ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Keithfucius (playing air guitar) say
"Oops!!! And the firemen are all stoned with the stuff they found inside"
oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

The Redlands Fire - 1973 -Photo from the LFI Archives

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: REGGAE ALERT! Toots and the Maytals! (ssc) Return to archive
04-19-03 12:15 PM
Nasty Habits Pick it up mister!

Hear what I say!

And you won't get hurt! No! No! No!

Tonight, in Asheville, NC live on stage --

The one

The only

the pressure dropper

the sweet

the dandy

the monkey man

the tough timer

the reggay rhymer --

Toots Hibbert and the Maytals!

So many years, so many cocked up, badly timed misses getting to see this incredible living legend live, and finally, for real, tonight is the night!

Toots has been there from the very beginning, man, and there is no one in reggae music with a more exciting voice or with better songs.

54-46 Was My Number is one of the five best songs of all time, period, by anyone anywhere. And, for the bare minimum of Stones content, this song is a probable source for the 1989 arrangement of "Satisfaction".

If you aren't hip to the Toots and the Maytals thing -- you must get with the happening groove!

May I recommend:

Is time for Funky Kingston, yah!

Can you hit me one time?

Two times?!

Three times?!?

Four Times?!?!

Nasty excited.
04-19-03 02:09 PM
sirmoonie Go Nasty!

Toots is something else. Ain't your everyday reggae.

Not fully up to speed on all his work, but getting there fast and enjoying the ride.

Enjoy! Cheers!
04-19-03 06:38 PM
Phog I saw Toots just a few nights ago in Lawrence, KS. My fourth Toots show since '92. He was as great as ever. Enjoy the gig.
Incidentally, that's Toots you hear over the P.A. once the Stones leave the stage. On this tour, anyway.
04-19-03 06:47 PM
stonedinaustralia hey hey nasty

i can understand your enthusiasms

toots is tops

look forward to a review
04-19-03 08:40 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Phog wrote:
I saw Toots just a few nights ago in Lawrence, KS. My fourth Toots show since '92. He was as great as ever. Enjoy the gig.
Incidentally, that's Toots you hear over the P.A. once the Stones leave the stage. On this tour, anyway.

Yo Phog -- where did Toots play in Lawrence? Haven't seen a gig there in two years, I think. Used to see gigs there all the time - either at the Replay, or that club around the corner from it, or the big theater up at the top of the hill whose name I misremember.
04-20-03 05:11 PM
Phog Toots played at the Bottleneck. The theater up on top of the hill is Liberty Hall, where I saw a spoken word performance by Jello Biafra last night. Pretty funny shit.
How was your Toots show?
04-20-03 05:19 PM
Gazza Toots is great. Its nice that the Stones are playing the Maytals "Monkey Man" over the PA at their shows on this tour

everyone should hear their amazing version of "take me home country roads"..has to be heard to be believed!
04-20-03 05:25 PM
Nasty Habits It was pretty great -- Toots really had control of the crowd, who were jumping and dancing madly from beginning to end. It was very cool the way he'd have the band double time the numbers at the end of each song to really get the energy in the room even higher. He did an awful lot of hugging and hand shaking with the audience, and seemed a genuinely open, friendly person. I saw him come in before the show, reached out my hand to shake his, and he gave me a big hug! He seemed genuinely touched that I recognized him. I liked the song selection -- it was especially nice to hear "One Eye Enos" -- I think that was the oldie that surprised me most. The energy in the room was truly positive and happy - the entire place was just livid with groove.

Reservations: The guitar player's intro to the show was particularly scary -- he was playing all these David Gilmour licks and I thought I was in for some white boy bullshit, but he behaved himself very well during the course of the show and the arrangements were very rootsy and free from a lot of modernization. I really miss actual Maytals -- it seem strange that a music based entirely on three piece call and response vocalizing only have the front man but not the backups. He used the audience as his backup, but it would have been more exciting if there were a couple of singers on stage with him. It was also slightly bothersome to hear the horns coming out of a keyboard -- actual ska is so based on horns that their absence and the inadequacy of simulated brass became evident about halfway through the show, when I kind of stopped dancing and really started listening.

Critical commentary aside, I had a blast. I loved the way he'd sort of hold the mike far away from his mouth and project into it -- it gave his vocals a really unique and beautiful sound. I enjoyed his antics during Monkey Man -- I assume he pulls people up from the audience at all the shows during this number. He is still a very good dancer and looks absolutely fantastic for his age.

GAZZA: Country Roads was easily the number the audience ate up most greedily last night -- there was not a person in the crowd not singing with it. It was fun to see the folks unprepared for it realize what it was, go into quick shock (a John Denver song?!?) and then get it and go nuts.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
04-20-03 06:38 PM
Zeeta Nasty:

I downloaded "54 - 46" last night due to your antics!

I had heard pressure drop before and dug it but 56-46 is just cool as fuck man - love the "diggy dine dines" at the end especially!

Sounds ace - cheers for review
04-20-03 08:08 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Nasty:

I downloaded "54 - 46" last night due to your antics!

I had heard pressure drop before and dug it but 56-46 is just cool as fuck man - love the "diggy dine dines" at the end especially!

Sounds ace - cheers for review

Glad you like it --- that scat part is indeed the heart of the song and one of the coolest things I've ever heard. The more I listen to it the more in awe I become of his groove. Scatimus groovimus maximus - Louis Armstrong after some primo Jamaican spliff, and pure musical joy besides.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003