ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Keithfucius (playing air guitar) say
"Oops!!! And the firemen are all stoned with the stuff they found inside"
oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

The Redlands Fire - 1973 -Photo from the LFI Archives

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Major (Overlooked) Turning Point in Stones History? Return to archive
04-20-03 11:02 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy What if, in 1974, instead of what happened, Mick went over to Ronnie's and said "Now you can keep "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" and I'll take "I Can Feel The Fire" for The Stones"?

People tend to think that's Ronnie's strongest solo number (or at least one of the strongest), but no one denies that he also had a rather large hand in writing "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" (along with several other tunes from the album).

What would have happened? Would Ronnie have had a huge hit on his hands and not bothered replacing Mick Taylor?

-tSYX --- Burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin'...
04-21-03 06:19 AM
justforyou Without the Keith treatment, it probably wouldn't have made it ... when Bill 'wrote' the riff of JJF, would it have hitted as an organ based song ?
04-21-03 08:32 AM
steel driving hammer Even when Ronnie was in the Small Faces Pop Group, he wanted to play w/ the Stones!

It's in his blood to be beside Keaf.

Interesting to see what would of happend though...

Prolly the same.
04-21-03 09:03 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
justforyou wrote:
Without the Keith treatment, it probably wouldn't have made it ... when Bill 'wrote' the riff of JJF, would it have hitted as an organ based song ?

No - but it already had the Keith treatment, as it were, the two of them were working on it while Keith lived in exile at Ronnie's place for a month.

-tSYX --- Let the tide in and set me free...
04-21-03 09:11 AM
nankerphelge You wanna talk about fly on the wall!!

Those first Keith/Ronnie sessions must have been wild. To just sit back and watch it unfold would have been so cool.

I'm sure it had the "why the fuck haven't we been doing this right along" feel!!!

04-21-03 09:20 AM
padre IORR with Ronnie on vocals? No hit.
04-21-03 09:44 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
padre wrote:
IORR with Ronnie on vocals? No hit.

The IORR that Mick sang? Hell, no - you're absolutely right. But the Chuck Berry-ed up version that the boys do live? That's the Ronnie vesion, and I dunno, he does have that kind of "Real Hard Rocker" growl in the lower register that would suit the number.

Does he sing it on Live And Eclectic, or is that Bernard Fowler? I'm tempted to say it's either Ronnie or Mac just because I don't think Bernard can get his voice to sound like he's smoking a pack a day.

So I dunno... then again, it is that menace of the studio version that makes the song so endearing.

-tSYX --- Shouldn't take it so hard...
04-22-03 05:22 AM
stonedinaustralia for me "fire" is a stones track in everyhting but name (and charlie watts) only - it would have made a much better single the "rock "n" roll" - the latter never striking me as one of the stones better efforts - chuck berry aside beware of songs with the phrase "rock 'n' roll" or worse still just "rock" in the title - admittedly there are some great ones but rock n roll songs about rock n roll often can be a little lacking in some kind of new idea

and "fire" was great - another great example of "the stones" synthessing some strain of black music with their own brand of bohemian beat and coming upwiht some greater than the sum of its influences - keith wold have sounded great doing ronnies vocal lines wih him

best songs with "rock n roll" in the title

"rock n roll music" - chuck

"rock and roll" lou reed

"rock and roll nigger" - patti smith
04-22-03 05:53 AM
Zeeta Yeah mate,

"be aware of songs with just Rock in the title":

"rock and a hard place"

definately not my favourite - A solo Mick J composed tune!

BUT

"If you can't rock me"

I like that one lots - even if IORR is a Taylor / Jagger composition!

Good theory though got any more?!
04-22-03 10:34 AM
stonedinaustralia if i use the word great again i may shoot myself!!

04-22-03 10:38 AM
Jumacfly Don t shoot yourself SIA, we need you here!!!
cheers
Ju
04-22-03 10:40 AM
Zeeta Don't worry stoned,
that was a great post, about a great subject, from a great guy!

Sorry!
04-22-03 11:12 AM
Jumacfly Everybody needs SIA to love!!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003