ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Thanks Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Serbia desperate to secure Rolling Stones gig Return to archive
20th April 2006 09:05 AM
Ten Thousand Motels SERBIA DESPERATE TO SECURE ROLLING STONES GIG

Serbia is so desperate to secure a ROLLING STONES concert in capital Belgrade, government officials have promised to fund all the preparatory work themselves. While the British rockers are scheduled to play neighbouring Zagreb, Croatia, on their 2006 tour, as well as a string of other European cities, they have so far spurned former warzone Serbia. However, Finance Minister and rock enthusiast MLADJAN DINKIC hopes the state offer - of the city's Hippodrome racecourse venue with a 100,000 fan capacity - will change the BROWN SUGAR hitmakers' minds. He says, "This would mean public companies would do all the preparatory work at their own expense. "They would prepare the grounds, installations, take care of all the logistics." The Rolling Stones were due to perform in Belgrade in 2003 but ditched the gig after then Prime Minister ZORAN DJINDJIC was murdered. They have yet to respond to the offer.

20/04/2006 09:28
contactmusic

20th April 2006 09:08 AM
Break The Spell It's great that their finance minister is a fan and all, but I wonder what kind of crowd they will draw there?? The place there holds 100,000 so they seem optimistic if nothing else.
20th April 2006 10:12 AM
Ihavelotsajam There are a lot of Stones fans in serbia, its not as big a shithole as the world likes to make it. They were more popular than beatles for a while there.
20th April 2006 10:18 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
There are a lot of Stones fans in serbia, its not as big a shithole as the world likes to make it. They were more popular than beatles for a while there.

If I'm not mistaken there was a regular here from Serbia for awhile. Can't remember the name though.
20th April 2006 10:20 AM
Ihavelotsajam Yeah and on the other boards as well. I'm from Serbia originally, although i haven';t lived there anywhere near long enough to know the culture well. but i do know that they like their rock and roll and their punk, and there have been some really good bands in that area-- serbia croatia bosnia, etc. It just hasn't had a good couple of decades, lol, to say the least.
20th April 2006 11:43 AM
gimmekeef They better grab it quick before Bon Jovi moves in for the kill
20th April 2006 11:46 AM
nanatod Didn't the late New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan say something to the effect that one day people were going to be nostalgic about the breakup of the Soviet Union and the fall of the Iron Curtain?

[Edited by nanatod]
20th April 2006 12:10 PM
glencar Let them have their show!
20th April 2006 12:21 PM
lotsajizz Serbia shall NOT be greeted....

20th April 2006 12:35 PM
glencar Now they'll just invade Croatia!
20th April 2006 12:54 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Didn't the late New York Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan say something to the effect that one day people were going to be nostalgic about the breakup of the Soviet Union and the fall of the Iron Curtain?

[Edited by nanatod]

Serbia had little of the type of strict communism that the Soviet Union had. Maybe that's why most people there KNOW the Stones and even want them to play there at all. The Balkan troubles are more ethnic than communist oriented.
Has nothing to do with political
nostalgia.
20th April 2006 01:02 PM
lotsajizz I'd be happy with the Stones playing Zagreb or Sarajevo...but NEVER Belgrade!!

20th April 2006 01:06 PM
Ihavelotsajam Got a problem with Belgrade?
20th April 2006 03:26 PM
mandrack First of all,
Belgrade was announced on the official site and then dissapered (obviously due to lack of professionalism by local promoter).
Regarding Serbia as a place for a gig, I assume that it's going to be one of the hottest gig on the tour (similar to Argentina).
The reasons are simple-huge fan base and lack of large events in the last decade.
I remember Budapest in 1995 when more than 10,000 fans went by buses and cars to attend the concert (one of the shows with best atmosphere that I have seen)

P.S>lotsajizz if you have anything against Belgrade, please explain
20th April 2006 03:29 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
mandrack wrote:
First of all,
Belgrade was announced on the official site and then dissapered (obviously due to lack of professionalism by local promoter).
Regarding Serbia as a place for a gig, I assume that it's going to be one of the hottest gig on the tour (similar to Argentina).
The reasons are simple-huge fan base and lack of large events in the last decade.
I remember Budapest in 1995 when more than 10,000 fans went by buses and cars to attend the concert (one of the shows with best atmosphere that I have seen)

P.S>lotsajizz if you have anything against Belgrade, please explain

Who's that to the left of Keith in your avatar?? Its kind of small, but from what I can see, it kind of looks like Scott Ian.
20th April 2006 03:39 PM
mandrack Justin Timberlake
20th April 2006 03:40 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
mandrack wrote:
Justin Timberlake

Haha, I can see it now. Certainly not one of the highpoints of their live career.
20th April 2006 04:03 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
Got a problem with Belgrade?

yup...lots

20th April 2006 04:37 PM
glencar Belgrade sounds so...classy!
20th April 2006 09:53 PM
Soldatti Let's hope that this time they could get a show after the letdown of 2003.
21st April 2006 09:41 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

yup...lots

Then have the balls to expand on that.
21st April 2006 10:47 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

If I'm not mistaken there was a regular here from Serbia for awhile. Can't remember the name though.

We have (had) many, one of them is Voja who is the one who posts often (well it's not jb of course) and it's a regular of Rocks off since the early days.

This is Olja, another Serbian fan with Lisa after the Prague show

I can't find a picture sent by Voja of many Serbian fans dressing all the same before a show... will post later
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)