ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Keithfucius (playing air guitar) say
"Oops!!! And the firemen are all stoned with the stuff they found inside"
oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

The Redlands Fire - 1973 -Photo from the LFI Archives

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lost BBC Sessions Return to archive
04-21-03 12:05 PM
CS The BBC has admitted that it has lost much of its classic archive footage of performances by artists like the Beatles, Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones.

A spokesperson for the television channel revealed that only 55 of 3,500 performances for the Top of the Pops programme still exist in their official archives.

Many programmes, including the historic first episode filmed in Manchester and featuring the Rolling Stones, the Beatles and the Hollies, were either never recorded or have since been lost or thrown away.

The station was forced to make a statement about the problems with its music archive when older viewers complained that a BBC programme about the Beatles did not feature many of the channel's own classic recordings of the band.

Mark Hagen, producer of the show said: "I would have loved to use clips of the Beatles on Top of the Pops but unfortunately none of them survives in our archive.

"From around 3,500 1960s performances on the weekly show, the BBC now retains 55, and by no means the 55 you would choose to keep now."

A BBC spokeswoman added that changing attitudes to popular culture answered for many of the mistakes.

"Back then I don't think that people foresaw the historical value of such recordings.

"Because the shows went out live a lot of them were not recorded. But our information and archive department have launched a hunt to unearth any programmes that are missing."

The BBC has launched a nationwide "Treasure Hunt", asking people to hand over home recordings in order for them to be remastered for their archives.
04-21-03 12:20 PM
Honky Tonk Man The Beatles were actually only on Top Of The Pops once. They performed "Paperback Writer" and "Rain"

I watched thar Beatles TOTP Special and it was indeed rubbish. There were a couple of intersting performances. They showed them performing "Im Down" at Shea Stadium and "This Boy".

But you are right. How many Beatles fans really need to see the video for "Free As A Bird" again? YAWN....

Alex
04-21-03 01:06 PM
RubyFriday It�s a shame....they always talk about culture....but throw it away.Same here in germany .....many treasures from the 60�s are lost.
04-21-03 01:10 PM
Lazy Bones Sounds like pilferage to me. I guess they couldn't share it now, could they?!

Too bad.

Nice article, CS. Thanks.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003