard once about Waiting on a Friend, recorded actually in '71, but I have this one.

Whith this internet change files, Kazaa etc, I think there is no more rare Rolling Stones stuff, except for the lives recordings.

Ideas?
Thanks!

-----------------------------------------
Hi Glencar!

April 13th, 2005 09:03 PM
glencar How's tricks, Crazy Jair?
April 14th, 2005 08:43 AM
Jair
quote:
glencar wrote:
How's tricks, Crazy Jair?

No trick, Glencar. Just the usual madness.

I'm now in love with the whole humanity.

[Edited by Jair]
April 15th, 2005 08:12 PM
Jair Oh yes, i remember now i've also heard about a reggae version of Start Me Up.
I have an alternative version of this song, not definitely reggae, though
April 15th, 2005 08:42 PM
KeithRichardsWife I have this cd that is called "Through the past darkly Big hits Vol 2" and It comes with 8 + bonus tracks , The bonus tracks are ...........

Memo from turner (Mick solo - Single 1969)

CockSucker Blues

Jumping Jack Flash (Backing Track)

Did everybody pay their dues (Early version of Street
Fighting Man)

Sometimes Happy, Sometimes Blue (Early version of Dandelion)

We Love you (Backing Track)

Brown Sugar (Alternate Version)

You can't always het what you want ( 7' mono mix)

[Edited by KeithRichardsWife]
[Edited by KeithRichardsWife]
April 15th, 2005 09:39 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
KeithRichardsWife wrote:

Sometimes Happy, Sometimes Blue (Early version of Dandelion)

well there you go...jair, i would say you are right the net has demystified just about everything (while,paradoxically, making the truth so much harder to find as the world is flooded with dis-information) - and certainly has helped do that for me with regards to the stones music - but for the internet and places like this i may well have never heard tthe likes of "the honeymoon tapes" or "worried about you" live at El Mocambo 'tho i was aware of their existence long bbefore i manged to hear them

but you always finding something new - i'd never heard of that track before
April 16th, 2005 12:57 AM
KeithRichardsWife Sometimes Happy, Sometimes blue is an odd song. The only part with lyrics is the chorus, The rest of the song keith just makes weird moaning type noises.
April 16th, 2005 10:38 AM
Madafaka Hey KeithRichardsWife, is that a Russian edition of TTPD?
April 16th, 2005 02:57 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
KeithRichardsWife wrote:
Sometimes Happy, Sometimes blue is an odd song.

I think that's the basis of "Dandelion".
April 16th, 2005 03:19 PM
rolling who Anyone ever hear the song "Too Many Cooks," with Mick on vocals and John Lennon on guitar?
April 16th, 2005 05:09 PM
KeithRichardsWife
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Hey KeithRichardsWife, is that a Russian edition of TTPD?

It said Uk on the cd.
April 17th, 2005 01:48 PM
Jair
quote:
rolling who wrote:
Anyone ever hear the song "Too Many Cooks," with Mick on vocals and John Lennon on guitar?

That's easy. And sux. You aren't missing nothing, imo
April 17th, 2005 10:04 PM
Taptrick

I'm still trying to locate Sending Out an Invitation with Mick sharing vocals with bobby Womack. I think Jah is Not Dead and Zip Mouth Angel are easily releaseable with some mixing.

April 18th, 2005 07:06 AM
Surround Sister Start Me Up was born as a reggae song.
April 18th, 2005 07:43 AM
Gazza Not actually true. It started as a rock track, then they tried several different styles, including a reggae one.

There was a good thread on this on IORR a few months ago. I managed to dig a post by Mathijs out of the archives:

I stick to my very own ears, and to the story as told by Chris Kimsey. First, there's about 7 or 8 Start Me Up / Never Stop versions available on vinyl or CD, and ALL these versions are from 1977. The sound of the drums is the absolute give-away (Charlie changed his blue Gretsch drum set to a natural Maple Gretsch drum set in 1977). I have never heard a version of SMU from 1975, not even the reggea version. Second, in the words of Chris Kimsey: Keith had this riff in Pathe-Marconi while recording Some Girls (so 1977), and they worked on it for an entire night, recording at least 40 takes. They tried everything: rock, punk, reggae, ballad, but it just never clicked. They forgot about it, until Kimsey offered Jagger to look through the archive for songs that could be used. Kimsey checked his notebooks, and searched for this Never Stop song. Kimsey remixed the song, but Jagger still wasn't convinced. The click happened when Bob Clearmountain took the tape, and used his -now very famous- trick: put a set of studio monitors in a large bathroom, place a mike in front of it, and record it with all the natural echo. An instant hit was born. Jagger rewrote the lyrics, and there you have it.

Mathijs

April 19th, 2005 02:31 AM
Zack
quote:
KeithRichardsWife wrote:
Sometimes Happy, Sometimes blue is an odd song. The only part with lyrics is the chorus, The rest of the song keith just makes weird moaning type noises.

It's a demo, KRW, and it shows clearly how Mick and Keith often work. Keith develops a riff, a melody, and a phrase (this one wasn't used, but others like "I can't get no . . . satisfaction" or "sha-dooby . . . shattered" or "Angie . . . aaayyngeeh" were) and then Mick fills in the words and they build the song around it. Personally, I love it. I just wish it was in better fidelity.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour