ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Keithfucius (playing air guitar) say
"Oops!!! And the firemen are all stoned with the stuff they found inside"
oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

The Redlands Fire - 1973 -Photo from the LFI Archives

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Shot Of Love Return to archive
04-20-03 07:09 PM
Mother baby Actually that was quite a good album,

I'm sure Dylan will never forgive the squares though.
04-20-03 08:02 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
Actually that was quite a good album,

I'm sure Dylan will never forgive the squares though.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about Dylan forgiving the squares, but I'm a fan of Shot of Love myself -- a song like "Trouble" is totally of a piece with the vibe of "Love and Theft", and "In the Summertime" is absolutely gorgeous - I love that line about the flood that set everybody free.

Not to mention the two heavy hitters on that record -- Every Grain of Sand and (eventually) Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar.

To bring Stones content into this thread, I've read that "Property of Jesus" is about Mick Jagger. Apparently Mick said some nasty things about Dylan's Christian conversion (don't know the source for the comments, but considering Mick's public persona when they were made in the late 70s, I'm sure they were pretty hateful.) and Dylan responded with that song. Its chorus -- "He's the property of Jesus, resent him to the bone, but you've got something better - You've got a heart of Stone." -- seems to indicate this little rumour is correct.
04-21-03 12:57 AM
Highwire Rob
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
To bring Stones content into this thread, I've read that "Property of Jesus" is about Mick Jagger. Apparently Mick said some nasty things about Dylan's Christian conversion (don't know the source for the comments, but considering Mick's public persona when they were made in the late 70s, I'm sure they were pretty hateful.) and Dylan responded with that song. Its chorus -- "He's the property of Jesus, resent him to the bone, but you've got something better - You've got a heart of Stone." -- seems to indicate this little rumour is correct.

That is interesting because of course Don McLean name-checks (under thin disguise) both Mick and Bob in American Pie. Dylans the Jester in a cast (recovering from his motorcycle accident):

[/i]Helter Skelter in a summer swelter the birds flew off with a fallout shelter, eight miles high and fallin fast, its the land that falled on the grass the players tried for a forward pass with the jester on the sidelines in a cast, now the half-time air was sweet perfume while the sergeants played a marching tune we all got up to dance oh but we never got the chance oh as the players tried to take the field the marching band refused to yield do you recall what was revealed, the day, the music, died. We started singin...

Chorus

Oh and there we were all in one place, a generation lost in space with no time left to start again, so come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack Flash sat on a candle stick because fire is the devils only friend, oh and as I watched him on the stage, my hands were clinched in fists of rage, no angel born in hell could break that satan's spell and as the planes climbed high into the night to light the sacrificial right I saw satan laughing with delight, the day, the music, died. He was singin...[/i]

[from American Pie, Don Mclean; lyrics posted at: http://www.rareexception.com/Garden/AmLyrics.php
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
04-21-03 12:17 PM
sonicrock not to forget
ron wood play on this in heart of mine and some else
04-21-03 07:01 PM
Gazza Woody only plays on "heart of mine" on that album

>I'm not entirely sure what you mean about Dylan forgiving the squares, but I'm a fan of Shot of Love myself -- a song like "Trouble" is totally of a piece with the vibe of "Love and Theft", and "In the Summertime" is absolutely gorgeous - I love that line about the flood that set everybody free.

thats my personal favourite on the album as well...that and Every grain of sand of course

>Not to mention the two heavy hitters on that record -- Every Grain of Sand and (eventually) Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar.

eventually is right cos its only on the CD reissue (it was a non-album B-side of "heart of mine" in the US originally whereas over here we got a re-make of "let it be me" instead). That said, he DID contrive to leave off the breathtakingly wonderful "Caribbean wind" because he could never be satisfied with any re-write he'd put together of the lyrics (the one released on "Biograph" sounds perfect to me!!) and the gorgeous "Angelina". A nice album indeed, but like many early 80's Dylan albums - what an record it COULD have been!

>To bring Stones content into this thread, I've read that "Property of Jesus" is about Mick Jagger. Apparently Mick said some nasty things about Dylan's Christian conversion (don't know the source for the comments, but considering Mick's public persona when they were made in the late 70s, I'm sure they were pretty hateful.) and Dylan responded with that song. Its chorus -- "He's the property of Jesus, resent him to the bone, but you've got something better - You've got a heart of Stone." -- seems to indicate this little rumour is correct.

first Ive heard of it, Nasty. Interesting theory but I'd doubt it personally as the rest of the lyrics are about the ridicule a Christian has to deal with in contemporary, "fashionable" society - a sort of sequel to "I Believe In You" if you like. If anything, the song is practically autobiographical. I've never read Jagger say anything scathing about Bob's conversion..when Rhona Barrett interviewed him in Detroit on the '81 tour (6 months AFTER that song came out) for "television : inside and out" she asks him for a few off the cuff one-line comments when she throws a list of celebrities at him (Reagan,Springsteen, the Pope etc.). When she prompts him with "Bob Dylan" he simply laughs and says "religious maniac - beautiful songwriter". Thats about the only negative thing I can think of Mick saying about the subject publicly although I stand to be corrected of course!!

04-21-03 08:32 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

He DID contrive to leave off the breathtakingly wonderful "Caribbean wind" because he could never be satisfied with any re-write he'd put together of the lyrics (the one released on "Biograph" sounds perfect to me!!)

Have you heard the other studio take?

Or the live one?

04-21-03 11:06 PM
Gazza >Have you heard the other studio take? Or the live one?

yeah I have 3 versions..all have lyrical differences

the one that eventually appeared on "Biograph" of course, then..

a terrific live version (the only performance ever) from Fox Warfield, san Francisco 12.11.80. (its preceded by a wonderful rap about Leadbelly which has an obvious link to the flak Dylan had recently received for changing HIS "message", with the conclusion "but he hadnt changed - he was the SAME man..")

and finally a version from (I think) Studio 55,LA in spring 1981 which appears on either volume 1 or 2 (I'll have to look it up) of the "Genuine Bootleg Series". some people prefer this version,even though its not a finished "take" personally I'm not as sold on the lyrics as the other two versions.
04-21-03 11:55 PM
Nasty Habits The live one knocks my brains out. What a great moment to be a Dylan fan. I imagine sitting out there in the audience, convinced and pleasantly surprised that the music at these gospel shows is so great, even if it still bugged me that Dylan has sold out to Jesus. Then he tells that perfect story about Leadbelly, and hits me with Caribbean Wind out of NOWHERE. Watching that would have given me an undying belief in the eternal Bob, if nothing else.

Although there are commentators bent on telling me that the first studio version beats the second one (and it does, musically), I am not sure which version has the better lyrics, either. (Like most of the revisions of the Infidels tunes like Jokerman and Sweetheart Like You that come clear when you hear the Genuine Bootleg Series, it seems like you win a few and lose a few.)

But neither version can touch the live one.

Kind of like the studio version of Abandoned Love verses that solo acoustic one at the Bottom Line.

Dylan on May 14, one block from my workplace! Have you seen the man since he started tickling the ivories?

04-22-03 02:05 AM
Mother baby
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
What a great moment to be a Dylan fan.

It's always a great moment to be a Dylan fan. That guy is cool.

04-22-03 11:09 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

It's always a great moment to be a Dylan fan. That guy is cool.

There were some shows I saw in the mid 90s where it was not so great to be a Bob Dylan fan, let me tell ya.

"Hey Nasty! I saw your boy Dylan last night! HE SUCKED! You want to tell me that was a good show? Do ya? Classic rock loser!"

I recall a particularly dreary evening at the Fox Theater in St. Louis in, what was it, '92? '93?

Oh! And this godawful, lifeless show in Columbia, MO on the Stephens College campus with girls dancing on the stage and the world's worst version of "God Knows".

Dark days, Mama BB.

Thankfully, those days and nights are gone.
04-22-03 11:19 AM
Gazza I feel privileged to have been on the planet at the same time as him

I take the off years with the good ones. I just love the quirky, contrary little bastard - warts and all. I like Mother Baby's comment actually, being a Bob fan is never boring.

That "just written" live 1975 version of "abandoned love" is a gem. thanks for reminding me of it. Wasnt the Bottom Line though, but The Other End (about ten minutes walk away though!)during a Ramblin' Jack Elliott show, I think. (sorry, I'm a pedantic bastard and my anally retentive side takes over too often..)

Nasty - the last Dylan shows I was at were his two London shows last May. He hasnt been this side of the pond since then and the ivory tinkling and bizarre cover version stuff only started during his fall tour in the US. My sources tell me he'll be in the UK in late October/early November again so hopefully he'll treat us to some head scratching surprises then
[Edited by Gazza]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003